Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Alaska cruise and motion sickness

I already know what medicine and things to take, so no need to wade into that discussion. I have only cruised in the caribbean and am cruising to Alaska in July. I never needed any medication on larger ships. I am cruising on HAL Veendam I know this is a smaller ship. Would I need to worry about motion sickness in Alaska? Thanks.

Madeline
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Depends on the route and how prone you are to motion sickness. the Veendam is a good sized ship. the inside passage is a smooth as glass but most cruises get out of it for a day or two, especially if it is a round trip cruise. I've been in those waters a few times, can't remember anything really rough. But rough seas can occur in open water most any time depending on weather anywhere in the world. don't worry, you'll be fine.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your response. I will just be prepared just in case. Actually we end up in Vancouver.
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska cruise and motion sickness

Inside passage likely not. Over to Whittier it depends (more open seas). However the Veendam has stabalizers. If worried book inside and sit toward the center of the ship for meals and in lounges. Also check into Seabands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
I already know what medicine and things to take, so no need to wade into that discussion. I have only cruised in the caribbean and am cruising to Alaska in July. I never needed any medication on larger ships. I am cruising on HAL Veendam I know this is a smaller ship. Would I need to worry about motion sickness in Alaska? Thanks.

Madeline
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Familiar Face

My husband and I have cruised to Alaska twice, both on HAL ships. The only time you get to really feel the motion is usually the first full sea day out of Vancouver and the last full sea day (if you are returning to Vancouver) It doesn't bother me, infact I kind of like watching the water in the pools move from side to side....however my husband gets a little bit bothered by it. This last cruise we brought Ginger pills for him which helps a lot. I also think the massage he booked for the first sea day helped him quite a bit . The rest of the cruise is smooth sailing.....

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Normal ship motion in open seas bothers hardly anyone. Really rough waters and heavy seas (15 ft or higher head seas) bother about 50% or so. Most people cruise for years without encountering really heavy seas. Then, the best thing, by far, is Bonine, (meclizine.) That's what you'll get from the ship's Doc if you go to the medical center -- reason: it works. If you are concerned about it, go to the drug store before you leave home and buy some Bonine -- it's cheap and it's the only thing that really works.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 8th, 2008, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Default BONINE WORKS BEST

I agree w/those who suggest Bonine. It has worked for me on the many cruises I've taken...even when sailing during a Cat 3 hurricane in 2003.

It's by the Draminine at Walmart. Doesn't make you as sleepy as Draminine or as dry mouthed.

I'm going on my first Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in June and will take Bonine an hour before sailing, just in case. Don't want to take a risk.