CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Anyone sailed Costa Allegra? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/344675-anyone-sailed-costa-allegra.html)

kd January 12th, 2008 11:00 AM

Anyone sailed Costa Allegra?

I have said in the past that I would never choose Costa. However, since I have a brother teaching in HongKong, we are looking at a cruise out of that port. Costa Allegra seems to be our only choice in Nov 2008. I know that it is an old (1992) ship, refurbished in 2006, small capacity (others said 800 or 1000, Costa site says 784). Possibly similar in size to NCL Majesty or RCCL Empress which we have done. We have read posts by disgruntled cruisers (mostly Americans) but feel we can have a great experience on any ship. Not sure about the food, we've been spoiled by Celebrity cruises. Anyone been on Costa in general and more specifically on the Allegra? Has anyone done the 14 day Asian tour?

cruisesnet January 13th, 2008 08:57 AM

From what I have heard in HK, Costa Allegra is not a good ship to aboard.
Someone said that the ship has lost its power for many times.

Also, you will be surrounded by numbers of Chinese passangers
(with unacceptable behaviors!!!!!!!!!)

If your schedule is flexible, I will suggust you to aboard the Costa Classica or Legend of the Seas.

Or you can consider to begin your cruise in Singapore,
the SuperStar Virgo (sister ship of NCL Spirit) is really outstanding.
It will only take you a few hours flight from Hong Kong and the ticket is really cheap (Recently I saw the offer: Singapore Airline, HKD$2000 including tax; fuel subcharge etc.)

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 14th, 2008 10:50 AM

Re: Anyone sailed Costa Allegra?

the Captain and the Mrs have been on most of the Costa ships, the Allegra included.
Always had a great time, Allegra included, great food.

Captain

kd January 14th, 2008 12:56 PM

Thankyou both for replies. Cruisesnet, I appreciate your HongKong vantage point. I know we would be vastly outnumbered by Chinese and because my brother is in HK I know to what you are referring in the way of bad habits. I haven't found a ship out of Singapore that would be within our budget. and I think it would still be primarily Chinese. That's okay, as Canadians we enjoy, accept and appreciate other cultures more than our American counterparts seem to do sometimes.
Captain, thankyou for the positive note. Hard to find a positive review on
Costa, particularly Allegra. If it would allow us to see Vietnam, Singapore, Phillipines etc. we can be the 'foreigners' on a lesser ship for a change.

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith January 14th, 2008 01:21 PM

kd,
go and have a fabulous time on Costa, I know we did just that on each and everyone of their cruises, and as I said, their food selection in general is just great. If you are like us and like ethnic food, you will love Costa! And who knows, when you come back you might be able to speak a word or two in Italian or Chinese. LOL LOL LOL

As for manners, I would not be too concerned about that, different regions of the world are accustomed to different ways of doing things.
I hate to put it this way but when we rubberstamp "foreigners" for not living up to our way of life, no wonder they think of us Yankees as being arrogant. The way I look at it, if you are visiting my country, respect the way we do things here in the States, if I visit your country, the omen is upon me to respect the way you do things in your country.

Just my opinion.

Captain :)

kd January 14th, 2008 02:07 PM

Agree totally. I detest travellers looking down their noses (or holding them) in other cultures. We are not the 'gold standard' to which the rest of the world might aspire. Respect is key!