Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default Fuel Charge???

Has anyone heard about the Carnival fuel charge, which adds $5.00 per person, per day. If I have already booked and paid, will this be added to my bill. I booked thru Carnival and received a very good deal. I hope the deal I received will be honored.

Emmutt
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Admiral

As I understand it, if your cruise sails after Feb. 1st, 2008, then $5 per person, per day, for the first two people in each cabin, will be added to your final payment. The maximum is $70 per cabin for this fuel surcharge. If your cruise sails before Feb 1st, 2008, then you won't be charged this extra charge.
Sad, but true,,,however,,,,look at what we're paying at the pump! How'd you like to get the bill to fill up the Freedom of the Seas? I think someone should design, and build a nuclear powered cruise ship!

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Just the added costs of pleasures.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Familiar Face

Just kinda sucks when you think you are all paid and ready to cruise and they add another charge. I can understand if it was upfront, but it is not. i was told this is the price and I payed it and have even received receipts saying I have a zero balance. Should be a law against it.

Emmutt
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Admiral

I agree Emmutt. You might try to say that you have a contract and the balance was zero. State that they are violating the terms of the contract. You might win that one.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Maybe we could get a "class action" suit going?
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
First Mate

Forget the lawsuit and read the Terms and conditions. It's probably in the fine print that they can add surcharges. I know I read one recently that did, but forget which cruiseline I was reading it on.

No one WANTS to pay it, but personally, I don't think it's that much of an increase considering how much fuel it takes to move a ship. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner!
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Until final payment, they can do anything they want.

Regent has instituted a $7.50 per day per person surcharge. For 14 day cruise, this adds $210. If anyone pays in full, however, by 1 December, then they don't have to pay the surcharge. I am trying to decide if it is better to pay off early or just pay the surcharge.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Truthfully, I think they should cut back 5 dollars a day on food per person.

That would save ton's of money. Think of all the food that just goes to waste and there is no good reason for people to pig out the way they do anyway.

Deni
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deni
Truthfully, I think they should cut back 5 dollars a day on food per person.

That would save ton's of money. Think of all the food that just goes to waste and there is no good reason for people to pig out the way they do anyway.

Deni
I think Carnival's total food budget is only a bit over $5 per day.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Passenger

We just made our final payment to Celebrity for our January 26th cruise on the Summit when I noticed the fuel surcharge. Yep, it goes into effect for ships sailing on or after February 1st.

Ha, missed us. For a few minutes I enjoyed that "we stuck it to the man" fealing, until I realized this will probably continue for the forseeable future and effect the price of our next cruise.

So let us think the unthinkable and pretend that gas goes back down in price. No I'm not sitting here with booze or a joint in hand. Lets just pretend that in this world with pink bunnies and Santa Claus it happens. Do you think that the cruise lines will do away with this surcharge, or just roll it into their current prices?
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmutt
Just kinda sucks when you think you are all paid and ready to cruise and they add another charge. I can understand if it was upfront, but it is not. i was told this is the price and I payed it and have even received receipts saying I have a zero balance. Should be a law against it.

Emmutt
I agree. They should not be able to come back with additional charges after you have a contracted price with them. I have 5 cabins booked on the Fantasy for April, so I now have an addtional $250 charge to pay. :evil:
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Same here. Cruise booked and fully paid for. Then they decide they will charge us extra. :evil: :evil:
Marty
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Captain

I just looked at their website and it does say that they have the right to add a fuel surcharge, even on a fully paid or deposited ticket. I don't know how long that info has been on the site, but I have kept every one of my ticket books for all 10 cruises I've done with them. I will look in my books to see if this has always been in the contract or if it I can determine when it was added. It would seem that, if it was added, after the cruise was paid or deposited, it should not apply.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days