Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
First Mate

Default Northern Lights During Alaska Cruise?

Question for anyone who's sailed to Alaska or lives there....where and when have you seen the northern lights at night? If you saw this rare sight on a cruise:
1. what location were you?
2. what time in the evening?
3. what month?

I'm going the first week of June...and I don't know what time it gets dark during that month. If I know what time in the evening I'm likely to see these lights, I'll go out on deck to watch a bit!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Hi!!!
You can see the northern lights after August 15,it depends on the weather
but it is a little late to go to Alaska in September to see more of the
lights. Have a nice cruise, MTL
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
First Mate

Sorry Quebec, but your time for northern lights or aurora borealis, is questionable. We live in Saskatchewan and are treated quite regularly to this phenomenon........often in winter, but definitely summer also. You are not 'guaranteed' to see it on an Alaskan cruise or anywhere. Atmospheric conditions need to be right. On the other hand, you may get the show of a lifetime.
That far north it really doesn't get really dark in June. There will be a few hours of semi-darkness, otherwise expect it to be fairly light for a good 18 hours or more. The dancing lights are visible in the evenings as soon as it is dark enough to show up. The most fantastic display I have ever seen was in June. Another occasion I remember clearly was in July.
We will be on an Alaskan cruise this July. It would be nice to see northern lights while on the ship, but we have seen them all our lives.
Hope you get lucky !!!
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can see the Northern Lights anytime they are active, but they are best in the country where there is no light pollution from the city. I live in Canada, and fairly far North that when I waiting for the bus to go to work in the morning in winter I can see them, when active....You need not have to go to Alaska to see them, but it is a much better way because you're on vacation. They are best views late at night or very early (pre dawn) morning.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
First Mate

thanks Edmonton. I think we probably see more during winter simply because the nights are sooooo long. I guess we're kind of spoiled here in the north as we are treated to spectacular displays in the sky on a regular basis. We live in the country, and also have amazing sunsets. (It always makes me laugh when people are oohing and aahing over a Caribbean sunset that is so minimal. But I guess if you live in a big city you miss all that.)