Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Are balconys worth the money

I am about to book a cruise on the Miracle. Most rooms do have balconys
Are they worth the extra cost? Do you really use them.
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Conway,
I can only answer for myself, but YES, I think the balconies are worth the extra. You will find time to sit out there, great with your first cup of coffee in the morning or after you come back from an evening onboard, before you go to sleep. Is it worth it to you, thats what you need to decide. I have a feelign once you book and enjoy a balcony, you will never go back.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I can go either way and I have had it both ways.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Balconies are worth every penny. I enjoy sitting out there to watch the sea, & read a good book.

On occasion, we were aboard ships without balconies, ie the Majesty. In that case we booked Ocean view. Although inside cabins are economical, we never booked one. We need to see what is going on outside.

Barb
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

Once you have done a balcony you just have a hard time going back to inside room. We did it and now we are definately hooked. Worth every penny it costs........ Waiting patiently for april to come! next cruise with balcony of course!!!! Happy cruising!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Balconies are worth it but if the cost difference stressing you out I would opt for ocean view. Best thing to do is go the balcony route first. Then, you can decide for yourself if it was worth the extra cost to you. But if money meant nothing then a balcony would be the only way to go.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
jayhawk

They are if you use them. Some people are never on the balcony and they should do a window cabin. We have coffee delivered in the morning and sit out, have drinks in the evening, leave the door open at night (cruise lines discourage this) and usually meet other couples on board and have at least one party in the cabin. In additoin while wife is getting ready for dinner etc. I sit out there and have a drink and watch the ocean go by. If you are from Kansas that is a wonderful experience.
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

We loved our balcony on the Pearl.
We had an outside view on the Ryndam and did not really miss the balcony.
Our cabin without the balcony was much roomier than the one with one so that made a huge difference.

I don't know if the size difference is so much because of the room type or the cruise line.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Hmmm? One cruise with a balcony or two cruises in an inside room? I prefer the two cruises option. I would splurge on a balcony if the itinerary really warranted it, like maybe Alaska or somewhere that you will see something besides water. We prefer to watch sail-away from ports etc. from the top of the ship with new friends.
I would never opt for an oceanview over an inside. We actually prefer the darkness of the inside room for quick naps so we can party later. I tend to be a tad claustrophobic but have never had a problem on board ship in an inside cabin. Someone mentioned that once you have a balcony you will never want to be without one. Maybe a good reason not to start if you can't afford it. I would love to try a balcony, but have also heard complaints of drifting cigar or cigarette smoke, noise, profanities, fighting etc. from other balconies. Also, many balconies are very visible from other balconies or even from the top deck, so not very private. If you can afford it, go for it, but you can have a wonderful cruise without it. I realize that this reply sounds like excuses from someone who has never had a balcony but we've loved 9 cruises and got along great without one.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Personally, I think the balcony is totally worth it - both cruises I went on I had a balcony cabin was out there alot. Every morning I would enjoy coffee from room service out on the balcony. Plus you can watch as you enter and leave port, and see what the weather really is like before going up on deck. Plus I did not feel closed in as I could go outside for fresh air. I would also relax out on the balcony in the evening. So yes, for me, it is almost a necessity to book a balcony cabin!
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

It depends on the premium. I have had many inside cabins and it lets me cruise more often. For my two Marinre cruises, the balcony was only $300 more for the week for three of uss so it was worth it. On some cruises, it can be twice as much as an inside cabin and then not worth it to me.

I spend a lt of time out on deck and about the ship. Ocean view is nice but you can't see anything at night anyway. Also when you are sleeping you can't see anything. Most of my cbin time is sleeping or getting ready to go somewhere.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

Can't see anything at night except the moon the wake and a zillion stars! I love having a balcony.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Balconies are definately worth the extra money, in our opinion. You have privacy to sit down and enjoy the many vistas both at sea and in ports. You can relax in a chair with a good book and a beautiful view when you look up. I remember when our ship left Cozumel at night. What a beautiful sight from our balcony, with the lights on the island and the water. The one dowside is you get spoiled.
Carnival Triumph May 04
Norwegian Dawn Nov 08
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

I love, love, love balconies - we have done them on all three of our trips.
And thank goodness as when we were on the Dawn Princess in 2003 - my DH came down with an intestinal bug and was quarantined to our cabin
for 3 days - he almost lived on the balcony!!
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Y E S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I would ot have it any other way. If I had to go on a Fantasy class ship I will book Cat 12 cabin only. Any other ship, balcony or nothing.

I came back recently from a seven day on the Conquest and I had seven days of very little sleep. My mother snored all night and I am alight sleeper. I would wake up and chances are likely I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. I found that I would wake up anywhere from 5am-6am and just sit out on the balcony for a while (anywhere from 20 minutes to 90min+) and then get dressed and go for breakfast around 7am. I was up around 5:15am when we were porting in Grand Cayman and I watched us sail on the south side of the island and then finally anchor well over an hour later.

I also find that the balcony is a nice place to just hang out mid day when you want to get away from the open deck and have quiet time and just read a book or listen to music (on my Zen). It is also a good place to watch sail aways if your side is the side you are docked on. Another thing is after a long day on shore I am so tired I unpack my goodies and just hang out in the cabin for a good hour or so to recharge the batteries enough to go get something to eat....

Suite balconies are even better because they are long and some are HUGE.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Passenger

YES

Our first cruise was an inside, the next a balcony and we have never gone back. If you watch prices you can usually get a balcony for not that much more - $100 to $200 a week more. It really can depend on the ship. New, bigger ships with all those balconies are reasonable enough to get the balcony.

Brilliance of the Seas

Celebrity Equinox
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

DH won't cruise unless we book balcony cabin. Although I did use the balcony a lot our last cruise (more than he did!), I wouldn't be adverse to an inside or ocean view to be able to cruise twice a year!
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to saltwatercruise

I've been on the Miracle and the Pride. My first cruise was on the Pride and my wife and I had an interior cabin. I felt like we were being teased when we walked by cabins with balconies.

The interior room wasn't bad, but for our aniversary on the Miracle, we decided to get a balcony. Wonderful times. It's nice to be able to get room service for "pre breakfast" and eat it on the balcony while your significant other has the freedom to roam around the room while getting ready for the day.

With that said, we're going on another cruise (Victory) to the Southern Caribbean. That schedule is jam packed. We're going to be bouncing around from port to port pretty quickly and we have an early seating. Based on that, we opted for an inside cabin agian and save a little $$$. We'll be slumming in on the rails of the decks. :-)

Now, I'm not sure if I want a balcony or not. My post has confused my, but I hope it has helped you.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Captain

Yeppers!

We had an ocean view on our last cruise & I missed the balcony . . . lucky for me our cabin was all the way forward on Baja deck & there was a open deck on the front of the ship- I went out there at least 3 times a day!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
First Mate

We've done them all, from suites to insides. All were fine. It all depends on what you are expecting. If you are inside, you will be up on deck alot, which is no tragedy. If you have a balcony, it's sweet. I've never been on a bad cruise, like to try different lines, and enjoy every moment.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Captain

My first cruise was a balcony, I was going to book an inside this time to save money but just couldn't bring myself to do it. My husband likes to sleep in and I can sit out on the balcony and dring coffee while my husband sleeps in.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:43 AM
First Mate

YES,
We have always loved stepping out there at night and the smell of the ocean, the stars.
It's worth the extra cost. 8)
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Howdy All...from Houston, Tx

I am booked on the Conquest for Dec 14 out of Galveston...and we have a balcony cabin for the first time. Will it be too cool to enjoy?

thanks
debbyedoops
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Admiral

on a cruise 5 days or less, I would not waste the money on the balcony but book a room just below the pool deck;
on a longer cruise, YES!
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Two years ago I had my first balcony experiance on Mariner of the Seas (in my younger years I would do inside quads to save money!) Now I am completely hooked on this wonderful ''private oasis'' and am looking forward to sipping champagne as we sail away on Freedom of the Seas this Oct. The only downside is the smoking issue. You aren't allowed to smoke in your rooms but you can on your balcony. My friend and I aren't smokers but our next door neighbors were and it could get a little heavy at times. I am still soooo excited about my even larger balcony on Freedom that I will hope for the best.

SOUTHWARD NCL
TROPICAL (TWICE)
SERENADE OF THE SEAS
THE NORWAY
SOVERIGEN OF THE SEAS
MASSDAM
MARINER OF THE SEAS
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by msblackjack
on a cruise 5 days or less, I would not waste the money on the balcony but book a room just below the pool deck;
on a longer cruise, YES!
Hmmm I have taken 2 5 day cruises and had a balcony where others traveling with us did not. Why was everyone always hanging out in our room and on our balcony. Balcony is worth it for any length IMHO
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

For me, NOT.
I have too many other places my money needs to go. I refuse to go into debt for a vacation...or any other reason. So, aside from mortgage, go cash and carry and I save my pennies until I have enough for a cruise and have never had the patience to wait until I had enough for a balcony. Probably never will, since I consider it a luxury of low priority.
Marty
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Passenger

I love balconies. On RCL, you can order your breakfast before you go to bed from room service and choose the time it is to be delivered. It is a great wake up call, and i eat on the balcony everytime. Quiet breakfast by myself looking out at the ocean is one life's little pleasures for me.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Yeoman

The difference in price between an oceanview and a balcony cabin is normally not very big so for us, it's definitely worth it. We don't use it very much but every second counts!
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Admiral

While the one time we did have a balcony, I loved it, I won't spend the money on it again.....except for ALaska. Have been there a couple of times and it is the only itinerary that I would be willing to spring for a balcony for.
Marty