Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Default I'm New Here!

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to say hi and ask the first of what will probably be many questions. If looks as if you all have all of the answers!

I am trying to plan a cruise for our family - my husband and myself, plus our daughter (22) and twin sons (21). It will be our first cruise and I'd like to please everyone as much as possible. We will be going right after my daughter graduates from college on May 18, so late May or possibly early June. (Is that good cruising time or should we plan it another time?). We plan on leaving from Galveston, TX and probably going to the western Caribbean (unless someone here gives me a better idea).

My biggest concerns right now are:
1) How do I book rooms for 5 people? My husband and I would prefer to have a room to ourselves but if the price is too great we will have to share with her... Obviously, I can't put my daughter in with the boys. Is there another option?
2) Is there a cruise line/specific ship that might be better for the "20-something" age group?

I'm a complete novice at this and all I know is what I have read on the internet (and now on your Forum).
Thanks for any information you can offer me.

I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you!
Kentucky Jackson
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI KJ,
Welcome to Cruisemates!

Try checking into one of the family suites with Royal Caribbean, that may work for your family. Only other option, would be to have the kids in one cabin and you and your husband in the other. Three cabins wouldn't work, too expensive. All of you may also enjoy a Carnival ship.

Do you have any ideas what islands you want to visit?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Are the sons married? I don't see why the children, who are adults and have lived with each other most of their lives, can't stay with each other. Or have the boys in one cabin and the daughter and you in the other with Dad.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Most cabinshave curtains between the twin beds and the sifa bed, so once the curtain is closed the other person has privacy. In addition, she can ask them to just get out of the room when it is time for her to shower & change clothes. I see it all the time.

As a grown man, I have sailed with my mother in the same room. That was little uncomfortable at first (we weren't exactly a physically "close" family) but you get used to it.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

You also might look into connecting cabins. That's what we just did on our November cruise, and there were 6 of us (4 kids). If you need the boys to leave while your daughter showers and dresses you might ask them to go to the spa and shower. That's what my daughter and I did - and it made the family getting ready go much faster and smoother. Plus, the showers are bigger. They have the same shampoo and body wash dispensers that are in your cabin showers. We just took clean shorts and t-shirts with us, and changed into our dress clothes in the cabin. Just a though! By the way, you'll all love cruising!!!

Terri
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I'm New Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyJackson
[color=blue]My biggest concerns right now are:
1) How do I book rooms for 5 people? My husband and I would prefer to have a room to ourselves but if the price is too great we will have to share with her... Obviously, I can't put my daughter in with the boys. Is there another option?
First off, welcome to the CruiseMates forums. I think you'll enjoy being here. We are a pretty friendly bunch. Secondly, we were all novices at this at one time, so don't worry about it.

As to your concerns, I don't know what your financial constraints are, but it sounds to me that a pair of connecting cabins would work best ... or at least two cabins in close proximity to one another. Unfortunately, I can't see any way around having your daughter in with you ... unless you want to get her a cabin for herself, which would drive up your cost significantly. Most cruise ship cabins don't hold more than four people ... so you've got to go with two of them anyway ... so might as well spread everyone out.

If you can get a good deal, I would get maybe a balcony stateroom and perhaps an inside one right across the hall. The balcony staterooms tend to be a bit larger ... some cruise lines call them "mini suites." Put you and your husband and your daughter in there. She will probably sleep on the sofa bed, which is separated from the regular bed with a privacy curtain. Each evening, your cabin steward will open up the sofa bed and prepare it for her.

Then put the two boys in the smaller, lower priced inside stateroom across the hall. Of course, they can always enjoy your balcony during the day time, so there is no reason for them to have one of their own.

There are cruise lines that have "family" staterooms which, perhaps, could sleep five people, but you're gonna find they are much more expensive than the standard accommodations, and even they will be a bit tight with five people. I personally think two separate staterooms would work best.

As for cruise lines, it's hard to make a recommendation when I don't know what you and your family enjoy. Do you like an upbeat, "lots going on" atmosphere? If so, Royal Caribbean or Carnival would probably work best for you. But there are other options as well.

I would do a search on some of the online booking sites in an effort to find cruises leaving from my preferred port in my preferred time range. Then check out the itineraries and see which one works best for you and your group. You can always book the cruise with a local travel agent if you prefer ... in fact, for a novice cruiser, that would probably be your best bet. Online booking sites are great if you know what you're doing and have some experience with cruising. For the first timer, you're at least gonna want a travel agency that has a human being to talk to ... either in person or over the telephone. A good travel agent can be worth her weight in gold ... especially to the novice cruiser. The advice alone that they can provide can save you considerable money and heartache.

Again, welcome to these forums. Any questions, just ask away.

Blue skies ...

--rita