Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Long Plane Trips/Getting to the Cruise late

Has anyone ever been scheduled for a two stop long plane ride with a least one long stopover? We are scheduled to leave at 855 am and will not arrive in San Juan until 8:35 pm for an 11 o'clock cruise. Will we miss alot by not arriving in the afternoon. This is scheduled by the cruiseline. Is there anything that we can do?
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sounds like this is less than 30 days to the cruise, if you have your cruise air set already.... which leaves it less likely you can do anything.

You can have your travel agent ask the cruise line if you can still get "air deviation". If so, you'll pay a fee plus the cost difference if the flights you choose are more expensive.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

The exact reason I don't do cruise air. Totally unacceptable. Not only will you miss the afternoon if the airline is late anywhere along the route, you might miss the ship. See if you have options.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Captain

We always try to arrive a day early unless we are leaving from our home town of Mobile or nearby New Orleans. This allows for any delays and we are more rested when we arrive at the port.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

I would certainly try to go a day early if possible. That's cutting it too close in this day when somthing like 50% of all flights are late.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I agree, try to gert them to do a deviation and get something that gets you there early. A delay of 30 minutes or more could mean you miss the ship.

We had the same situation with the cruise we got back from. They were going to fly us in the day of the cruise and they thought we, booked in a Cat 11 suite, would want to getting to the ship at the 3pm check in cut off would be acceptable after leaving home at 10:30pm the night before to catch a 12:30am flight. We booked a suite to get early VIP embarkation, not running to catch the ship while everyone else was already on board. Also, with the weather as bad as it was in Toronto, a delay of 30 minutes would meant they probably wouldn't have let us check in becuase we missed the 3pm deadline.

We flew in the day before and we checked in at 11am and had to wait 20 minutes before the ship was ready for boarding. We didn't mind because we, and the group of 20 or so other VIP/Platiunums, were allowed on after the wedding party (who had their reception in the disco).

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Familiar Face

Default Princess helped

Thanks everyone Princess helped us out.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

For anyone reading this - be advised that even if the cruise line arranges your air it does not automatically mean they are responsible for getting you to the ship if the airlines are late.

The only guarantee you have of that is if you buy cruise insurance from the cruise line.

These days, with weather delays, some 20 to 30% of flights are late. Even if you are changing over in Tampa, your flight may be late because your plane is coming from Buffalo NY.

Always try to get an arrival time at least five hours before the ship is scheduled to depart, and more if you require changing planes.
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Captain

[quote="Paul Motter"]The only guarantee you have of that is if you buy cruise insurance from the cruise line.
quote]

Paul, your reply was interesting and made me wonder about the "guarantee" of getting to the ship in time if you have cruise insurance.
I wonder how the insurance works on this scenario. I would like to hear from someone who had the insurance and was late getting to the ship. What was done to catch you up? Did you have to pay for your own transportation to catch up and then get reimbursed? Same as lost luggage etc. I know that when I had to use the ship's hospital it was put on my sail and sign and after I got home I was told to first file my claim with my own health insurance and then file everything with the travel insurance for the difference. Luckily the amount was only $85 and it was too much red tape for me to even bother with filing a claim.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know that if you have third party insurance almost everything that happens generally comnes out of your own pocket and you are reimbursed later. With cruise line insurance, I think you might be able to call a cruiseline representative and tell them your problem and they will get you a new flight. Honestly, I am not sure, though.

I will see what I can find out for you.