Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Default PASSPORT QUESTION

I have read and heard many (what to me are) mixed messages about whether the Princess ships take your passport at embarkation and return it to you at disembarkation.

As one who has done my share of international travel, I have always been careful to keep my passport with me at all times. The Berlitz "Cruising and Cruise Ships 2008" says cruisers should be prepared to turn over their passports to the ship and keep a photo copy.

I must admit that it makes me uncomfortable to get off the ship in a foreign country (like Colombia, Panama or Costa Rica) with only a photocopy of my passport in my pocket. What if I am asked, for some unknown reason, to provide citizenship documentation?

Are my concerns unfounded?

Cruising to the Panama Canal on the Island Princess in October, 2008
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Easy answer, if you travel under a US passport, you concerns are unfounded. Your passport is in YOUR possession at all times.

captain
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: PASSPORT QUESTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Cuiser
I have read and heard many (what to me are) mixed messages about whether the Princess ships take your passport at embarkation and return it to you at disembarkation.

As one who has done my share of international travel, I have always been careful to keep my passport with me at all times. The Berlitz "Cruising and Cruise Ships 2008" says cruisers should be prepared to turn over their passports to the ship and keep a photo copy.

I must admit that it makes me uncomfortable to get off the ship in a foreign country (like Colombia, Panama or Costa Rica) with only a photocopy of my passport in my pocket. What if I am asked, for some unknown reason, to provide citizenship documentation?

Are my concerns unfounded?
We travelled on a Canadian Passport thru the Panama in 06 and they didn't even for passport except for boarding in Vancouver and deboarding in Florida.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Easy answer, if you travel under a US passport, you concerns are unfounded. Your passport is in YOUR possession at all times.

captain
WRONG!

I always turn in my passport to the ship. This makes it easy for all to clear immigration in each country. In some countries, our passports will be returned to us for the day if local authorities require. In other countries,we are given a "slip" of paper to show officials as we go ashore and return to the ship.

I have been amazed at the number of new stamps in my passport when I collect it at the end of a cruise. I cannot imagine having all passengers and crew to show up at each port of call to have our passports stamped if the ship had not collected the passports.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:

captain
WRONG!

I always turn in my passport to the ship. This makes it easy for all to clear immigration in each country. In some countries, our passports will be returned to us for the day if local authorities require. In other countries,we are given a "slip" of paper to show officials as we go ashore and return to the ship.

I have been amazed at the number of new stamps in my passport when I collect it at the end of a cruise. I cannot imagine having all passengers and crew to show up at each port of call to have our passports stamped if the ship had not collected the passports.
Well, maybe I should have been a bit more clear in my answer.
looking at your cruise history, well yes, if those are the destinations that OP is planning to travel, then yes, passport would need to be shown, but NOT necessarily turned in and kept by the cruiseline. But then the OP shows in their signature that they are cruising the Panama Canal on Princess in 2008 and I was assuming that is what OP was asking about.
I was assuming, and I know that you should never assume anything, that the OP was intending to cruise the western hemisphere, judging by the countries OP mentioned, than in that case, I stand by my post. On ALL the cruises we took originating and ending in the USA and travelling under our US passports, not once were our passports ever kept by the cruiseline.
Btw, of all the cruises we have taken since 1971, the only times that passports were really held from us is when we visited a few Middle Eastern/African hotspots. Then again, in those situations we traveled by air to the cruise origin using our US passports and as for cruising, we used our EU passports.
Dual citizenship does have its benefits when it comes to cruising.

Captain
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Captain,

You are correct. My wife and I are going to be on the Island Princess for the 10 day cruise starting on October 27, 2008. We will be embarking at Port of the Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) then will go to 1) Aruba, 2) Cartagena, Colombia, 3) Colon, Panama, 4) Limon, Costa Rica, and 5) Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Other than Cartagena, is there anywhere on this itinerary that the Island Princess captain would want/ need to keep all the guests' passports?

I still say that I would feel most comfortable with my Passport in my pocket when I get off the ship in a non-US port.

What do you think?

Gordon

Cruising to the Panama Canal on the Island Princess in October, 2008
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Cuiser
Captain,

You are correct. My wife and I are going to be on the Island Princess for the 10 day cruise starting on October 27, 2008. We will be embarking at Port of the Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) then will go to 1) Aruba, 2) Cartagena, Colombia, 3) Colon, Panama, 4) Limon, Costa Rica, and 5) Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Other than Cartagena, is there anywhere on this itinerary that the Island Princess captain would want/ need to keep all the guests' passports?

I still say that I would feel most comfortable with my Passport in my pocket when I get off the ship in a non-US port.

What do you think?

Gordon
Not to worry Gordon, even in Cartagena, they WILL NOT ask for nor will they keep your passport. We were in Cartagena and also in Santa Marta, Colombia at the end of October on an 18-day San Diego to Miami cruise.
AT NO TIME THROUGHOUT THE 18 DAYS OF CRUISING DID OUR PASSPORT LEAVE OUR POSSESSION, NOR WHERE WE EVER ASKED TO PRESENT IT (only at check-in and upon return to the US, that is). As I said above, of all the cruises we have taken that originated and ended in United States territory, not once were we ever aked to leave the passport with the cruiseline. Again, I am assuming that you are both travelling under a US passport.

Captain
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Not necessarily. Depends upon the itinerary. On my last cruise, a TransAtlantic on the ms. Veendam, they took my passport at embarkation. It was the first time, on any cruise line, where this was done to me. The woman at embarkation explained that because we were stopping at so many foreign ports, it expedited getting the ship cleared to have Holland America in possession of passports. However, we were given a "receipt" for our passport, which had to be returned when we picked it up onboard after our last port.

The wise thing to do in this case is to make a photocopy of your passport's information pages before leaving for your cruise. This way you could have that on you when in port. If you forget, though ... (like I did) ... don't sweat it. The purser's desk will gladly make the copy for you.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Not necessarily. Depends upon the itinerary. On my last cruise, a TransAtlantic on the ms. Veendam, they took my passport at embarkation. It was the first time, on any cruise line, where this was done to me. The woman at embarkation explained that because we were stopping at so many foreign ports, it expedited getting the ship cleared to have Holland America in possession of passports. However, we were given a "receipt" for our passport, which had to be returned when we picked it up onboard after our last port.

The wise thing to do in this case is to make a photocopy of your passport's information pages before leaving for your cruise. This way you could have that on you when in port. If you forget, though ... (like I did) ... don't sweat it. The purser's desk will gladly make the copy for you.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Kryos,
It has already been determined what itinerary the OP is sailing and it is NOT a transatlantic crossing!

Captain
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:

captain
Captain, the point Kryos and I are trying to make is that your "blanket statement" in your first reply is wrong. There are many itineraries where you have to hand over your passport to the ship. From your picture, I would say that you have lots of cruising experience; however, you probably haven't been a "passenger" on cruise ships wherein this has been mandated.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:

captain
Captain, the point Kryos and I are trying to make is that your "blanket statement" in your first reply is wrong. There are many itineraries where you have to hand over your passport to the ship. From your picture, I would say that you have lots of cruising experience; however, you probably haven't been a "passenger" on cruise ships wherein this has been mandated.

And the point you guys seem to be missing is that the OP specifically stated (TWICE, just in case you guys missed it) that he is travelling to the Panama Canal from and back to the USA.
And he spefically confirmed that in his second post, if you guys missed it.
Why would you guys mislead anyone by giving them information that does NOT pertain to their specific question? The info I gave to the OP is correct and straight to the point as it pertains to his question.
Captain