CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   THE THINGS YOU REALLY NEED ON A CRUISE, AND YET MIGHT FORGET (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/349639-things-you-really-need-cruise-yet-might-forget.html)

Boiler Cuiser April 7th, 2008 08:21 PM

THE THINGS YOU REALLY NEED ON A CRUISE, AND YET MIGHT FORGET

My wife and I are taking our first cruise in October, 2008. I am not one to leave things to the last minute, particularly gathering those miscellaneous items that we will need on our trip.

It strikes me that there are many things that experienced cruisers know not to forget or know not to leave at home. There are, I'm sure, small things, seemingly insignificant things, mundane things, and ordinary things that experienced cruisers make sure they have, because not having them is a noticeable inconvenience or downright pain in the &%$@#!.

For myself and those others out there who are preparing for their first cruise, what suggestions do you veteran cruisers have? What small, insignificant, mundane and ordinary (or not so small, insignificant, mundane, or ordinary) things should be on my "must have" list of things to talk with me on the cruise.

Your suggestions will be helpful in completing our shopping & acquisition list.

Thanks.

Nicnme April 8th, 2008 11:27 AM

this might be silly but... on our most recent cruise i got a folding laundry basket (courtesy of CM's packing list) it was great for helping keep the room tidy. Previously, clothes got thrown inthe corner. Now they go in the basket and it is much more tidy. Other must have that I actually for got was sunscreen :oops: I was so worried about other stuff I forgot it and had to purchase it at the airport before we got our luggage and on to the ship. My DH has yet to let me forget that one :twisted: One other must have that doesn't get mentioned a whole lot is a mini first aid kit - band aids, neosporin, alchol wipes and calamine lotion.

If you google Cruise Packing list you get all kinds of things.
Enjoy 8)

Donna April 8th, 2008 08:48 PM

Pack a little travel flashlight, they come in handy in the middle of the night if you have to get up. Or, you can leave the bathroom light on and almost close the door. Either with an inside or a balcony cabin, its super dark in the cabins, so a flashlight does come in handy.

DianeTexas April 11th, 2008 08:04 AM

Re: THE THINGS YOU REALLY NEED ON A CRUISE, AND YET MIGHT FO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boiler Cuiser
My wife and I are taking our first cruise in October, 2008. I am not one to leave things to the last minute, particularly gathering those miscellaneous items that we will need on our trip.

It strikes me that there are many things that experienced cruisers know not to forget or know not to leave at home. There are, I'm sure, small things, seemingly insignificant things, mundane things, and ordinary things that experienced cruisers make sure they have, because not having them is a noticeable inconvenience or downright pain in the &%$@#!.

For myself and those others out there who are preparing for their first cruise, what suggestions do you veteran cruisers have? What small, insignificant, mundane and ordinary (or not so small, insignificant, mundane, or ordinary) things should be on my "must have" list of things to talk with me on the cruise.

Your suggestions will be helpful in completing our shopping & acquisition list.

Thanks.

Alarm clock, extra outlet, we buy one of those cheap clear shoe organizers and put it over the bathroom or closet door to organize all our stuff such as sun glasses, lotions, then everything is really handy and we leave it on the ship upon departing costs about 5.00

NanaShrek April 11th, 2008 10:52 AM

Remember to pack your documents/passport in your carryon and keep it with you to show as you enter the port (not in the trunk of the cab like we almost did! Good thing that bag wouldn't fit in the trunk! LOL)

Have a pakcing list (there are many out there to use as a starting point, do a search). Check off things as you pack. Don't forget chargers for phone, camera, etc. If you use odd batteries for any gadgets, you might want a spare. Meds (always pack valuables in carryon).

Princess has self-serve laundromats. I can only use hypoallergenic soaps, so I do my own laundry. I bring a mesh laundry tote that folds up to nothing. Leakproof containers work well for my laundry soap, shampoo, etc. You can get these at www.containerstore.com.

SandyBreit April 11th, 2008 02:07 PM

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this - there's a good article in the "cruise articles" section on packing tips, by Paul Motter, under the heading (for some reason) "ship features."

rosetattoo April 14th, 2008 01:46 PM

I pack a small container of antibacterial liquid hand soap for the bathroom, an inexpensive, plastic toothbrush holder, an insulated mug that I fill up from the beverage station before departing on a shore excursion, a light waterproof jacket with a hood and an inexpensive beach towel.

ready2board April 14th, 2008 04:59 PM

For guys, it's easy to forget to pack your dress socks and dress belt for your formal night suit/outfit. You usually see at least a few guys on formal night in their suit and white Nikes lol.

NY Cruisin Mama April 15th, 2008 03:36 AM

My DH uses a sleep apnea machine so we bring an extension cord and
a power strip. Extra batteries for the cameras, duct tape (for broken zippers on luggage), packable hats, room freshner (we had smokers on
either side of us). anti - diarrhea pills from personal physician so you don't have to see the ship's dr and get quarentined). a couple of DVD's
small nite lite, clothes pins, laundry soap and fabric softener sheets for
the self-serve laundries, extra perscription glasses, some folks are quite
concerned about the cleanliness of the mattress pads so I guess you may
consider that. Naturally, all your meds and a written list of them and the
dosages, health insurance cards, photocopies of your passports, driver's
license, and credit cards (in case). Leave the good jewelry at home !! :) :) :)

mrspaj April 15th, 2008 06:16 PM

i'm not sure if this has been said yet but my two suggestions are

1. a nightlight - especially if you're in an inside cabin and wake up to pee at in the middle of the night. the room is pitch black unless you turn on the main room lights which my husband didn't appreciate lol

2. benadryll anti-itch gel (comes in a convenient stick - the size of a pen)...on the last cruise i got an awesome rash on my stomach from the sun (seems my tummy doesn't see the sun very often here in chicago!) i had to go to the doctor on board and buy a few benadryll pills....

kd April 15th, 2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyBreit
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this - there's a good article in the "cruise articles" section on packing tips, by Paul Motter, under the heading (for some reason) "ship features."

This list contained far too many non-essentials. I actually weighed some of the items he mentioned on my little kitchen scale (slow day :oops: )and the added poundage was not needed IMO.

kd April 15th, 2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I pack a small container of antibacterial liquid hand soap for the bathroom, an inexpensive, plastic toothbrush holder, an insulated mug that I fill up from the beverage station before departing on a shore excursion, a light waterproof jacket with a hood and an inexpensive beach towel.

Washing your hands thoroughly with regular soap is just as effective.
Toothbrush holder??? stand them in a glass.
Insulated mug, tried this since the Celebrity coffee cups are almost 'demi-tasse' but really didn't use it. Unless you're a big coffee drinker, don't bother. We do appreciate having a good lexan refillable water bottle for excursions.
Beach towel?? why add the extra bulk, the ship will provide one (although they're large and take up half your backpack)
I thought the cheap shoe rack was a decent idea for the bahroom door, but we have toiletry bags that hang on the door and suffice.
Never needed the power bar, or duct tape.

NY Cruisin Mama April 15th, 2008 11:46 PM

Well, they are Suggestions, after all. Do with it what you want. :roll: :roll:

fireba11 April 28th, 2008 11:17 AM

A power strip is a must if you have very many electrical items! An alarm clock is nice, laptop computer, laundry basket, Electric FAN (sure missed not having one, an essential with an interior room), Hat's, the sun will burn you good, especially for northerners taking a winter trip!,

These are just a few, hope they help!
Tim

kd April 29th, 2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Well, they are Suggestions, after all. Do with it what you want. :roll: :roll:

Very true Sherri and I agree with most of your suggestions, but for first time cruisers, the OP would need to switch their suitcases for old fashioned steamer trunks to fit everyone's suggestions. Goodness gracious--laundry baskets, electric fan??? We are generally in an inside room and have never felt the need of a fan.....and I'm a woman past 50 LOL. I guess a laundry basket might be handy if you're on a ship with self-serve laundromats but we don't plan to do laundry on a week's vacation!

Anyway, pack the necessities, put a big smile on your face, plan to have a wonderful time. If you forgot something or think you might have liked an item, jot it down for next time (Oh, there will be a next time :wink: ) Also, room stewards are very good at procuring small items you may have forgotten. Chances are very good that you'll overpack........we all do.

longbeachlarry August 29th, 2008 07:08 PM

Don't forget your sunglasses! 8)

I know it sounds like a big DUH, but a couple of cruises ago, we're at the airport at 7am waiting for our flight and all of a sudden my friend went into a panic digging into her pocketbook, her carry-on, her jacket and then cried out S*$T !!! We all turned to her to find out what the problem was and she told us that she forgot her sunglasses. Not the best thing to leave behind...Prescription sunglasses for a Caribbean cruise!! Her cousin was meeting us but was traveling from another city so having her hit my friends place to pick up the shades was out of the question.

Here's why a pre-night can be a real trip-saver...I had to calm her down, and convince her it would be OK...I had an idea to fix the problem :idea: (she wasn't easily convinced). We landed, checked in to the hotel and then made our way to the nearest shopping mall. I figured with all malls having a Sunglass Hut, Lenscrafters or Pearle Vision...someone there had to have a sunglass clip that would at least come close to fitting her frames. Thankfully they did.

Once the frenzy was over...we had a nice laugh (at her expense, of course) but for a while...I thought she was going to pass out from being so mad at herself for forgetting them!! 8)

Hobiecat01 September 1st, 2008 11:16 AM

One of our cruise standards is a simple, plastic over-the-door clothes hanger. You can get one for a few bucks at any grocery store and fits right over the closet door. It gives you a great place to hang the clothes that you have take from the closet but have not put on yet. It wieghs next to nothing and fits in a shoe for packing. It has to be the perfect bring along item.

Paul Motter January 11th, 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyBreit (Post 1087313)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd (Post 1089136)
This list contained far too many non-essentials. I actually weighed some of the items he mentioned on my little kitchen scale (slow day :oops: )and the added poundage was not needed IMO.

Wow - I was hoping people would realize the point was to give you a list that included EVERYTHING you might need so you wouldn't forget anything. Nowhere did we say you should take everything on the list.

It's much worse to forget something essential than it is to have too much.

Paul Motter January 13th, 2012 02:42 PM

As far as essentials go...

Chargers and memory for digital cameras, medications, passport, reservation codes or tickets.

Those are the essentials you cannot leave home without. Almost anything else you can buy when you arrive.

These things should also be packed in your carry-on - never checked (except chargers are ok).