Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Familiar Face

Default Side trips on the Baltic

Hi we are doing a baltic cruise in August have a couple questions re side trips. #1 In St Petersberg do all the side trips that go to the hermitage get to go into the gold room?. #2 Would appreciate any recommendations on which side trip in Helsinki, and lastly in Tallin Estonia we have heard of a market called the sweater wall which sell all hand knitted sweaters etc. has anybody been to it and is it easy to find.
Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM
First Mate

Hi Davo|
#1- yes #2 Take the usual tour of the city.In Tallin my daughter bought a beautiful sweater two years ago they are really gorgeous.
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

St Petersburg- The only advice I can give you for the Hermitage is pick (with some flexibility) what you would like to see the most. As you have probably heard, the whole thing becomes a blur after a while. DO however make sure your tours and/or your personal time includes a chance to walk through the streets and along the canals during daylight (unless you are there during White Nights then anytime before 10pm)

If you have the opportunity to eat in a Georgian or Russian restaurant while there, I would recommend it but do not mix Champanski and Vodka... oooo my head hurts just thinking about it.

If you want to pick a meeting point or a place to 'gather' yourself, pick the Grand Hotel Europe... I know things have changed a lot since I worked in Moscow but I am sure this is still as beautiful (and safe) as it gets. There was a German Pub around the corner either in or near there too that is a good meeting point. Hope this helps!