Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Default motion sickness

Hi

I'm going on my first cruise and quite excited, except I am extremely sensitive to motion. I have been reluctant to cruise just for this reason, but have always been told that you would not feel a thing on these large ships.

We have been assigned a cabin on the 7th deck, very back corner of the Carnival Triumph. This is very worrisome since I have read that mid ship cabins are the best for people such as myself.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation. I am open to any advice!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

go to Target and buy their brand of Dramamine, the 24 hour variety. I tell you the Mrs swears by that stuff, like you, she is neurotic about motion sickness and in 50 cruises we've been on, she's only been sick twice and one of those was for good reason, seh was pregnant with our son at the time.
others swear by ginger pills, she never tried those though.
still others try that patch that sticks behind your ear

Good luck and don't dwell on it too much otherwise you WILL make yourself sick.

Captain
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would go get some meds now for seasickness because you might feel some bobbing up and down at the back of the ship.

You can also get it onboard if you di feel the motion.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

I heard that ginger root works very well. I'm trying it this next time. Last year, I used the patch and it worked, however, by the end of the week my throat was so parched and my eyes so dry, maybe if you can cut back about mid week on it. My husband, the RN, tells me (after we were on our way home) that the Rx patch is known for its drying effects....geez thanks. I really think that with the size of the boats and all the technology, it shouldn't bee too bad. Have a grand time!
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Passenger

I've had a bit of seasickness on every cruise so far, and we're booked on the Conquest again in just over a week. Cruising is always worth it!
My problem seems to come in the evenings, after dark, when the ship is going faster. In the past I've used the bracelets and ginger, and only take meds when I'm begging from the bathroom floor for someone to put me out of my misery.
The bracelets do seem to help quite a bit, as does the ginger. The ginger is especially good when you're not keeping anything else down. Also, when you start to feel the queasies, get out on the balcony or go up to the open deck and look out at the horizon. The fresh air helps, plus it gives your brain a chance to "orient" itself to the motion.
The pills work great, but they can make you very drowsy which is why I'm very reluctant to take them. Today I'm going to visit with my doctor and hopefully we can find a solution that will work for me without the drowsiness.
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Purchase "Bonine". It's generic name is Meclizine. For most people it does not cause drowsiness. You can purchase it at any drug store, Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Target. If you don't find Bonine then just ask a pharmacist for Meclizine. Meclizine is less expensive.

The thing to remember, with almost all motion sickness medications, is that they are "preventatives". This means you must take them before you are seasick. Take a tablet each evening, before bed, and you should be much better.

I am not a fan of wrist bands. There is no actual medical evidence that they work. Some people swear by them but it is apparent you are not receiving a medical or placebo effect. Ginger does work to help your stomach feel better but does not prevent motion sickness.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Mike is right, Bonine (meclezine) is superior to Dramamine. You can get it over the counter at any drugstore for "just in case insurance." That being said, chances are you will never use it. The ocean can be rough, but normally, it is not. The gentle motion of a large ship often does not cause any distress even to those who suffer motion sickness. I'm betting you will be just fine

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Mike is also right that the technique expressed by rjburd in the post above of waiting until you are sick to take the meds is, well, how to phrase this -- not the way to go, not at all! Please erase that post from your mind!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Admiral

DW gets motion sickness when we fly but not when we cruise. I haven't figured that one out yet. She has tried all of the over the counter meds and the only thing that works for her is the ginger root.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Admiral

I find that just plain ol' passing out and remaining unconcious works very well.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Leanna,
The Target brand of Dramamine IS Meclizine.
Each tablet contains Meclizine HCI (Hydrochloride) 25mg and you only take 1 tablet every 24 hours.
It is the same EXACT tablet/formula as Less Drowsy Dramamine.

Target sells a box of 24 for $2.84, cannot beat that!

Captain
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Captain,
Partly, but not entirely correct. There are in fact two Dramamines. Dramamine, the original formula, is composed of a chemical known as Dimenhydrinate, which is closely related to benadryl, not meclizine. The original product is still marketed, and has a decidedly sedative (sleep inducing) effect, with questionable effect on motion sickness. In order to be competitive with the superior qualities of Bonine, which has always been meclizine, Dramamine has developed a product called Dramamine II which is meclazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimenhydrinate

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

PLEASE PEOPLE - let us not get so argumentative.

Captain - you said to get the 24-hour variety, which I have never heard of, but you did say Dramamine, which is different from Meclizine (Bonine).

Perhaps the 24-hour variety is the same as Bonine, but what you posted did not make that clear, therefore I think it is fully appropriate for others to make the distinction between Dramamine and Bonine.

Handing out medical advice is serious business, folks. You need to be very clear about what you say!

I would personally not recommend the original Dramamine to someone when Bonine is available. In fact, I always make sure I mention the generic name, which is Meclizine, in posts like this.

And - I AM NOT A DOCTOR. Anyone should ask their doctor before taking any medication.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
PLEASE PEOPLE - let us not get so argumentative.

Captain - you said to get the 24-hour variety, which I have never heard of, but you did say Dramamine, which is different from Meclizine (Bonine).

Perhaps the 24-hour variety is the same as Bonine, but what you psoted did not mak ethat clear, therefore I think it is fully appropriate to distinguish between Dramamine and Bonine.

Handing out medical advice is serious business, folks. You need to be very clear about what you say!

I would personally not recommend the original Dramamine to someone when Bonine is available. In fact, I always make sure I mention the generic name, which is Meclizine, in posts like this.

And - I AM NOT A DOCTOR. Anyone should ask their doctor before taking any medication.
you too misread Paul, I hate to say:

I SPECFICALLY SAID:

GO TO TARGET AND BUY THEIR BRAND OF DRAMAMINE, I mentioned the 24-hour variety because there are 2 kinds, one that is taken 1 tablet every 4-6 hours and 1 that is taken every 24 HOURS.
How easier than that could I have said it? This should have been a simple answer to a simple question NOT an entire bible!

Captain
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As for other cures, Mike, I find the wrist bands to be very effective and have used them for years. But they are only for mild cases of onset, certainly will not prevent motion sickness.

The mythbusters found ginger root to work in a blind placebo-challenged study. That is pretty good. But it doesn't work for me. It was something like 60% effective.

There are aroma-therapy prophylactics out there, but they did nothing for me.

I personally always recommend meclizine - though many people use the scopalimine patch with no side effects. Though for many it does have side effects.

My wife who will not take any medicine ever will take meclizine when she knows nothing else will work - but she tried all the natural things first; ginger, wristbands, essential oils, even tobaccum.

FYI: the main difference between dramamine and meclizine is drowsiness. Meclizine will make you a little drowsy, but it does last for 24 hours, so take it before bedtime and feel good the next day.
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Captain, There is no need to point out how "right" you are if you didn't say anything wrong. Please don't be so defensive just because someone expanded on what you wrote. It's called "contributing to the discussion."

Recommending medicine is serious business, and I would have clarified what you wrote myself if someone else had not done it first.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Familiar Face

Ok, but what happens when you take a 24 hour tab and drink gin too? Not together, of course!
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyd1014
Ok, but what happens when you take a 24 hour tab and drink gin too? Not together, of course!
Almost all motion sickness medications have a caution on them that you should not drink while taking the medication.

Having said that, I know of some people, (my wife) who can have a drink or two when she takes Meclizine or using the "scopolamine" patch and it has no effect on her. She hasn't drank in excess so I don't know what multiple drinks would do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Haven't read all of the replies - just tossing in what I know.

Only been sick on one cruise with bad weather. I tried the wrist bands but eventually bought the motion sickness pills from the ship (assuming it was something like Dramamine.) That worked really well for me.

I'd bring a mix of what's been suggested here. You can try the easier things first and move up if necessary. Doesn't take up much room and armed with all that stuff you should feel comfortable that you have options and not have to stress about it! NO STRESS on vacation!!!!

Good luck!
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Beginner

We swear by the pill version of the scopolomine patch calle Scopace. My wife has had severe motion sickness issues for years until we discovered Scopace. It is available by prescription only. What we like about it is that it does not make you sleepy or spacey. Just get a little dry mouth. Also you take it when you need it. Each tablet lasts about 8 hours. If you are on shore you don't need to take it. Then, take one about an hour before your ship leaves port. You can get more information by a web inquiry under "Scopace".
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Captain

I wonder if I should try acclamating to the sea by spending the day before my next cruise riding the Statan Island Ferry over & over? lol
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Familiar Face

I find the front of the ship especially in the lower levels to be the only places where I really feel the ship flopping around in rough seas, and just so you know, you can ask the purser at the information desk for Meclizine and they will give them to you on the spot for free, they want you to have a good time.
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM
First Mate

Default BONINE WORKS BEST!

I've taken 10 cruises and am going on my 11th this June. I got extremely seasick on my first cruise...in fact, I was taken off the ship first, in a wheelchair and with a barf bag in each hand! I started off w/one of the perscription patches...but there were side effects (dialated my eyes too much and couldn't see, etc).

I then discoved Bonine. It is similar to Draminine...except it doesn't make you as sleepy. It's right next to the Draminine at Walmart. It works like a charm and I've been fine on cruises ever since...including a cruise in 2003 that ended up in the middle of a hurricane w/120 mp hr winds and extreme conditions (even the crew got seasick)....but I didn't get sick (terrified...but not sick)!
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Passenger

I keep reading about Bonine/Meclizine, but can't get it in the UK or seem to get it shipped here from the US. Anyone got any ideas to help please?