Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Would you like a No children cruise?
yes 101 84.87%
no 18 15.13%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default No Kids Cruise

How many people here would love to book a cruise without any children on it? Say, above 25 years old only. I think it would be cool!

A cruise that is decade specific would be fun too. Those born in the 40's or 50's or 60's or 70's or 80's

What do you all think?
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I can't say that kids bother me, because they don't. I do sort of like your idea for a decades-only cruise. I sometimes wonder how the cruise lines would do if they tried more cruises like this.

Singles operators do very well running singles cruises. Music concert producers do well chartering cruises. Why don't the cruise lines try it more often?
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I can't really vote on this one because I have never been on a cruise where kids were a problem. I do like it when I sail on a line or ship that is predominantly adults. I prefer smaller ships and these ships don't attract too many families with kids.

In regard to the 40's, 50's, 60's....... etc cruise. I don't think I would like that. One: My wife and I are separated by a decade so one of us couldn't go and I really enjoy having a mixed age group on the ship. It makes things more interesting.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Beginner

I'm a mother of two so I obviously don't mind cruising with children. I think they make it fun. Of course, being a parent, it is my responsibility to make sure my children behave. I cannot stand it when parents let their children run wild for seven days.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
First Mate

OH, to relax in the pool or hot tub without being splashed by kids.

No crying & whining in the diningroom--------YES!!!!

Barb
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

As a mom of 3, I do plan the family vacation for everyone and plan another for just us adults. Just like this year. I am not one that is irritated or bothered by kids; however, when it comes to smart mouthed kids I have no patience.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I have not yet had an issue with any kids onboard. I have yet to cruise without my kids.
I would not want to cruise on a ship with no kids at all. I like to see at least some kiddies around.
I like a differernt mixture of people from ages Infant to 90's!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Celebrity had a few adults only cruises a few years back. Given that they haven't been repeated I don't imagine they were too much of a success.

Paul, maybe you can contact Celebrity and find out why they weren't repeated.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to saltwatercruise

Adults on one boat and parents on another boat. I love that idea. :-) As a very happy parent of a 4 and 6 year old, some grown-up time with my wife would be a nice treat.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Cruising with kids is alittle different then other vacations. Say Disney where all week the kids are with mom and dad attached to the hip 24/7!
Always have plenty of private time to spend with DH while cruising. Kiddies have so much to do while cruising and love the kids clubs. And also I get to have some "Me time" too!

Cruising is the only vacation that I can have adult time, time with the kids and Me time all in one week.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Admiral

My 'kid' is 26 and married.

Though I love to hear the laughter and exhurbarance (sp) of children, I'd also like to choose to cruise without kids.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Really, the only problem I have with kids on a cruise (or anywhere else for that matter) is when the parents see it as an opportunity to stop being parents if you know what I mean. On one cruise, I was seated at the pool next to a family with two kids (roughly 8-10 years old). After going through several virgin frozen drinks, they announced to mom that they were bored and there were too many adults in the hot tub where they wanted to go. "Well, just jump in and start splashing real hard and they'll move" was her advice. She was quite smug about getting the kids out of her hair so she could relax - grrrrrr.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Captain

I have not really seen any problems with kids on cruises but I have not been on a cruise where one would expect to see lots of kids like during school vacations. Perhaps adult only cruises might not work but with Carnival introducing adult serenity areas perhaps its only a matter of time?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Passenger

I'm in agreement on adult only as well. Too many places have turned from being an adult destination into a family destination. Sometimes adults just want to be around other adults without children.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Admiral

I voted Yes in the poll, but that is because I will book any cruise, with or without kids on board. Would not book non smoking, since I would be so grumpy from withdrawal that I would probably start throwing people overboard, but other than that, just get on a ship and I'm good. I also would not do the age by decades thing, since DH is more than a decade younger than me. They would have to let me bring him along!
Marty
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Default Hurray - no screaming children!

We just returned form a wonderful voyage on the Regent Paul Gauguin in the Society Islands. It;s a small vessel and there were no children. It was WONDERFUL.

After our trip, we were reviewing our likes/dislikes on the cruise and suddenly realized that just one bratty kid would have made a big difference in the relaxation and sheer enjoyment on this small and intimate vessel.

It seems that everywhere we travel, we encounter that proverbial screaming child or chidlren and it has been at least distracting if not ruinous to our vacations on land or sea.

Children love to play in the pool, but that means that we can't enjoy the pool area or just sit & relax because little Johnny and Suzy are tweaked on limitless soda pops and dominate the atrea with their shrill voices and scurrying about. BTW, it;s interesting how children can drink those endless soft drinks and never exit the pool once during the day. Strong kidneys? I think not. Enjoy your swim.

We were on a Holland America vessel late last year that touted it's "adults-only" pool (in addition to the main pool where everyone is invited). You guessed it - doting Mommies and Daddies just can't believe that the rules apply to them and their precious snowflakes. The ship staff failed to enforce the rule. So we had to endure the screams of the tykes and a bevy of 14-16 year old morose teens who proceeded to dominate the pool and adjoining area. VERY irritating, not relaxing at all.

No thank you.

Please...more adults-only venues on both ship and shore. We will be the first to sign up.

/chidren are our future and that is when I will be pleased to vacation with them...when they are a bit older and mannered...in the future I hope.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No Kids Cruise

Without the kiddos the ship would really creak - and it wouldn't be from the steel plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
How many people here would love to book a cruise without any children on it? Say, above 25 years old only. I think it would be cool!

A cruise that is decade specific would be fun too. Those born in the 40's or 50's or 60's or 70's or 80's

What do you all think?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

what about a no parents/adults/ancients cruise?

some of the ships on princess/norwegian that I have been on have had mediocre or downright bad teen programs. if they invested more staff/effort/money into these programs maybe we'd be out of your hair more often =)

Carnival Destiny - 2000
Norwegian Dawn - April 2006
Crown Princess - June 2007
Norwegian Gem - March 2008
Caribbean Princess - July 2008
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Good point, kiddo. Would not mind tossing you guys in the water (can teach PADI Intro to SCUBA, minimum age 10) as I can always drag you out (as a Red Cross Life Guard). Just back from West Texas doing BSA Scuba for 11 kiddos and the week before doing a cavalcade on horse for a week with 8 kiddos.

Have looked into the Merit Badge Cruises that were being organized until the scouts saw a conflict of interest. That way you guys could be dragged aboard ship and actually forced to learn something. CPR, First Aid, Lifesaving, Oceanography, etc. Being lazy, I probably would have had my 13 year old master diver do the classes.

Been dragging my kiddo all over the globe since age one so I may have some idea of what you kiddos are interested in. Been a former Explorer Post advisor with teens, currently have 36 scouts in my troop, and teach dozens of merit badge classes each year.

Don't mind you kiddos aboard as I can still out ride, out shoot, out dive out hike and out travel you, even at age 51. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger91

some of the ships on princess/norwegian that I have been on have had mediocre or downright bad teen programs. if they invested more staff/effort/money into these programs maybe we'd be out of your hair more often =)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Have you cruised RCCL? The kids programs are great. In fact I wish they were not so so good this way my son would have spent more time with me.

Last weeks cruise there were over 1500 kids onboard. There were no problems or issues.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:

Have you cruised RCCL? The kids programs are great. In fact I wish they were not so so good this way my son would have spent more time with me.

Last weeks cruise there were over 1500 kids onboard. There were no problems or issues.

WOW...1500 kids on board???? Remind me not to take a RCCL cruise during the summer!

For the most part we haven't had any trouble with children on cruises but it would be nice to have more serenity room where one could get away from all the screaming little rug rats! On the cruises I have been on, if you don't get to the adult area of the ship early you wont find a spot to sit! If that fact alone is any indication as to what adults really want then a adults only cruise IMHO would go over real good!

Chow
Tim

ps.....I like the idea of a young persons cruise too. Get away from all us stuffy oldsters!
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old July 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
WOW...1500 kids on board???? Remind me not to take a RCCL cruise during the summer!
I think all cruiselines will have alot of kids onboard during the summer and school holidays not just RCCL.

When the CD announced there were over 1500 kids onboard I could not believe it as it really did not seem like that much.
Although the bulk of the kids were around the 12 to 21 age group and not to many of the screaming toddlers.

I really did not see this!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Good point, kiddo. Would not mind tossing you guys in the water (can teach PADI Intro to SCUBA, minimum age 10) as I can always drag you out (as a Red Cross Life Guard). Just back from West Texas doing BSA Scuba for 11 kiddos and the week before doing a cavalcade on horse for a week with 8 kiddos.

Have looked into the Merit Badge Cruises that were being organized until the scouts saw a conflict of interest. That way you guys could be dragged aboard ship and actually forced to learn something. CPR, First Aid, Lifesaving, Oceanography, etc. Being lazy, I probably would have had my 13 year old master diver do the classes.

Been dragging my kiddo all over the globe since age one so I may have some idea of what you kiddos are interested in. Been a former Explorer Post advisor with teens, currently have 36 scouts in my troop, and teach dozens of merit badge classes each year.

Don't mind you kiddos aboard as I can still out ride, out shoot, out dive, out hike and out travel you, even at age 51. 8)

Quote:

Old August 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Passenger

choose to cruise without kids perfect
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jbfree
Default Heaven

Just coming back from my first cruise on Carnival Imagination, I would vote for a cruise with out children. I have 3 children myself but they didn't go with me on this trip. I couldn't get in the pool or hot tub and their were teens running around everywhere. They didn't bother me but next time I'd like to go on a singles cruise that has no children so maybe I could get in the pool.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Passenger

My last cruise on the Conquest had several kids, but they didn't bother me except no room in the pools. Maybe since most kids will be in school this time, I might be able to get in the pool. I love kids and seeing them have fun. I don't have any grandchildren yet, but I am looking forward to having them.
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Kids

If you perfer not cruising with children, It is advised to take the upscale Lines such as Silver Seas, Raddison's or Seaborn on two week voyages or longer during the school season.

When you pick a cruise line with programs for youth, ofcourse there will be kids and if you cruise during the holidays or summer vacation, double or triple those numbers.
The cruise lines depends on the adults bringing children, not only is the revenue greater but the cruise lines just secured a future customer.

We have all been exposed to babies crying and kids letting loose and young teens partying, thats there job.

There are not many situations that most adults have not encountered. Example, babies crying in the formal restaurant or speciality restaurant.
Parents do not remove the baby, even if others have endured unreasonable displeasure.
Other times you will have everybody at that table pasifying the child, which even presents more of a distraction.
If you are allowing your emotions to build, then you should allow the staff to act.
Being reseated is the best resolve.
Here is a common situation.
The pools and whirlpools are aways crawling with kids, the problem relies on the parent.
Once again have the staff tend to the problem, there are reasons for this action.
First, the attendents at the pool are trained and they follow the rules set by the cruise Lines, such as verification of age requirements in the whirlpools and compliance to conduct policies.

In case you are not aware, Parents are fully responsible for there children.
Once the parents and the wild child have been advised, the staff will continue to monitor them for the duration of the cruise.

It is advised to never engage with a parent, it's not your job and you do not have authority to do so.
If the problem does not resolve from staff intervention, then complain at a higher level at the front dest, after that, you should avoid any common areas that would expose any contact with the individules whom fail to conduct themselfs in a orderly manner.

The cruise line will not always obtain the results that you are looking for, so never allow a incident to distract from your ultimate goal.
Just remember, Your on vacation.

Here is the policy for Celebrity Cruise lines.
Age Policies
Facility Age Requirement
Thalassotherapy Pool* Age 16 and over*
Fun Factory Facilities Ages 3 through 17, with age-specific sections.
Theater Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian
Pools** Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or whirlpools
Whirlpools ** Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult
Ports of call Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult
Bingo Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult
Fitness Center Age 16 and over
Aqua Spa Age 18 and over
Ages 13 through 17 may only be present while participating in scheduled treatments

Adult Night Club / Disco Age 18 and over (see Alcohol Policy)
Casino*** Age 18 and over (except Alaska***)
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have 2 kids and 2 grandkids who I love more then life itself, but that dont mean I want to take them on a cruise with me! I feel the Disney ships are the most apporiate place for kids....But I am just a mean old lady. *thats what my daughter tells me*

I guess what bothers me most is that these days parents just dont make their kids behave. Some parents are so busy with their lives and wants that they forget how to parent. They allow the kids to run wild and have no manners or disapline. I see my daughter doing the same thing with her 2 year old and I get so mad. I tell her that she will regret it when the baby is older and can not be controlled. She gives in to her to "shut her up". On my first and only cruise it was mostly older people...I mean like really old. But I had fun anyway. I love old people. You can learn so much from them.

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
First Mate

Default Kids

I used to be a kid but never got to go on a cruise---always wanted to. Then I got "old" and can now go on cruises and the kids don't seem to bother me or my wife. Guess I see a little "me" in those lucky kids.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Beginner

I would love a cruise without kids lol sometimes its good to have the swimming pool without hearing the screams