Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Beginner

Default A couple first timer questions

-how much would you tip the porters at port ( for luggage of 2 people)
-how much alcohol ( legally) can u bring back from the ports of call
-is the there a limit of how much soda ur bring on, would a 24 case be ok?
--Iam going to cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica, which islands use a tender?
-For formal nights on the cruise, for women do we have to make sure our back and shoulders are covered or would a halter type dress be ok to wear?
- Is the captains party I hear about for everyone or just returning guests to carnival
- Is there a secret door on the triumph??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Admiral

at least a buck a bag.

can't remember but just turn the TV and they'll have port talks thatwill inform you, or go down to the duty free gift shop on the ship and they'll let you know.
-is the there a limit of how much soda ur bring on, would a 24 case be ok? I've seen ppl with 6 and 12 packs. Not sure what the limit is,
--Iam going to cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica, which islands use a tender? Grand Cayman and Jamaica are tender ports

-For formal nights on the cruise, for women do we have to make sure our back and shoulders are covered or would a halter type dress be ok to wear? Either way is fine.
- Is the captains party I hear about for everyone or just returning guests to carnival, Yes.

- Is there a secret door on the triumph?? I don't recall a secret door on her, but then again, I don;t recall what I ate for breakfast

Have fun!
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Hi PnP33!!

Beenie answered all of your questions correctly except that
we thankfully were able to dock in Jamaica just last month.
Enjoy your cruise!!!

Celebrity Solstice--Nov.30, 2008
Our First Cruisemates Cruise!!!
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

You can bring back as much alcohol as you want. The catch is you'll have to pay duty on anything more than two bottles.

You should tip a couple of dollars per bag to the porters.

You will tender in Grand Cayman.

A 24 pack of soda should be OK.

The back and neck of a woman does not need to be covered on formal night. She may want to bring a wrap or shawl because the dining room can be a little cool.

The Captains party is for everyone. The "Repeaters" party is for past guests.

I don't know about a secret door on Triumph.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob

I how much would you tip the porters at port ( for luggage of 2 people)
I usually just give them a five dollar bill and call it a day, I am worry if I under tip they might send my bag up last.

The bigger question is how much can you bring back that’s duty free, if you go beyond that amount they may make you pay taxes on it, I think you can find this info on your duty form.

-is the there a limit of how much soda ur bring on, would a 24 case be ok? I didn’t even think about bringing my own soda, but what a great idea I hope you can.

For formal nights on the cruise, for women do we have to make sure our back and shoulders are covered or would a halter type dress be ok to wear? I think as long as its formal wear it shouldn’t matter

Is there a secret door on the triumph??
I think you have been watching too many ghost mystery shows lol , I do have to say that the Triumph is a great ship and I think your going to have a great time.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: A couple first timer questions

My answers will be a little different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettynpink33
One of my pet peeves is the "porters" at the cruise terminal. That is a Union Job and there have been ongoing discussions at port of Miami about whther they should be allowed to accept tips at all. The problem is their solicitations of tips. This is what ticks me off, because I have heard some of them lie about it in this form...

"Take care of me now and I'll make sure you bag gets to your cabin safe and sound."

That is a lie, the only move the bags into a warehouse holding area. The ship's crew loads them onto the ship and then distributes them to the cabins. The outside porters (actually called stevadores) have nothing to do with getting your bag to your cabin.

This has gotten to the point where Ft Lauderdale has put up signs that say "It is not required to tip the baggage handlers at the port". They put the signs up to stop the rampant solicitation and lying. In Miami they had the signs for awhile, but then took them down again years ago.

Therefore, the answer is you don't have to tip them, and if you do you are only playing into more such lying. However, if you are afraid NOT to tip them then I would limit it to $1/bag. The truth is they don't carry them all that far and ship personell carry them much further.

Quote:
--how much alcohol ( legally) can u bring back from the ports of call
I believe the duty-free limit is two quarts per adult. You can easily verify this on the ship. This is referring to customs.

Quote:
is the there a limit of how much soda ur bring on, would a 24 case be ok?
It depends on what cruise line you are on. Generally, they allow a cooler that will hold about 2 six or eight-packs

The last two have been answered already.
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Agree with above - the dock porters here at Southampton-UK only take bags fom car, a few yards to a hole in the wall of the ship

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Hello Libralass from England. I never noticed you posting before. How nice to have a Brit among us. What cruises have you been one?
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Paul.
I've posted 94 times in the past couple of months I am sure you couldn't have missed me ?? Ha ha....

I started cruising only 2 years ago am now taking my 5th in a few weeks -' Voyage to Venice' for 16n. Have been on cruise chat sites since 2005 - when I first booked my 1st cruise for silver wedding.

If interested, have albums of some 'brit' cruises I have taken on AURORA and ARCADIA (p& o)

link is: http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Sue -Libra lass
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have seen you online, my dear, just never noticed you are a Brit. I really look forward to hearing your perspective on cruising as it is all the rage in Europe now. You were an "early adopter" since still something like only about 1% of Brits have yet to cruise.

Do you still get strange looks from people when you tell them you like cruising? Do they still say things like "I wouldn't want to be stuck on a boat for a week?" and those other misconceptions that we really don't hear so much over here any more?
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, and when they say boat I say ship , and when they say room I say cabin!!!

Some say, oh' I would get bored ', or 'I'd be sea sick' that annoys me.... I then have to tell them about all the things you can do on a ship in the day - and evening, and that people rarely get sea sick on large cruise ships, and if they do they can have injection from the dr, etc

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Do you what the cruise lines execs say about British cruisers?

"Beer, beans & bacon."

I tried the link to your pictures but it just took me to the Picasso home.

What time of year do you like to cruise? Have you been to the Canaries in the dead of Winter (Nov - Feb) and are they warm?
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well my dear, I like good wine and so does my husband, we hardly ever eat beans and bacon - at breakfast we have melon fromage frais and croissants....

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

ps.

Paul can you try this link and tell me if it works?

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPa...OnArcadiaMay06

this is my first cruise to the canaries, back space 'to 'my public gallery' for other albums.... I'm worried now there is something wrong with my web page!
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

sounds like you are more French than Brit. Are you sure you're British?

I once sat through a 1/2-hour demonstration on Fromage. American's know almost nothing about cheese. To the Europeans cheese is an art - here it is a hamburger adornment. Something some people call cheese actually comes out of a nozzle.

We once thought about bringing some cheese back from France, but by the second day you could smell it in the hallway outside our cabin. I had to through it away, I said "I'm not going to stink up the whole plane on a transatlantic flight"

The Brits do understand beer, though, except for the served warm business. Do they serve the beer warm on the P&O ships?
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

The beer is bottled and chilled mainly , but you can have it from the pump and its not warm then either...Guinness and cidar is chilled too

you have a lot of poor misconceptions of us mate!

Sue
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

They aren't my misconceptions, I am just repeating what I have heard! I have been to Britain, though, I do think there is a diff between chilly and cold. I don't care, though. I still think the British beer tastes better.