Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Portable Cabin Fans

O.K. all you smart shoppers: I'm thinking about bring a portable fan with me for our cabin in November. Every cruise we say it would be nice to have one, especially while getting dressed. But, obviously there are LOTS of different ones out there. I figured someone out there has to have done this, maybe a number of you. So, I'd like to ask for a little input on what might be good out there (brand, style). My basic requirements would be:

Plug-In
Quiet (or at least not too noisy)
Moves a decent amount of air
Not too big
Foldable/collapsible

Beyond that, let me know what you use, and where you purchased (store, website, etc). I've been to a few stores and sat by the blood pressure machine (it is near an outlet) unpacking potential candidates and trying them out, with no success I might add. Obviously a little tedious so I'm hoping to streamline the process with your suggestions.

Thanks,

Chip
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I found one just like that, small and portable, worked well for us. I found it at Target, you should be able to find something, price was very reasonable, just shop around your local area.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Get a small box fan and place it into a suitcase.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

We found a 10" square battery operated 2 speed fan that came with an AC adapter in Walgreens and Wal*Mart. It has an easy carry handle and has an easy to store, compact design and weighs less than 3 lbs.

The fan packs easily in a suitcase and has lots of power, it worked out great in our stateroom. I purchased it on sale for under $15.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I found one just like that, small and portable, worked well for us. I found it at Target, you should be able to find something, price was very reasonable, just shop around your local area.
We've probably got the same one Donna has. Very small (only about 5 or 6") but moves quite a lot of air. Very easy to pack, light weight, and a/c powered. I usually just put it on the vanity counter top in the cabin, and plug it into the a/c outlet. Available at Target, and very inexpensive.

Ken
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I just bought another nice one at Walmart marked down from $20 to $7. It is 10 inches and powerful! Look also in camping sections but I found my fan in the summer clearance section of Walmart. I bought four for hurricane season same size same brand as this one called QCOOL. I buy all their products such as hand held fans etc. They work great.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Ro, it sounds like the same fan I purchased at Wal*Mart, 02 brand name on the box. I also purchased a few extra fans to use if we lose power for any length of time and gave a couple to my daughter (she brings one on all her cruises, loves it).
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi folks, thanks for all the pointers. Actually, I was at Target when I was testing the fans. Got some funny looks, but hey, it worked. One I checked had poor airflow. One was very loud ( I can sleep through anything but probably not this), and one had fan blades but you would never have guessed it as it pretty much spun but moved no air. I could blow more air myself (ask my wife). So it does show that you can't go by the boxes when shopping. I found one that worked great, but it would almost have required it's own suitcase. So, I'll run out and investigate some of the ones you all have mentioned and I'll post if I find anything. thanks.

Chip
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Admiral

RoseT thats the fan 10 inch box I buy exactly. Ituses batterys which last a long time it seems in the ones I use. I bought them for hurricane season but will probably pack one for the cruise in April on the Glory as the cabin always gets so hot at different times of the night. It is not heavy to carry either. You have to try that whole line of Q2 fans I use the ones that hang around your neck on a cord that direct air up to your face on plane rides and amusement parks I go to. Makes me oh so comfortable in the heat of FLa in the summer months!

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now it's turned into an adventure. Between last week when I was testing fans at Target and today, the fans have gone bye bye everywhere until next year. No one had any, except one giant box fan in a ripped box at K-Mart. Part of living this far north. But, there is a giant selection of space heaters, which would be useful, I guess, if I was cruising to Antarctica. So I guess I'll be doing the web search for something. Or possibly I might just wait until I get to Florida the day before sailing and do a little shopping down there. I'd have to assume they have them year round. What a difference a few days makes.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Did you get to Walmart? Are you looking in the camping section of sporting stores and department store. Coleman fans are in the camping sporting sections of stores. Walmart and K mart has the biggest camping sections. They can also order one in from another store. Look on Sharper Image to on web site. I was just looking at the little misting fan on the Sharper Image site. Walgreens drug store has great little fans. See if the camping sections of walmart has one if not we will can come up with a solution for you.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks. Actually, i tried all those places and that's where I met up with the empty shelves or shelves now filled with space heaters. Literally it was 3 days after i had seen the full shelves at one Target in Harrisburg Pa while staying in a hotel next door. So I must have been in the middle of the changeover. But, on the plus side, I did find a number of fans online. Since I have had bad experiences buying fans for desks, etc and getting them home to find they were either very noisy or ineffective, I had a hard time picking one out. But one website had a great return policy for any reason so i ordered 3 of them and can return which ones I don't want. I also found a website for a somewhat well known fan manufacturer that was having a big sale on an unusual looking model that also had free shipping, so I ordered that one. As a result, in about a week, I'll be having a big 'blow-off' (can you say that in polite company?) to determine which fan will be travelling with me.

Chip
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Be sure to let us know which fan wins the "BIG BLOWOFF". I'd be really interested to know. 8)

Thanks,

Ken
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Admiral

chipmeister,
For reasons that make no sense to me, our Florida stores still assume that the merchandise should follow the seasons...as they are up north. Found those fans at Wal Mart yesterday...on clearance. The whole thing bugs me. While it is possible to find a bathing suit during winter, they are only in the very overpriced tourist stores, while I can find a winter coat in any mall in winter. HUH?
Marty the confused