Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005
Default BYOB

I'm going on my first cruise in June. I just want to know everyone's thoughts about sneaking your own booze on board. If anyone has any secrets on the topic they would like to share, I would appreciate it.

Is it easier if you just take your own bags on board rather than give them to the porters? That's something my husband and I don't mind.

I plan on drinking quite a bit over vacation since I cannot currently drink due to my job requirements. I'm not trying to be a complete cheapskate, but why pay more when you can bring your own? Why go buy a drink at the bar to take back to my room or wait on room service when I can pour my own drink and go enjoy it on my balcony?
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

People have put alchol in their checked bags. Unless your luggage is small enough to fit through the scanners, you can't just carry your own bags onboard. You need to turn them over to the porters at the pier. You can take any carry-on with you, they usually fit through the scanners, the same kind you see at the airport.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

I found this info helpful on carnival connections you can order liquor before and hand have it sent to your room the phone # is 1800-522-7648. It about 40.00 a liter. I'm not sure about ordering beer or wine though. I have not tryed this yet. But it seems to me worth it then risking it spilling it on your luggage or getting it taken away. They also said that you only can do this ahead of time you cant call on ship..
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
First Mate

All bags that go aboard get scanned so think about transefering the contraband to something that doesnt look like a bottle of contraband.

Also make sure they wont break or leak.

If your going on NCL they are pretty aggressive at snagging stuff. Other cruise lines tend to look the other way unless its spring break type travel time.

A quick seach here will yield numerous threads discussing this and various ways people go about it.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

You obviosuly want to bring the booze, so why not take one bottle in the suitcase and leave it with porters (lock the bag, so if the lock is broken then you know they went in to take it), and the other bottle in the carry on with you. This will allow you double the chance one bottle will get through....

You can also try the mouthwash bottle trick--seal the bottle shut with tape and throw it in the suitcase and hand it off to ports. How will the porters know that bottle of mouthwash is rum, or whiskey, or vodka....

I know others who have the zero tolerance of alcohol, even on their own personal time on days off, and when you go for holidays you want to be able to enjoy a little of the hard stuff....Me, I don't drink much, so when I buy a bottle of booze and bring it home it is usually a gift for someone else...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Captain

What cruiseline are you sailing on?
What kind of booze are we talking about?

I have been told people have better luck w/ smuggling in their checked bags rather than carryons. Hide it well in shoes, pant legs @ bottom of luggage. Double bag it in ziplock bags to prevent leakage. Don't get greedy --- just try a small bottle or two. More will be less likely to get through unnoticed.

And good luck. Let us know how you liked your cruise and if you are successful.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Why not just cruise on a line that doesn't mind how much alcohol you bring on; ie, an all inclusive cruise line. Even sneaking alcohol onboard to drink on your balcony, you will still run up quite a barbill with drinks in lounges and at dinner.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Admiral

The original post was dated October 16, 2007. I think the OP went on her cruise already. I hope or else she really likes to book in advance.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
What cruiseline are you sailing on?
What kind of booze are we talking about?

I have been told people have better luck w/ smuggling in their checked bags rather than carryons. Hide it well in shoes, pant legs @ bottom of luggage. Double bag it in ziplock bags to prevent leakage. Don't get greedy --- just try a small bottle or two. More will be less likely to get through unnoticed.

And good luck. Let us know how you liked your cruise and if you are successful.

You wont get by putting it in your carry-on as security will confiscated it as it exceeds the 4 oz rule. Check out the rules for carrying liquids. I carry mine in my checked bag.
Zuiderdam 2006
Westerdam 2007
Statendam 2008
River Odyssey 2008
Prinsendam 2009
Volendam Booked for 10-26-09
Bizet Booked for 5- 7-10
Old June 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Default Don't Ruin Your Cruise

You will not be able to take on board in your carry on baggage ANY bottles that exceed the federal limits.You also have to put in plastic bags your liquids which are screeded by TSA at the airport. In your cheekd baggage do you really want to put glass bottles or liquor in with your good clothes. This seems to be asking for a diaster. Just take a look out the window of your place and note the tossing of that luggage by the baggage handlers. Now if you are not flying and are driving to the port, the matter changs a lot. Your carry on baggage will have to go though a scanner and if the scanner operator sees the bottles, which most likely he will, you may be ask to open your suitcase and what happens next just depends upon how well that scanners' day has gone thus far. Let's assume it has gone well and he hardly notices the botttles. Good for you, pick up your bags and head for your room. If it is not carry on and you have to check it once again and the handleing of the bags is generally not all that gentle so you run a very good chance that the bottles will break and your clothes will have to be cleaned. that cleaning aboard ship will greatly exceed the savings you have made by bringing aboard liquor.There is not a good answer to what you want to do. Sorry!
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Recent cruisers: what has been the success rate on checked luggage to bring some booze on board...say like a 12 pack and a couple bottles of vodka dispersed in different suitcaes?

Havent cruised in a couple years, but it has never been a problem in the past. Seems like lines are getting more crackdown mode from reading this site.
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Captain

Out of 13 cruises, we've taken liquour on board 12 times with no problem. DH packs a litre of scotch and I take a litre of vodka. We buy PLASTIC bottles, put it in a plastic bag and pack it in the center of our checked luggage. We set up our own small bar in the cabin in plain view. I think as long as you don't get too greedy you won't have a problem. We do buy some drinks on board but enjoy a drink in our cabin pre-dinner. That said, we don't fly so we're not contending with airport handlers or security-just the cruise lines. Also, the port of embarkation might make a difference-some countries might have tighter regulations.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Captain

Out of 13 cruises, we've taken liquour on board 12 times with no problem. DH packs a litre of scotch and I take a litre of vodka. We buy PLASTIC bottles, put it in a plastic bag and pack it in the center of our checked luggage. We set up our own small bar in the cabin in plain view. I think as long as you don't get too greedy you won't have a problem. We do buy some drinks on board but enjoy a drink in our cabin pre-dinner. We've also bought booze in St. Thomas and St.Maarten and brought it back on board wrapped in a beach towel in a beach bag. That said, we don't fly so we're not contending with airport handlers or security-just the cruise lines. Also, the port of embarkation might make a difference-some countries might have tighter regulations.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
Out of 13 cruises, we've taken liquour on board 12 times with no problem. DH packs a litre of scotch and I take a litre of vodka. We buy PLASTIC bottles, put it in a plastic bag and pack it in the center of our checked luggage. We set up our own small bar in the cabin in plain view. I think as long as you don't get too greedy you won't have a problem. We do buy some drinks on board but enjoy a drink in our cabin pre-dinner. We've also bought booze in St. Thomas and St.Maarten and brought it back on board wrapped in a beach towel in a beach bag. That said, we don't fly so we're not contending with airport handlers or security-just the cruise lines. Also, the port of embarkation might make a difference-some countries might have tighter regulations.
Cool-thanks. Going out of cape canaveral. How recent was it that you brought booze on board in St. Thomas and Maarten because the security guys use the scanners when you re-board? Has it still been that easy or do they not give a rats.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Cool-thanks. Going out of cape canaveral. How recent was it that you brought booze on board in St. Thomas and Maarten because the security guys use the scanners when you re-board? Has it still been that easy or do they not give a rats.

Bought a bottle of Grand Marnier back onto the Constellation Feb.08 in St. Maarten plus some other liquour in St.Thomas. They scanned our beach bags but nothing was said. Not sure if the scanner didn't pick it up or they didn't give a rats!
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

We get a couple of 12 packs of soda, take out the sodas and put beer in the 12 packs except in the handle area where we put a couple of sodas back in and then glue the end shut again.

We pack in our luggage and have had no problems. Take a soft side rolling cooler and have the room steward fill it with ice each day and tip him or her good at the end of the cruise.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009