Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Cuba-Potential port of call

I just read an article that Cuba is an actual port for some cruises. Naturally, Castro was blasting the cruise industry for leaving the leftovers (recycling, trash, etc) and not much money behind. I knew Cuba was a destination for Canadians, Europeans, and anyone except Americans, but I never knew they actually had ships that visited the island. According to the article over 100,000 passengers visited on ships in 2007.

Now that Castro has left his brother in charge, who still seeks advice from his big brother (Raul is 76), it is likely that Cuba will slowly open it's doors and probably start to get with the times and deal with the US again. The question is (drumroll please) if/when the US embargo ends and US citizens can travel to Cuba, would you go or would you pass on Cuba?

Do speak up!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cuba-Potential port of call

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I just read an article that Cuba is an actual port for some cruises. Naturally, Castro was blasting the cruise industry for leaving the leftovers (recycling, trash, etc) and not much money behind. I knew Cuba was a destination for Canadians, Europeans, and anyone except Americans, but I never knew they actually had ships that visited the island. According to the article over 100,000 passengers visited on ships in 2007.

Now that Castro has left his brother in charge, who still seeks advice from his big brother (Raul is 76), it is likely that Cuba will slowly open it's doors and probably start to get with the times and deal with the US again. The question is (drumroll please) if/when the US embargo ends and US citizens can travel to Cuba, would you go or would you pass on Cuba?

Do speak up!
Because most cruiselines are owned by American companies , many lines can't go to Cuba. Some small private companies that don't enter US ports might still go to Cuba. Any ship that enters a US port can't go to Cuba because of a Goverment sanctioned embargo.
After visiting Cuba , I personally don't think that Cuba has the infrastructure to handle any large cruise ships, especially if more than 1 mega ship (1500+) come into one port. They also need to develop a tourist industry that's not based on antagonizing the Americas.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Only ships that call in the US and sell travel primarily in the US are barred from Cuba. Canadian and European cruise ships go there all the time.

The problem is they don't allow capitalism in Cuba, so their tours are pretty lackluster. But I would still go in a heartbeat just to see what the world looked like in 1948.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

I saw East Berlin in 1966 so I know what 1948 looked like!!

I'll pass on Cuba.

It'll take a few generations to breed out the envy/hate of Americans.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I didn't even bother to wave as we passed on the Carnival Freedom last November.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Admiral

My aunt and uncle have gone to Cuba almost every year for ever 20 years and they love it and they are loved back equally!!!! They have made friends and will go down with overstuffed bags and come back with half empty bags because they gave enough health/beauty/hygiene goods away to keep the people they know down there stocked for a good while!!!!

I am optimistic, I think Cubans will be willing to open talks with the US to stop the embargo and bring capitalism back, albeit slowly so it doesn't cause problems like it did when Russia just opened the doors and ran with it...baby steps....

If/when it does Miami/Florida will have Cubans going the other direction, back home to Cuba!....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have mentioned this in other posts about Cuba, and I will be interested to see if it comes to pass.

There was a magazine in the mid 90's called South Florida, and the entire issue was devoted to Cuba. In it, Carnival said, that any cruise line sailing into Cuba, will be sailing behind THEM!

That was way before they started buying other lines:):) The ones sailing in, could ALL be under their umbrella;)

I too, would love to go see the country, Andd since the hotel infrastructure is not set up for influx of 1000's of tourists, a ship would be the way to go.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

I've always wanted to see Cuba.....

Don't know why, but I have.

Hmmmm....

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

My in-laws honeymooned there in the 1930's and had a marvelous time.
Kind of like the scenes from the Godfather movies. I would like to see
the country as well - mostly out of curiousity - a country so close but
forbidden for most North Americans.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Admiral

I dunno...appears most Cubans want the hell out!!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I bet it won't be too long before we'll be cruising to Cuba.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I may be wrong, but, I bet when Cuba gets up and running, well enough for many ships, Jamaica, may be the loser, as a port for the western itinerary.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

You are probably right - Jamaica is soooo poor and the hassle with dealing with the people is terrible. I went there in the mid-60's as a single, working girl and had a wonderful time. When we stopped there
a couple of years ago on our first cruise - the beggers and craftsmen
were impossible. You couldn't even LOOK and they were all over you
to buy. I really think they (government) made a BIG mistake when they
cut themselves off from British rule.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Captain

Speaking of Jamaica, don't take anyones picture, they'll want you to pay them for it.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I dunno...appears most Cubans want the hell out!!
I completely agree Dan. If Cuba is so good, why do the citizens that live there choose to risk their lives by building makeshift rafts to float to the United States?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

My dad visited Havana in the late 1930's while he was in the Navy, and he said Havana was his favorite port of call.

He was stationed aboard heavy cruiser, USS Chicago CA 29, at Pearl Harbor, during this time, and said while Honolulu was paradise, Havana was even more so.

Dean
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
First Mate

I'd pass. The opression of the people. The poverty. The government.
It's all too horrible.
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Not all the citizens want to leave. Otherwise, Miami would be even more crowded!
:o
I would go for a visit in a heartbeat. Have many Cuban friends and would love to see their home country.
Marty
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Passenger

I would absolutely go to Cuba given the chance. The legal chance, that is. I could've bought round trip air from Cancun to Cuba for like $190 back in 2002 while I was living in Cancun.... :evil:

Carnival Legend 5/4
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Having visited , I found that most tourist don't see the poverty or oppression by the goverment. Tourist are restricted to certain areas and hotels.

Police/Army are not visible. I only saw the police twice in two weeks.

1 - was a pick pocket being taken away from a tourist area.

2 - a drunk being returned to our hotel early one morning.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by susierphillips
I'd pass. The opression of the people. The poverty. The government.
It's all too horrible.
That describes many areas of the Caribbean. Cuba has been a favorite AI destination for everyone but the Americans for some time. Their beaches and resorts are no different than other islands. For goodness sake, we still have a port stop in Labadee Haiti----the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with the most volatile government, dreadful poverty etc. Americans have just grown up thinking how horrible Cuba is. Yes, they try to escape, as do thousands of Mexicans and other Latin Americans. You are probaably safer in Cuba than Jamaica or lots of other islands. However, I'm saying that as a Canadian and have little idea how Americans would be accepted. I expect they would treat you fine because you have the money!
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Captain

I'm afraid it would be too much like Jamaica. I wouldn't choose a cruise for that port of call, but neither would I reject one just because Cuba was one of the stops. I probably would stay on board & have a massage.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Having served at Gitmo, I have no burning desire to return. It's really a shame, as the island is absolutely beautiful, and the great majority of the people are good, god fearing, loving folks. I hope to live long enough to see this island nation set free.

Ken
"Sky"
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Admiral

My aunt and uncle go to Cuba every year and have some good friends who live there. Cubans are not poor and Cuba is not a poor country. Cuba is a communist country that has a blockage that prevents a wide variety of goods getting to them. Yes, they do have to ration what they have, but they are not poor, no one goes without a home. Housing is provided for everyone and is very cheap, but it is a home with water and electricity.

I watched a program on Cuba and the people are generally happy because they know they willbe looked after. They don't like the fact that sometimes it is hard to get some items, but they appreciate that they are looked after. Tourists going to Cuba know of the moratoreum and will brng items like toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, deodorant, and other personal hygiene items--these items are avaialbe, but not readily available all the time. One couple I know went to Cuba with a packed suitcase full of clothes and hygiene items (for tips for the hotel staff) and came back with 2/3 empty suitcases. They left 75% of their clothes and brought back "favourite" clothes they went with. Most of the clothes they took were items that would have gone to Salvation Army or Goodwill. They left a note for the maids to keep whatever they left and left them enough hygiene items to last them (and their family) for months!!!!! Cash tips are accepted, but hard to get items are appreciated more.

Americans see Cubans as unhappy and want to get out. Those that leave are leaving because they want to be with family that left a long time ago, or they are considered undersirable (otherwise known as criminals who have served time or escaped).

I'd love to see Cuba. After I have done 10 cruises I'll consider a land vacation in Dominican or Cuba....I love seafood, and that is one thing that is always fresh and readily available in Cuba--Seafood!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Two great movies to give you a taste of modern Cuba - after seeing these I really wanted to go: "Buena Vista Social Club" and "For Love of Country" about the trumpeter Arturo Sandoval (Andy Garcia).

The old Fords & Chevies and the great music. Wow, it isn't primitive or poor like Jamaica. It is like a rich, grand society, except without the money. It is a lot like seeing the Soviet Block countries with their old buildings still standing, but almost empty inside.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default I would love to see another country.

I would love to visit Cuba. I would love to see another country, meet other people from that country, and see the countryside....That is what travelling is all about.....Meeting new people, seeing new places, and leaning new cultures. You don't realize what we have as Americans, until you visit another country and see what they don't have. I have travelled to Honduras 7 times in the last 10 years....The first time I went I was crying. It is so hard to belive what we Americans take for granted, and what Honduras do just struggling to eat, clothe themselves, and send their kids to school.
A new port, a new country, and a new culture is great for the travel industry. It's what travel is all about. Vamanos!
I'm 52, female, widowed. I have cruised on over 25 cruises. Azure Seas, Explorer Starship, Festival, Holiday, Tropicale, Costa Riviera, Southward, Legend of the Seas. Monarch of the Seas Carnival Legend 24Aug08) Carnival Victory 20Sept08)
Old June 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ket920

my dad was stationed at gitmo and he said the water was so clear and blue that he would love to go back, if just for that.

i think that once cuba and her people are allowed to live and be free, it would be a lovely country. any country that is not a industrialized or newly developed country is going to seem much more impoverished. it's all point of view, really. i grew up in el paso, texas. we would spend some time in juarez, during the daytime. it was a very humbling experience.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Admiral

A while back, before they limited the amount of flights, family members could make to Cuba, from Miami, people used to dress in as many layers as they possibly could deal with wearing. When they land, all the layers come off, and are given to family members..

While the goverments are still involved in the embargo, the people are nothing but gracious to visitors, by all that I have seen, or read about..I cannot wait to sail in.......

Old June 17th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

In the mid 70's I worked in a warehouse that employed a lot of Cubans. The warehouse was owned by a major telephone company. I worked there for 2 years. The Cuban people were very nice and very polite. The potlucks that we had were great. Very good food. I'm not so sure that it is the Cuban people that have a problem with Americans as much as it is the Cuban government that has the problem with Americans.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Sorry, I forgot to answer the OP question. Yes, I would visit Cuba.