Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Default Not All Cruise Travel Agents are alike!

Warning!
Caution!
Avoid Cruise Value Center at all costs, terrible company.
They are rude, dishonest, unreliable, and has horrible customer service!
The price listed when booking online is the final price. No price adjustments available after booking online. Which means if your cruise has a price drop, Cruise Value Center will not honor it. If they do, they discourage you by imposing a $50 p\p fee.
Cruise Value Center charges a $50 per person fee for changes, if you misspell your name ouch! They will charge you for it.
Cruise Value Center will impose a $75 per person fee for cancellation plus any penalty from the cruise line.
Cruise Value Center will offer you shipboard credit at time of booking and will change it after booking, stating they made a mistake.

Even though this consolidator offers cruises at reasonable prices, I would rather spend my money on friendly, honest, ethical, caring Travel Agent than to be taken for a ride after booking.
Needless to say that we will no longer be using Cruise Value Center.
My recommendation....STAY AWAY!!!!!!!
Best of luck to anyone who uses Cruise Value Center.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Captain

Default good to know

this is good to know. Smartcrusier is the same way. But they won't let you change at all even at a fee.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've always said, a good travel agent is worth their weight in gold....Just smart to deal with someone that knows cruises and you can call and or e-mail with changes or questions.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In the interest of full disclosure, they do advertise with us, and we have mentioned before in these boards that they do charge this service fee you mention. We have said "this company has very good prices, but you must know exactly what you want when you book with them." They will charge a service fee for changes or cancellations.

But the truth is (and I do price comparisons every week to do my newsletter) they do have some of the best prices online, plus you will find them giving valuable perks that hardly anyone else gives, such as pre-paid tips if you book a balcony, etc.

Not to say I recommend them, or that I say avoid them.

I can say with certainly that I can find deals on their website that I doubt any other agency can beat. Though a very few agencies may match them, most will not.

The company has been around forever, is very well known and well-established, and even takes credit for inventing the concept of cruise "rebating" (giving part of their commission back to the buyer).

Quoting their founder as told to me by another cruise agent,

"I'm a master-rebater"

They are no-nonsense, though, and you have to know the mentality you are dealing with. The logical thing, if you plan to use them, is to plan far ahead and be very careful about how you fill out forms.