Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Default Christmas Cruising

Our family and my best friend's family are going on the Inspiration over Christmas. Has anyone out there sailed over Christmas? We have 7 kids between us and at least 2 of them are still "believers". All of the adults have cruised before but none of the kids. Any advice or suggestions would be so helpful. Thans so much!!!!! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Be ready with a creative answer to the chimney question! Also, what about taking along a very small fiber optic tree for your cabin?
Marty
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Beginner

I hope you enjoy your Christmas cruise as much as my family has. We will be on our 5th Christmas Cruise this year. Sometimes we have had as many as ten family members and have always had a great time. We like to bring a gift for our room steward and our 2 waiters for Christmas, maybe a local tshirt or candy or something. Santa always visits on Christmas Day with a gift for the children. We also like to decorate our room with lights and a small tree as well as our door with gift paper and a bow or some similar decorations. Santa comes to our room with gifts on Christmas morning even though our kids are now college age, no big present though, the cruise is the main gift. Be sure to have a family portrait taken, it's a great remembrance of the trip. Have a great holiday!
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed over Christmas last year and although we had no children in our group, it was great to see what the crew did for the kids. They had Santa alerts all morning and then Santa landed on the sundeck and was around the pool greeting the kids and handing out gifts for the little ones. They also had different activities for the kids (cookie making, etc.). At night they opened up one of the conf rooms for groups to do their gift swapping so that they didn't have to be cramped in their cabins. It was a lot of fun...I'm sure that the "believers" and non-believers alike will all enjoy it.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

On Christmas morning Santa will arrive by ship's tender and come aboard for all the kids. The ship's staff make the Christmas cruise as festive as possible...caroling in the lobby, special meal.

You may want to give small Christmas gifts to your room steward. I recommend an international phone card so he or she can call his family.

You can also decorate your cabin....bring a string of lights, a few decorations.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Be ready with a creative answer to the chimney question! Also, what about taking along a very small fiber optic tree for your cabin?
Marty
... that one is easy. Just ask the kids what they think that big funnel at the back of the ship is for.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Rita,
Great answer!
Marty
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Christmas Eve and Day will be "at sea" days for us.

We have reservations in the Pinnacle Grill for the 26th which will be dress up for us.

We are told to expect 2 formal nights on this 7 day cruise.
Should we expect xmas eve and/or day to be formal? I doubt they will have two formal days in a row, right?

What can we expect to be "special" on the two holidays?
(other than massive football watching)
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Passenger

They usually make the second night and the 5th night formal on a 7 dayer but call just to make sure. Ours is a 5 day and I thought formal night might be Christmas or Chirstmas Eve, but Carnival assures me it will be the second night. Hope your cruise is wonderful!!!!!!
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
What can we expect to be "special" on the two holidays?
(other than massive football watching)
... don't depend on the massive football watching. That has a lot to do with satellite signal strength where your cruise is going, and on what feeds the ship has purchased. Don't forget, a ship can't just show a game ... they have to pay for the privilege of doing so.

As far as what to expect in terms of special things on the holidays, while I've never done a Christmas cruise, I have talked to several people who have. You'll have lots of special activities around the ship ... Santa visiting the kids in the Atrium, handing out small presents (usually candy), dinner will be a bit more of an elegant affair on Christmas eve ... and the dining room will be all decorated. In fact, the whole ship will be decorated for the holidays.

Then you'll have special programming ... especially if you are at sea ... caroling, religious services, Christmas-themed entertainment, etc. Since there will be lots of kids onboard a holiday sailing, I am sure ClubHal will run some special Christmas-themed activities for the kids, like making paper trees and snowmen, maybe a "scavanger hunt" that's Christmas-based.

I hear it's wonderful to be at sea over the Christmas holidays, but I guess my dislike of being around a lot of kids, will prevent me from ever having this experience.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it, though.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Thanks Rita.

Having discovered, after the fact, that we are cruising at a kid intense time of year we will just adjust and carry candy.

I hear you on the football but I've been told that HAL has ESPN in the sports bar and that'll do.

We will have a ball....'cause we're cruising.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

My DH hasn't missed a big game in years due to being on a cruise.
Marty