Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel

Has anyone been here recently (less than a month or two) that could tell me if all the shops have been restored at the pier? I am sure they are, but I would just like to know in advance what to expect. Thanks
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

I was there in Feb. the shops at the end of the pier seemed to be in great shape.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Cozumel has gotten a facelift, of Hollywood proportions. The town looks wonderful! The shops are now in a 2 story mall there, and easy to get around. Little areas off the street ,have pharmacies and shops, and, I just loved the whole area. My only regret is not getting one of the candy wrapper or gum wrapper, little handbags.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I was in Cozumel in February and the transformation from when I was there in 1991 was amazing. Back in 1991 they had one dock, the International Pier that all ships docked at and as far as I know the plane wreck is still underwater at that pier. The cabs were so horrid (old VW bugs, or worse-riding and pollution wise) and now they all have new/newer vans and cars. The shopping is amazing too. Back in 1991 it was pitiful! You could walk down main street and see a store and next to it was a place that had no front wall or roof. There were no stores on the beach side of the road, only on the other side that faced the water. Now, they are on both sides and it looks quite nice. Prices and goods were better priced and more Mexican back then too. You could buy three t-shirts for $10, alas, they usually lasted less than six months of average wear.

I will go back to Cozumel again. The mall attached to Punta Langosta is wonderful! I found some neat shops in there. I don't know how long Carnival will be using that pier, but I hope it is for a while because being parked in the middle of town is perfect when you love to shop!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, it seems like everytime we go to Cozumel it changes. The first time was in 2002, with just a long mall type building for shopping. In 2005 the mall wasn't as big but lots of open air shops along the pier. Now sounds even different. I can't imagine how much it must cost to keep changing the pier - but I guess when a hurricane or plane wreck occur you have to fix the broken. Thanks for the info everyone, looking forward to some "lite" shopping in 2 weeks
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I have made 5 trips to Cozumel and I took pictures each time. It is amazing to see the changes involved.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I was in Cozumel in February and the transformation from when I was there in 1991 was amazing. Back in 1991 they had one dock, the International Pier that all ships docked at and as far as I know the plane wreck is still underwater at that pier. The cabs were so horrid (old VW bugs, or worse-riding and pollution wise) and now they all have new/newer vans and cars. The shopping is amazing too. Back in 1991 it was pitiful! You could walk down main street and see a store and next to it was a place that had no front wall or roof. There were no stores on the beach side of the road, only on the other side that faced the water.
I used to go there in the 1980's. Should have seen it then. The plane was north of the pier and sunk in place for a movie.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to hightowercruises

We were in Cozumel in Feb. It all looked fine. I did not see all the damage that I had heard about. I think the only proble now is for scuba divers and snorkelers!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

They have what you need. The locals will tell you.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I want to go back soon!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't wait to get there in August. 8)
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Passenger

We visited Cozumel in late March 2008 and were there on a land vacation the day after Hurricane Dean went through last August. No damage then and definitely none this Spring Break. It is one of the most friendly, laid-back places to visit in the W. Caribbean I know. My daughter and I have been here numerous times and we both love it there. We have made friends at the Casa Mexicana hotel (great place to stay!) and the locals are so helpful.

Costa Maya is the place that people should be worried about. Hurricane Dean wiped out the new pier there and did irrepairable damage to the huge pool en El Centro and the downtown Shopping Plaza. I know they are working diligently to rebuild it and have seen Costa Maya begin to show up in itineraries for the Fall 2008.
CCL Freedom - Panama (8/2010)
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/2010)
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)

Past Sailings
Diamond Princess - Alaska Northbound (8/09)
CCL Destiny - S. Caribbean (8/08 )
Norwegian Sun - W. Caribbean (3/08 )
Norwegian Gem - Celebrity Cruise with John Legend & Bobby Flay (12/07)
Legend of the Seas - W. Caribbean (4/07)
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean (8/06)
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Just got back from a cruise including Cozumel. Instead of the long pier with the shopping gauntlet building, there was a huge new 2 story shoppng complex. Felt more like a U.S. mall than Mexico. BUt, it was right downtown, which was nice, since we were able to walk to the areas we wanted to shop in.
Apparently, though, the few Mayan ruins that were on the island got wiped out by Hurricane Dean.
Marty
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The "Mall of Cozumel" is open for business. All of your shopping needs are met within 300 yds of the pier. No need to see any other part of the island.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I've got to get to Cinco del Soles and Pancho's Backyard for my nifty lunch and FREE margarita - so guess I'll walk down there and back (providing my 2nd bionic hip - scheduled for this June 4 - works as well as my 1st one from 2/13/08). Bet all those little shops are not too happy with the new set up!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012