Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Beginner

Default Visa info for China cruise

My wife and I are going on the Diamond Princess for 16 days from Beijing to Bangkok. What type of Visa is needed, costs and when to purchase???
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Are you going to fly into Beijing and continue with Chinese ports and then not return to China? Then, you need just a single entry visa. Cost is $100 and is good for 90 days. Therefore, don't get too early. If you need, or would like, a two entry visa, it is good for six months and costs $100. If you want a mult-entry visa that is good for one year (two years if you are of chinese heritage), it will also cost $100 EXCEPT that China has temporarily suspended the multi-entry visa.

As you can see, all cost the same. I would normally recommend the multi-entry if you thought you might be back in the next year. However, they have been suspended.

Depending on your itinerary, request a single or dual entry visa. You can go to any Chinese Embassy or Consulate or pay a service to get your visa for you; I just went myself to the Embassy.

If you are convenient to an Embassy or Consulate, I would definitely do it yourself. Just google Chinese Embassy and you will get their location, hours, and forms that you need to fill in.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Are you going to fly into Beijing and continue with Chinese ports and then not return to China? Then, you need just a single entry visa. Cost is $100 and is good for 90 days. Therefore, don't get too early. If you need, or would like, a two entry visa, it is good for six months and costs $100. If you want a mult-entry visa that is good for one year (two years if you are of chinese heritage), it will also cost $100 EXCEPT that China has temporarily suspended the multi-entry visa.

As you can see, all cost the same. I would normally recommend the multi-entry if you thought you might be back in the next year. However, they have been suspended.

Depending on your itinerary, request a single or dual entry visa. You can go to any Chinese Embassy or Consulate or pay a service to get your visa for you; I just went myself to the Embassy.

If you are convenient to an Embassy or Consulate, I would definitely do it yourself. Just google Chinese Embassy and you will get their location, hours, and forms that you need to fill in.

We will also be stopping in Shanghai and Taiwan. Is this a factor? Thanks very much for your help!
RJ
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

No problem with many stops in China; it is just if you leave China and return. It sounds like you are heading from Beijing (Tianjin is the port) to Shanghai and then to Taiwan. Then, you would only need a single entry visa. I would check with cruise line and/or travel agent to make sure. As the cost is the same, I would probably apply for a dual entry just to be sure.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Princess will send you documentation with advice for the visas. You shouldn't apply for them prior to receiving that documentation. They laid out everything that you will need to know, lus a website where you can fill out the visa application and print it out or submit it directly to that service.

There are various services you can go through, we went directly to the Chinese Embassy in San Francisco. had the visa in two weeks. No matter what, make sure you get a multiple entrance visa(if humanly possible). You can never tell when a change of schedule might include a stop somewhere not on the itinerary.

The Chinese are quite firm about their rules and we had folks on our cruise that not allowed to get off the ship because they had been advised by their TAs on the wrong visa.