Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Default Attire

Quote:
For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
We're leaving on Saturday for our cruise and I just finished packing. We're bringing one nice outfit to have dinner in the formal dining room one night but otherwise we're brining all shorts - no slacks. Casual wear does not include shorts - so where will we be able to eat?

Jen D.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Jen, I bet you're excited, your time is drawing near! You may wear shorts in the buffet and eat dinner there.
Shorts are not allowed in the dining room though. I like to bring a few black separates skirt, slacks, capri's that I can mix and match with a few nice tops, so I can eat in the dining room. I usually pack d/h one or two pair of dockers and a few dress shirts with or without ties and that is sufficient. These things don't take up much room if you want to have a more upscale dining experience.
But make it easy on yourself, do what makes you happy. Your table will be waiting for you in the dining room should you decide to take advantage of it.

Jen if you are hesitant to risk the dining room for reasons previously discussed, I would give it a try and see how it goes. But I would not limit myself to just one night, without really giving it a go. Forgive me, but I cannot recall which ship you'll be on, but if by chance its one of the newer Conquest class ships, I would never want to miss a romantic dinner in the Supper Club. It's worth the extra expense, and on Carnival you will have great activities in the kid's club, so you and d/h can have the guilt free time together you probably wouldn't get to have otherwise (at least thats the case for d/h and I). Everyone is different, but I would encourage you to keep your options open and try everything at least once.
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Admiral

You can eat in the buffet if you wish.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Attire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai_lin
Quote:
For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
We're leaving on Saturday for our cruise and I just finished packing. We're bringing one nice outfit to have dinner in the formal dining room one night but otherwise we're brining all shorts - no slacks. Casual wear does not include shorts - so where will we be able to eat?

Jen D.
Jen.. a pair of capri's and docker's for hubby don't take up much room.. I'd try to throw them in just because I think you'll find the dining is well worth it! (Only need one pair apiece with different shirts) Buffets are great.. but it's just not the same Of course, come to think of it you could wear your dress-ups every night.. Nobody would care and you'd get the best of both worlds ........

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Capri's are a good way to go and are perfectly acceptable in the dining room. As far as shoes go, I wore sandals (velcro closed) everynight in the dining room. I don't recommend flip flops with a dressy outfit . Although, I did wear my sandals with my dressy clothes, but my pants were long enough and I didn't give a darn!!!!

The buffet area is a decent place to eat and you do have choice. If you want to know if dining in the dining room is for you check out the menu onscreen in your room or in the main level entrance of the restaurant (for Destiny class and above) to see if you want to dine in the dining room or the buffet. I don't know if the fish n chips is open late, but it is something different to have for lunch (Conquest class ships only). Pizza is available anytime and the cheese (margharita) is yummy!!!!! Ice cream is also 24 hours.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have to agree with the previous posters, just pick up a pair or two of capri's or even a sun type dress and dockers for the DH along with a few polo shirts and give the dining room a try. I think you'll be missing out on some good times and food, that's what cruising is all about.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was confused by the description on carnivals website - it made it sound like even the casual dining (buffet) required nicer clothes. It'll be a tug of war to get hubby to wear anything other than shorts but I have a nice dress and a nice black skirt with some nice tops - I'll pack him some pants and a nice button down shirt. We won't be doing formal nights but I definitely want to do at least one night in the dining room - I honestly can't remember the last time we went out to eat, never mind wearing something other than jeans. I'm thankful grandma and grandpa are going so we can get our 'night out' without the peanut (our daughter).

Thanks again for the help!

Jen D.
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM
First Mate

If you tend to get cold, you might consider bringing one pair of pants. I'm always cold in the show lounges and usually go back to change into pants.

We are also the type that perfer to stay in shorts most of the time and prefer the buffet to the dining room.

Check to see if your ship has a deli. The Glory did and the sandwiches were great! They also had a pizza, grill, fish/chips place, oriental food, international (changed nightly if I remember correctly) in addition to the regular buffet.

Enjoy!
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM
kookylabooka

Default Re: Attire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai_lin
Quote:

Jen D.
Everywear but the dining room at dinner.Caual wear does include shorts.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

Get room service, then you can skip the shorts too and dine in your unmentionables !!

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
First Mate

I too, tend to get cold on the ships, so I do bring an all around sweater.
Like beenie, I pack 1 black top and 1 black pant, then every year I buy a sheer shirt/jacket to cover the top.

That's what I'm doing for the 15 day Hawaii cruise.

Trust me, once your DH enjoys a meal in the dining room, he will want to go again. It's just a good experience to have great food and be waited on.

Have fun Jen.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Familiar Face

Why go on a cruise in the first place if you're not going to enjoy the best part of cruisng?
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree.... you will be missing so much by not eating in the dining room - lovely 4 -5 course meals - steak, lobster and lamb - and you want to miss this and eat buffet food, just so you can wear shorts????

You are paying a lot of money for this cruise - don't MISS OUT!!!

Pack hubbie some trousers and shoes and a nice short sleeved shirt and at least dine in the restaurant on some nights PLEASE!!

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

oooooooooooh I have been promoted - now a cruise maniac and not just a mere 'passenger'

happy days

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Passenger

I could not agree more. And anyway, sometimes it's just fun to dress up. but for the dining room, capris, or long pants, or a sun dress, Hubby can bing one pair of long pants. No jeans either on most ships in the dining room. But the dining room is definately worth it, the food is better, the appetizers, everything.... don't miss it. And honestly, the wait staff is usually delightful, and you get an opportunity to learn about other people. On HAL they are mostly Indonesian. That's the only place I've ever met Indonesians, and every one I've met has been charming. there are lots of reasons to go to the dining room. Many ships have a pianist during dinner. there are theme nights, It's just fun. My DH was ill this trip, and we missed having dinner in the dining room for 4 nights, out of 11. I would run up to the Lido and bring something down, or order room service. I feel like I missed out on a major part of the cruis.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam