Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default Ladies - Makeup question

HEY GALS! I'm going on the Rome - Stockholm cruise in June. ( Paris, London, Amsterdam, Russia, etc.) I am a makeuplophile - loooove the stuff and have tons of it - loose powders/pressed powders/cakes/liquid etc etc.

I really want to pair down my case for the trip, and travel light, so which would be the best for the weather? What has been your experience with humidity/etc. in this locale? I am wondering if powder will turn cakey, or liquid too shiny....you know.....
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was in St Martin, on Labor Day, easily, the hottest day I have ever experienced. I joke that my face slid off, and landed on the sidewalk, but it was NO joke:(

I was wearing just the basics, liquid make up, blush, lipstick and eyebrow pencil...maybe, a pressed powder might have helped..

I don't think your weather will be as hot, but, I I bet you will have all you need, in your goody bag, to have, what happened to me, not happen to you. Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try one of the mineral powder lines - Bare Escentuals is one brand, but just about every cosmetic manufacturer makes them now.
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I'll make it easy. If you have any makeup that is older than 6 months, ditch it.

There was a huge article regarding low long to keep makeup and what happens if you keep it longer than 6 months with bacteria & such.
I think it was on Yahoo on their main page.

But its written pretty much anywhere on the big make-up websites.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Ohh I LOVE bare essentials, and yes while so many other brands sell mineral makeup no brand comes close to the benefits of B.E.!!! (Yes, I have tried 'em!)

BUT I dont want to wear B.E. everday, I will pack it for the formal nights, becuase well....it really does make anyone look like a supermodel. While it IS easy to use, I didn't know if another type of makeup would work best on the days that I am at port - and I want to be more natural on those days....more of a "wake up and go chic" maybe I'll just stick to my mineral veil, or the sunkissed powder for those days.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to pinklipgloss Send a message via MSN to pinklipgloss Send a message via Yahoo to pinklipgloss

Try one of the mineral powder lines - Bare Escentuals is one brand, but just about every cosmetic manufacturer makes them now.

Great idea! I was actually going to suggest the same. Bare Escentuals is very light and doesn't feel heavy or cakey like the liquid foundation. Which would be awful in humid weather.

LittleBlueStar...I have a question.
I've never worn the mineral veil alone.
I noticed at the Ulta store (ulta.com) has all of the new powders like sunkissed glow as you mentioned. I was going to purchace the set and was wondering how you like it.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Here is my experience with minereal make-up. They say that you dont have to apply it as often. Maybe its because I live in the VERY humid foothills of NC but I apply it just as often as I do my covergirl liquid powder foudation. It looks okay but no one really noticed a difference when I switched. I felt like I was shiny all the time. Also may be due to humidity. Its also very messy as everything is in the form of loose powder. I have come to like my cover girl makeup better for the simple reason that both need to be reapplied throughout the day and the liquid powder foundation is more travel friendly and doesnt get all over my clothes. The brand I used is the expensive brand Demure. My hubby talked me into it. I dont typically spend that much on beauty supplies. Its not terrible...just inconvienant especially for the high cost of this brand. I may try bare essentials tho...I wonder if its better? If your worried about humidity definately take plenty of pressed powder. Theres a good reason that southern women 'powder their noses' often.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Hey pink - Yea I love the stuff. I dont care for the regular mineral veil anymore, I go for the 'feather light' mineral veil. I think they switched formulas, when I started the M.V. was fabulous, buuuut then after a year or two I noticed I wasnt getting the *GLOW* effect anymore...too flat. So I swithed to their Feather Light M.V. and am much happier...if not a little perturbed.

I dont wear the MV alone all that often, but I like it. Gives just enough glowing-from-within effect when I'm in no mood for the whole shebang.

Humidity would do that to a gal. Hmm...never tried Demure...sounds nice! I agree with the messiness. One wrong shake and your clothes (and the bathroom sink) have a fine dust all over them...that just gets worse when you try to wipe it up. That is one reason I dont want to wear B.E. every day, but will put up with it for formal nights. It takes a little getting used to, but the mess..and the price... is definately worth it I say!

Will definatelt pack some pressed poweder!!
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ket920

do you have a foundation primer? it really helps me to keep my face on a humid day. i would think a loose powder may stick better than a pressed powder and some companies, like sephora have retractable travel brushes you can put powder in.

i, too am a makeuplophile. i easily have $1000 in cosmetics that i have bought so far this year alone. i like BE but i also LOVE benefit, prescriptives, urban decay and oh so many "high end" brands. also, the eye shadows from boots no. 7 (now available at target) seem to really stay on. i DJ at a nightclub and for nights that i am "working" i wear more makeup than usual. the boots eye shadows stay put!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Well, for the day - how about a tinted moisturizer with SPF - I sell Avon and
we have a really nice product that does both. In fact, I have been using
it already and really like the "healthy" look I get. I don't like to tan but
do like the "look".
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Captain

I recently switched to the Arbonne line and LOVE it! With any line of skin care products, it is best to use their full line since they are designed to work together. I use the primer and then the mineral powder and my makeup looks as good at 7:00 pm as it did at 7:00 am. It is kind of expensive to start out with the whole line, but, as they say on the TV "I'm worth it!"
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Admiral

One eyeliner makeup tip. I like the automatic eye pencil that twists up no need to bring a makeup sharpener. Like Clinique'sQuickliner for Eyes then I always set the liner with a dark eye shadow this prevents the liner from smudging. I have a great Bedhead eyeshadow set great for traveling. This is the kit I have I like to use that black power to set my eyeliner.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist so I get great discounts on these products. I took one of my good friends to a hair show and she loved the make up class. You can learn so much from a 1 hour class. Maybe if you claim to be a student you can get into a hair show they are a blast. Here is a link to one in Las Vegas we missed it for this year. http://www.iecsc.com/lasvegas.phpOrlando is a little far for me, so I guess I'm wait until next year. You ladies would love it check the picture.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Just go without

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Just go without
Hey, who let that guy in here?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie wants to cruise
Quote:
Just go without
He commented on the purse poll too.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Where's the "purse" poll??
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Just go without
I had been married to a woman who was pretty enough that she did not have to wear makeup. That is what I am inferring here.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Quote:
Just go without
He commented on the purse poll too.
I am versatile what can I say. 8)

Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
Where's the "purse" poll??
Here is a link I like polls. http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597028

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
One eyeliner makeup tip. I like the automatic eye pencil that twists up no need to bring a makeup sharpener. Like Clinique'sQuickliner for Eyes then I always set the liner with a dark eye shadow this prevents the liner from smudging. I have a great Bedhead eyeshadow set great for traveling. This is the kit I have I like to use that black power to set my eyeliner.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist so I get great discounts on these products. I took one of my good friends to a hair show and she loved the make up class. You can learn so much from a 1 hour class. Maybe if you claim to be a student you can get into a hair show they are a blast. Here is a link to one in Las Vegas we missed it for this year. http://www.iecsc.com/lasvegas.phpOrlando is a little far for me, so I guess I'm wait until next year. You ladies would love it check the picture.
Will adding a dark shadow to the eyeliner keep it from melting under my eyes? That is always a problem.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meercatmom
Quote:

Will adding a dark shadow to the eyeliner keep it from melting under my eyes? That is always a problem.
Yes the power "sets" the makeup. I always set my eyeline and it doesn't melt or smudge.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Katlady,
I've been meaning to ask you this for some time. Years ago, I used a foundation creme for eyelids. Went on very pale, but once dry, any shadow or liner I used stayed on forever! When I had to leave the work force, I stopped doing daily makeup and now rarely bother....live in Florida, where makeup tends to slide down...way down. Anyway, I threw all old makeup away after a while, now I can't find or even remember the name of that eye base. Would love to buy some again, for the few times that I do put on a face!
Marty
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Katlady,
I've been meaning to ask you this for some time. Years ago, I used a foundation creme for eyelids. Went on very pale, but once dry, any shadow or liner I used stayed on forever! When I had to leave the work force, I stopped doing daily makeup and now rarely bother....live in Florida, where makeup tends to slide down...way down. Anyway, I threw all old makeup away after a while, now I can't find or even remember the name of that eye base. Would love to buy some again, for the few times that I do put on a face!
Marty
Could it be
Borghese Eye Shadow Base
"Our creme eye shadow primer creates an even and smooth surface for eye shadow application. This base camouflages redness in the eye area, making an even palette for long-lasting eye looks. The first step in perfect, "bella" eyes!"
Bloomingdales sells it on line. http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...ye_Shadow_Base

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Not a brand I know, but it seems similar enough!
Thanks so much!
Marty