Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl View Post
After a Suite there is no going back.
That's what I'm afraid of

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
First Mate

You had me at "priority emabarkation"
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Beginner

Default seo services

Old August 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Familiar Face

I am a solo booked in one of the studios and I figure I can see the open sea from the ship I am on and save the money I would have spent for the balcony on shore excursions, etc.
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM
First Mate

Default August 2010

Here we go again, a post of 2007 under the banner of NEW Posts and we have responses in to 2009 plus me, .. hah

Al depends on price, location, weather , need for privacy and today the newer the ship then less Outside and Inside cabins.

World cruise's make you truly think as the price between an Outside and Balcony can be unbelievable. So , what I've seen with some folks I know and read about if you want the cruise but having trouble with the monies than an Outside is fine and if you have the money , go for a suite.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Passenger

On some itineraries your ship is cruising at night and you arrive at port in the early hours of the morning...there is not much to see at night in the middle of the ocean. Save the $$ and use it somewhere else. Now this depends on the trip.....Alaska a balcony would be a huge plus!
Just my thoughts.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I had a balcony in Alaska and used it less than 3 minutes
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettnut View Post
On some itineraries your ship is cruising at night and you arrive at port in the early hours of the morning...there is not much to see at night in the middle of the ocean. Save the $$ and use it somewhere else. Now this depends on the trip.....Alaska a balcony would be a huge plus!
Just my thoughts.

Good comment.
If you like quiet and privacy from the crowd during a sea day or while cruising after a port during the afternoon than a balcony is a bonus.
On the flip side if the prices between a balcony and outside are large than you have to weigh the benefits to yourself.

Cheers
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Depends on itinerary .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Yup and spouse
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Captain

After 12 cruises, we finally graduated to a balcony last Dec. Because we were next to a suite, the balcony was huge-very deep. Spent a fair amount of time on it while in port but too windy while at sea. we have an aft balcony booked for Jan. so hoping that will be more sheltered. Balconies are a nice extra but I don't think I'd pay more than $150 p.p. from an outside.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Admiral

As an inside cabin is out of the question unless it's a very short cruise(less than a week) so the cost is between outside & balcony....on older ships with fewer balconies this difference can be a lot, but on the newer ships not too much, I reckon if the upgrade costs more that one cruise it is too much! I have noticed that those who say they don't spend time in the cabin usually are in inside cabins, in that case neither would I!! I would be wandering the ship like a stateless person or nursing a coffee in one of the public rooms
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
First Mate

Default Older Ships equal specialized voyages

Quite true John
I've noticed that HA and Princess are now using some of their older ships as % of balconies is less than other cabins for unique voyages in some cases.
So a World Cruise price difference is a lot of money or even if they use them on the short season sections.
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Hi Rob,
Just been browsing P&O site & I notice the world cruises on Arcadia,Oriana & Aurora are sold out or virtually sold out! Where the heck is all this money coming from?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I'm satisfied with an ocean view. I had a balcony once and had to keep reminding myself to use it. I would have breakfast in my room via room service and sit out side it was nice but I don't feel worth an extra $300 or so that I could use for another cruise or towards another vacation. I have to be able to look out at the ocean, and have the light come in though I did read some people book an inside cabin and turn the tv on the ship camera, and the sound off, sort of a virtual porthole, that's an idea if you booked an inside.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Admiral

UPDATE....
My wife now says she wouldn't mind an inside as long as it was near an outside space & could easily go outside, now as we Brits can be paying THOUSANDS of POUNDS per person for a balcony on the longer cruises this may be a saving....any thoughts?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Hi Rob,
Just been browsing P&O site & I notice the world cruises on Arcadia,Oriana & Aurora are sold out or virtually sold out! Where the heck is all this money coming from?
Not sure John,
Either they found a lode of recycle bottles to return and bundled their savings into high interest or were the lucky ones who cashed out investments or put it on the never never plan.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
UPDATE....
My wife now says she wouldn't mind an inside as long as it was near an outside space & could easily go outside, now as we Brits can be paying THOUSANDS of POUNDS per person for a balcony on the longer cruises this may be a saving....any thoughts?
John,
All depends if she is a social person, likes being around the ship, does not spend time in her cabin and prefers darkness.
Me, I have to have at least some light and like to look out the window without being dressed when coming into port. An Outside should be the starting point for long trips and getting lucky would be being upgraded to a balcony including a shipboard credit of a few hundred pounds,
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Question Aft-view Extended Balcony or NOT

Hi, we are going on our first cruise for 5 days on the Glory to Bahamas and was wondering is it worth the money to book the aft balcony or just get the regular balcony??

I am concerned about becoming sea sick. would the aft balcony almost gurantee this (since it is at the back of the ship on deck 7)or should I opt for the midship balcony( deck 3)???
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default Balcony ... mmm

I'd start with this; I think an ocean view isn't worth anything additional - if only because you still have the lousy 172 square feet. Keep in mind, in going to a balcony suite, you probably gain an additional 15-20% more space and that has value.

From a different perspective, if I had the choice between sleeping in a balcony room and dining in the MDR every night ... or sleeping on the 10th floor and dining in The Olympic/Upgrade dining room every night ... well, for me it's not even a small choice. I want the Olympic every night and when I want to enjoy coffee in the morning I'll have it on the Lido deck.

FWIW, at this point I'll wait a little longer to take the next cruise and do them both. But that's me.
Old January 24th, 2011, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Default Go for her comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy ty View Post
Hi, we are going on our first cruise for 5 days on the Glory to Bahamas and was wondering is it worth the money to book the aft balcony or just get the regular balcony??

I am concerned about becoming sea sick. would the aft balcony almost guarantee this (since it is at the back of the ship on deck 7)or should I opt for the midship balcony( deck 3)???
Talk to your TA but unless you want to enjoy being sea sick which is not the majority of the time with modern ships, go for midship lower balcony. As you cruise more and realize you can enjoy the trip than you can get a cabin hihgher up or near the bow or stern.
Aft balconies are normally a bit larger and more expensive and you might get sick watching the ships stern move, Who knows.

If you are going out of New York the first day or so in winter months will be cool which means 2 of your five days you would not sit on the balcony but for the 3 days you are at sea and docked in the sun, it is worth it.
Also it gives you privacy to relax with whatever.
Buy a large mug to fill with coffee or tea from the buffet and take back to your cabin with desert as carrying china cup and sauce a few decks is a pain.
A midship cabin near the stairs or elevators is not a big distance to go for drink.

Have a great cruise..

Last edited by robh; January 24th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Familiar Face

Wink

Just putting my two cents in, but we love the balcony and would not go any other way. Had a window room once and felt very closed in. Just looking out at the ocean as you are getting ready for dinner is worth it for us. But we do use ours a lot. I guess it is all what you want. I would experience it at least once and judge for yourself.
Equinox 2010
Monarch of the Seas 2010
Voyager of the Seas 2005
Summit 2004
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Mmmm! ....aft balcony Mmmm! (in Homer Simpson voice)
Can't remember if I said this before but we are thinking about a nicer cabin next time not a lesser one.