CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Fanny pack (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/348067-fanny-pack.html)

Jayne10 March 7th, 2008 07:24 AM

Fanny pack

I guesss that's what they still call them. Use to be real popular several years ago, now not so much. Even so, they seem quite useful. I was wondering if you are wearing one when you fly, is it considered a carry-on? I need to carry my camera bag, and a days worth of clothes, meds, etc, in a second bag, and while I am sure I can find space in one of those for the few things I might normally carry in a purse, the fanny pack would be more convenient. Does anyone know?
Jayne

Nicnme March 7th, 2008 09:48 AM

Jayne - I have a "backpack purse" that I use instead of a fanny pack - easy for me. It is a mini back pack and works well for shore excursions. Anyway - I have never had trouble carrying that and a carry on with the airlines.
Good luck

Paul Motter March 7th, 2008 03:25 PM

I doubt they would count it as a carry on as long as you had it on when you boarded. Put it under your jacket.

ready2board March 7th, 2008 04:53 PM

Get one and carry it! They are great. Like a woman's purse, they don't count as a carry on.

mehawk March 7th, 2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2board
Get one and carry it! They are great. Like a woman's purse, they don't count as a carry on.

Yes, go get one. I have four myself. Two from Carnival, red and blue; one tan one and one black one. I use mine to carry my weapon... legally I might add. :wink:

Sassy2005 March 8th, 2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
I use mine to carry my weapon... legally I might add. :wink:

That's awesome.

Jayne10 March 8th, 2008 07:36 AM

"Get one and carry it! They are great. Like a woman's purse, they don't count as a carry on."

My original question was along the lines of if you are wearing a fanny pack, can you still carry two pieces of carry on luggage. The above statement indicates a womans purse is not considered one of the carry on's, so a lady might actually "carry" three items? Actually, its hard enough getting myself down the aise of a typical aircraft without having to juggle anything I am carrying, but since everyone else does, I will, and it is necessary. I just don't want to be stopped and have someon e say...."You have to take that off and put it in your bag". Loses its convenience entirely.

Thanks
jayne

JJones March 8th, 2008 10:08 AM

From Luggage dot com

Carry-On Baggage: Size and piece-count matters. In general one item may be carried onboard the plane per passenger. The dimensions vary slightly by carrier (airline) and by aircraft type and layout. However, it is usually permitted to bring onboard an item that is 9� x 14� x 22� (note ALL luggage marked as “Carry-On� at LuggageGuy.com fit this requirement). Some airlines allow bags up to 25� in height onboard. Most airlines request that this carry-on bag should weigh less than 40 pounds, when filled.

Additionally, most airlines allow for one additional “personal item� to be brought onboard such as a briefcase, purse, diaper bag, outer garments, or a small shoulder bag. This item MUST fit under the seat.

I do think I've read there are special exceptions made for meds.. The 2 item limit INCLUDES a purse, briefcase, etc. Only one item is allowed per person in the overhead.. the second must fit under the seat..
All fellow passengers appreciate those who follow the rules LOL

ready2board March 8th, 2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, go get one. I have four myself. Two from Carnival, red and blue; one tan one and one black one. I use mine to carry my weapon... legally I might add. :wink:

MeHawk:

Mine has a holster in it too. I have gotten stopped by the metal detector /xray folks from airline security before asking me about the holster part...They are always cool with it though. I'm glad they are checking actually! You ever been asked about it?

beenie weenie March 8th, 2008 10:07 PM

Hey Ready, I met my Dad for dinner tonight and asked him about that Restaurant in Htown and he instantly knew what I was talking about. He said oh yeah people would line up for blocks on a Saturday... My Dad is 83 now and he had to have been in his 20's back then I would guess, so it must have been pretty darn good stuff.

mehawk March 8th, 2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MeHawk:

Mine has a holster in it too. I have gotten stopped by the metal detector /xray folks from airline security before asking me about the holster part...They are always cool with it though. I'm glad they are checking actually! You ever been asked about it?

I don't have that particular one anymore as it was in the trunk of my car that was destroyed. The others are just plain ones. If they ask, I just show my ID.

ready2board March 9th, 2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Hey Ready, I met my Dad for dinner tonight and asked him about that Restaurant in Htown and he instantly knew what I was talking about. He said oh yeah people would line up for blocks on a Saturday... My Dad is 83 now and he had to have been in his 20's back then I would guess, so it must have been pretty darn good stuff.

Hey BW...Yep, it's still there. I was actually supposed to go there the other night and meet some old classmates for a non formal reunion but ended up having to work. It's still a good place but not quite up to par as when your Dad used to go or even 10 years ago. They've had some problems since the original owner died...Long story. It's been around since the 40's. Neat about your Dad's connection over here...Small world!!

miami March 15th, 2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJones
All fellow passengers appreciate those who follow the rules LOL

ain't that the truth!

elfster March 15th, 2008 07:27 PM

Re: Fanny pack

I highly recommend a waterproof fanny pack. I bring mine on every vacation either on land or sea. They're great for the beach and any actvities near water ( keep the sand and water out of cell phones, ipods, digital camera, etc).

http://www.waterproof-paper.com/case...nny-pack.shtml

The above is the one I have :wink:

LibraLass March 16th, 2008 10:38 AM

FANNY PACK !! ??

http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

Don't say that if you come to Britian then!!!

a FANNY is a ladies ummm private part here....

ahhhhh !!!

We call it a bum bag - LOL !! :roll:

Sue

Paul Motter March 16th, 2008 04:14 PM

That's a well-known story, especially if you worked on cruise ships and you talk to the british shop keepers. They love it when Americans walk in and ask for a fanny pack. IN Britain the fanny is not the part in back, either (sorry to any Brits who may be reading thism but it isn't a bad word here).

But then again, here a "shag" is a haircut from 80s and a over there a "fag" is a cigarette.

Dave the Wave March 20th, 2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter
But then again, here a "shag" is a haircut from 80s and a over there a "fag" is a cigarette.

Yeah and here, a fanny pack is also called a fagbag. :shock:

I have one and use it. Some say they are out of fashion but to me they are practical. Several zippered compartments for money, cards, camera, smokes, keys, ect... I don't like all that stuff in my pockets.

Paul Motter March 20th, 2008 06:34 PM

I have a bag I call my "manpurse" (only among friends, though, like all the strangers reading this). But I took the strap off and attach it to my belt so it isn't so weird.

It's really handy, have to admit. Holds my camera, wallet, glasses, nose-spray, keycards, money, whatever.

This year it is getting replaced with one of those airport lanyards, though, that hold your passport, plane tickets and everything else in a thing that hangs from your neck.