CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   What I would like in my cabin (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/341050-what-i-would-like-my-cabin.html)

Nothin but blue skies October 11th, 2007 05:36 PM

What I would like in my cabin

I do appreciate the little bowl of sample size shampoos, razor, etc., that is placed in the cabin by Carnival, although there are several items I never use. I would like to have included a small hand sanitizer to carry around with us, to help control germs from passenger to passenger. I always bring one of these, but most people don't. The hand sanitizer that I received recently at a seminar is a spray bottle and the cap has a clip similar to the clips on a fountain pen. It can be carried easily in a small purse or in your pocket.

It would also be nice to have a small box of kleenex on the bedside table,a magnifying mirror, and an electrical outlet in the bathroom for hairdryers or curling irons. The only ones I have seen in the bathrooms are for electric razors.

Last, but not least, I wish the room service meals were better and that you could get meals delivered (or take-out) from the dining rooms. I know that you can pick up a tray in the buffet and take it to your cabin, but you can't get the meals that are served in the dining room. We love having most of meals in the dining room and really detest the buffet food. There are times on a very port intensive cruise that we are tired at the end of the day and would just love to relax in our room with a decent meal in the evening. Since it does not cost the cruiseline any extra to prepare the dining room meal for take-out/delivery than it does if I go and sit in the dining room, I don't understand their reluctance in doing this.

colorcrazie October 12th, 2007 01:32 PM

On our last HAL cruise, they did allow you to order room service from the dining room menu during dining room times. One formal night, my DH was worn out from an ambitious shore excursion. I went to the dining room, but he ended up eating surf and turf in his skivies, in bed, watching a movie. He still thinks of that as his idea of heaven on the high seas.
Marty

mehawk November 30th, 2007 05:34 PM

More english television channels for the night.

CA Cruiser November 30th, 2007 06:46 PM

I agree Nothing but blue skies, I always take the extra kleenex box in the bathroom for my bedside table. One thing that I think Carnival has but we wish other ships would have are a couple of hat hooks in the room on the wall to hang up our camera, hats, windbreakers, etc. Some ships have them in great places but there were none on Princess recently. We have had magnifying mirrors which is nice but I always bring my small 10X one with suction cups. It comes in very handy.

rescuedad December 31st, 2007 12:50 PM

Jennifer Aniston!

skymaster January 18th, 2008 07:20 PM

Catherine Bell! 8) (That'll be the day) I'd like Fox news channel, as well as CNN and the other major networks. I miss "Fox and Friends" in the mornings.

Ken
"SkyMaster"

Nothin but blue skies January 22nd, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymaster
Catherine Bell! 8) (That'll be the day) I'd like Fox news channel, as well as CNN and the other major networks. I miss "Fox and Friends" in the mornings.

Ken
"SkyMaster"

We too, like to watch Fox and Friends in the mornings while we have our coffee and miss it while we are cruising. But now, you have me wondering and trying to remember which news network we have been watching on the ship. Maybe Good Morning America or something like that. Anyone know the answer to this one?

SUSAN CURTIS March 10th, 2008 01:37 AM

a small microwave for popcorn. I love to eat popcorn while watching tv.

Paul Motter March 10th, 2008 05:10 AM

Windstar serves popcorn in your cabin (from room service) and they have DVD players in every stateroom and a huge library. Its simple but a great thing to do.

I do recall though that the popcron came in a wire bowl that the kernals could fall right through - pretty silly way to mess up a really good thing.

A lot of cruise lines will let order from the dining room menu if dinner is being served. I believe Holland America will, and I have had it done on Costa.

Of course the Luxury lines like Silversea all do - they will send a butler to bring it course by course, set up a table with a tablecloth and everything. Perfect for when you don't feel like dressing for dinner.

I guess if you don't like buffets you are pretty limited. Fortunately, I do like them. These days they aren't just buffets, they are hot pizza, hamburgers, Asian food. carnival even has Sushi and their bigger ships have an excellent seafood bar (top deck) with cioppinno, mussels, etc.

Some of the dinner-time buffets could be better, though. They used to put more effort into making them a true alternative to the dining room. now they seem more like an afterthought.

Marc March 10th, 2008 05:16 AM

Paul, lots of good points. I love ordering popcorn from room service and watching a movie. I also enjoying ordering a steak and caesar salad at 3am on occassion. These are "small things" that tend to set cruise lines apart.

Many people just look at price at "activities" when choosing a vacation; there truly are a lot more factors to consider.

mehawk March 10th, 2008 05:58 AM

More shower room

Nothin but blue skies March 18th, 2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
More shower room

That is a really good one! Although, I haven't personally done this, I know some cruisers who go down and use the showers in the spa/gym area because they are usually larger than the ones in the cabin. This allows all passengers in the cabin ample time to shower and dress for dinner or port days when they might otherwise be rushed.

DianeTexas April 4th, 2008 05:35 AM

I would like to see a hamper for your dirty clothes. Maybe some extra pillows. Alarm clocks

Paul Motter April 4th, 2008 12:33 PM

I think the one thing we always miss is drawer space. They always give you all kinds of closet space but hardly any drawers.

I also think the old-style TVs are so out of date now there is NO reason not have a flat-panel in every room.

I would also love to see the US CNN or Fox news. The international version of CNN is so boring. I am sorry, but I don't need an update on Zimbabwe's elections every 1/2 hour.

ESS May 30th, 2008 08:53 PM

What I would like to see in the cabins is......

a white noise channel available in the stereo system (some of our cabins had built in music) so I can put it on at night and sleep without having to worry about people yelling and screaming in the halls at 2am or an all night party next door

DeepSpace June 9th, 2008 01:47 AM

More shower room would be nice. Popcorn is a plus.

More English speaking TV.

Joe323 June 18th, 2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
More shower room

That is a really good one! Although, I haven't personally done this, I know some cruisers who go down and use the showers in the spa/gym area because they are usually larger than the ones in the cabin. This allows all passengers in the cabin ample time to shower and dress for dinner or port days when they might otherwise be rushed.

Actually I use the gym shower anyway it has multiple heads

jskow September 27th, 2008 02:55 PM

an alarm clock with a back light would be nice. The inside cabins are soooo dark

tmt October 2nd, 2008 04:06 PM

Tea/Cofee making facilities on ALL cruise lines as my hubby makes me a cuppa while we wake up and come to, and we don't have to wait for room service or go to the buffet straight away.

Nothin but blue skies November 4th, 2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmt
Tea/Cofee making facilities on ALL cruise lines as my hubby makes me a cuppa while we wake up and come to, and we don't have to wait for room service or go to the buffet straight away.

We love to have a cup of coffee before getting dressed in the morning. Instead of calling room service after we wake up, we pre-order before going to bed at night. We just put the continental menu hangar on our door knob and put the time we want to get up. This also gives us a wake up call every morning.[/youtube]

spencercoop December 16th, 2008 12:16 AM

I think every cruise line needs to add storage in the bathroom like Carnival has on the Spirit and Conquest class ships. You have 6 shelves in the bathroom which is a lot of room. I have talked to other people that say make sure you bring the shoe organizer for storage for the bathroom, but with Carnical's newer ships you don't really need it.

Also I wish all the ships have what the Spirit class ships have. A nightstand with 3 drawers and there are two in each room. But the only problem they only have these in the interior rooms. They are nice becuse it gives you a lot more drawer space.

DougR. December 16th, 2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Ken
"SkyMaster"

I am afraid that having Fox News would cause the ship to list heavily to the starboard. LOL

Seriously on the last cruise on the Monarch they had Fox News.

green_rd December 16th, 2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougR.
Quote:

Ken
"SkyMaster"

I am afraid that having Fox News would cause the ship to list heavily to the starboard. LOL

Seriously on the last cruise on the Monarch they had Fox News.

A new question for the passenger profile:
"How do you like your news; port, starboard, or on an even keel?" (good luck finding that one).

Paul Motter December 16th, 2008 10:23 PM

Because it wasn't mentioned, I will. NCL puts coffee machines, with coffee and teabags, in all of their cabins. I got it straight from Doug Ward (the Berlitz Guide author) that it is due to the Asian influence of Star Cruises. Apparently the Asians will not sleep anywhere that does not have a way for them to make their tea.

That is also the reason the NCL ships have bigger bathrooms with doors to separate the toilet / sink / shower. Once again, the Asian influence. Apparently they tend to look upon our bodily service stations as primitive and unsanitary. Actually, I have been to China, and I can tell you they are not nearly as picky as the Japanese & Malaysians are...

jasonconnelly February 11th, 2009 11:46 AM

Re: What I would like in my cabin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Last, but not least, I wish the room service meals were better and that you could get meals delivered (or take-out) from the dining rooms. I know that you can pick up a tray in the buffet and take it to your cabin, but you can't get the meals that are served in the dining room.

The last time I was on RCL (2 years ago) we ordered the dining room menu from room service and ate in our room. We spread it all out on the bed and pigged out in our jammies. It was nice.

colorcrazie February 11th, 2009 03:26 PM

You can order room service from the dinner menu on HAL during dinner hours. Hubby loves this.
Marty

susierphillips February 13th, 2009 02:13 PM

better soap products on all lines. I like them all but Holland America has the very best. Elemis. :D

kryos March 12th, 2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUSAN CURTIS
a small microwave for popcorn. I love to eat popcorn while watching tv.

I'd be happy if the rooms had a small alarm clock! That's something I never understood ... why cabins on ships are not equipped with an alarm clock ... maybe something that could take CD's too. You get that in most hotel rooms, do you not? While I can understand that a regular radio probably wouldn't work very well, there is no reason why an alarm clock, or one with a CD, or one with pre-recorded music channels wouldn't work.

I wonder why they don't have them?

As for the microwaves, I asked about that once. I mentioned as I was leaving the Pinnacle Grill one evening that I felt so bad leaving half my meal, but I just couldn't eat it. I had gotten the petite fillet, so it wasn't a matter of ordering too much. I just don't eat very much in one sitting and I lamented that it was a shame there was not a microwave in the cabin so that I could enjoy the rest of my meal for lunch the next day. I think the reason they don't put microwaves in the cabins is specifically because they don't want passengers eating in there. It can draw bugs and other pests that they would just rather not deal with.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Aerogirl March 19th, 2009 08:44 AM

George Clooney LOL

SUSAN CURTIS September 16th, 2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1172710)
Because it wasn't mentioned, I will. NCL puts coffee machines, with coffee and teabags, in all of their cabins. I got it straight from Doug Ward (the Berlitz Guide author) that it is due to the Asian influence of Star Cruises. Apparently the Asians will not sleep anywhere that does not have a way for them to make their tea.

That is also the reason the NCL ships have bigger bathrooms with doors to separate the toilet / sink / shower. Once again, the Asian influence. Apparently they tend to look upon our bodily service stations as primitive and unsanitary. Actually, I have been to China, and I can tell you they are not nearly as picky as the Japanese & Malaysians are...

Okay so if they put coffee pots in the cabins again, I don't understand why I can not bring my automatic pot to heat water for coffee! My pot is a fire hazard and theirs is not? ( Okay I'm done. I know there are only 2 types of fair, the State and the County:)