Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Beginner

Default Inside cabins?

I want to book our first family cruise next spring break on the Independence of the Seas. 2 boys 9(14 and11), DH and myself. What I would like to do is have connecting inside cabin rooms. Inside to help lower the price. For those of you who have stayed in inside cabins, were you satisfied with them? It would save $1,200 which could be our airfare if we didn't get a window outside cabin.

thanks

Tish
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Everyone has different opinions about what kind of cabin to get but for me getting an outside cabin with a window or porthole is not really much of an improvement over an inside cabin. They are pretty much the same. Unless you are willing to upgrade to the balcony cabin I would save the $$$ and go with the inside. 8)
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Admiral

We almost always book inside cabins. We prefer it being really dark in the cabin at night...light really bothers my DH and noise bothers me. A lot of OV cabins are not that quiet. Plus, we are both prone to seasickness and the closer you are to the center of the ship and the lower down you are, the less motion there is. And those happen to usually be the cheapest cabins. And, as said above, unless you opt for balcony, there is not much difference between inside and outside. Only drawback is that you don't know if it is raining until you are already out and about. Plus, you can't brag about your cabin being crme de la creme!
Marty
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Passenger

I have to agree with color crazie, not too much difference unless it's a balcony, and, how much time will you spend in the cabin..... not much. The boys will want to be around the ship, the pool, or the kid clubs, or off the ship in ports. I take a balcony now, because my husband is not well, and he likes to sit outside, but doesn't find it easy to walk back and forth around the ship. The balcomies are great for us, but when we were younger, we always took and inside cabin for the economy. have fun.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old May 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Admiral

You only spend time in your cabin to sleep anyway so get the inside and save the dough.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

I agree 100% with the others. Take the inside and spend the extra money on something else if you wish. Inside cabins are super IMO, as they are dark in the daytime, and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I can take a nap in the afternoon, and enjoy all the evening activities. You can sleep in if you wish, as the morning light isn't streaming in, and the cabin isn't all that different from any of the others, except a suite. Take the inside, and ENJOY!

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Save your money for other things! Inside cabins are fine!
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Captain

Ditto I have always had an inside cabin They are perfectly fine and you will save money. Agree with the otheres that if you go outside get a balcony.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree to - either inside or a balcony. If you do the balcony, put the boys directly across the hall in an inside.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Captain

Except for my upcoming Honeymoon cruise (for obvious reasons) I always book inside.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Admiral

I always go inside. The cabin is not important to me as long as I am on the ship. I will also continue to cruise inside.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Captain

We've always booked an OV or balcony . . . but if it means going more often we may scale back a bit . . . thinking of booking an inside for the next trip.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have to wonder if you have looked at getting a slightly larger balcony cabin that can occupy four people. Your two kids will cruise for less and you will save a lot of money there. I do not agree with people who say you don't spend a lot of time in your cabin, I spend a fair bit of time and the balcony comes in very handy when I want peace and quiet. I worked in a windowless basement and an inside cabin would feel like that, even though it's on a cruiseship!!!!!!

Imagine not being able to sleep and being in inside room--it'd be boring. Now imagine not being able to sleep and being in a balcony cabin--go sit on the balcony and enjoy the fresh air and view. Imagine waking up at 5am on a port day and you can't sleep. Don't plan on anything being ready on lido deck, but you have a balcony to sit on and watch the sail in to the port that day...I know, I was up at 5am and watched is travel from the East end of Grand Cayman all the way to West end to where we anchored....a balcony is a wonderful thing....

Now if your thinking of how much money it costs, I cruise solo, so I pay 200% of the cruise fare. It isn't cheap, but it is memorable!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Have you looked into the family cabins?? They are larger - some with balconies or at least nice large windows - don't you think the boys, especailly, would love to watch the ship come in and leave port from the
balcony?? JMO. Balconies add sooooo much to the crusing experience- at least for us.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to wehearttravel
Default inside vs oceanview

Hi,

I'm going to be the lone one out here. We spend time in our cabin too and cannot do inside cabins due to the "closed in" feeling.

We have always booked oceanview cabins. Last year, my sis in law, mom in law and father in law booked an inside cabin to save money and because they didnt know how my father in law would like being on the water. They HATED IT!! It was cramped and small.

They came up to our room and saw how spacious it was and wanted to change but it was too late.

Sure, there were 3 adults in the room and in your case it would be 2 per room but I would see how much better it would be to get all of you in 1 room with a porthole or window. I also agree with the other option of you and your husband getting the oceanview room and giving your sons the inside cabin across the hall.

That way, you get the best of both worlds and will truly see what you can and can't manage with.

My in laws are traveling with us in 2 weeks and they have booked an adjoining oceanview room with me, my husband and my son. I think they will be quite happy with the arrangement this year.

Good luck to you. I know money is a question, as it is with most of us, but you don't want to let a little bit of a savings have a big impact on your comfort for the time that you are on the ship.

Angela
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Passenger

We booked our cruise with 2 other couples. They went ahead and splurged for the balcony, but we decided to save the money and do an inside cabin so we can have more money for souvenirs and excursions. Booking an inside cabin vs balcony saved us 500 dollars between the two of us. Arent there some inside cabins that hold 4? With two small boys, its not like they'd be hogging the bathroom. If you had two teenage girls, id say get two rooms. My guess is that the only time you'll be spending in your room is when your changing clothes, and sleeping, otherwise you'll be on the deck somewhere. If you need adult time with your hubby, send your kids to camp carnival for a few hours. I personally would rather have the extra money for excursions, I think those make the trip more memorable than how nice the cabin was.
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The one thng everyone mentions is your going to spend more time on deck. I have to ask you, what if the ship is sailing at full double+ more capacity. I have done this three times now and finding ANY space on deck is difficult to impossible. You can find deck chairs, at the very back of the ship as far away from the action, which isn't good if you want to be in the heart of the action on Lido deck. I found it hard to find a table to eat breakfast or lunch on Lido when the ship has 3000+ passengers.

Telling someone you'll spend more time on deck is not a true statement. How can you tell how they handle the heat? Will they be able to take the hot, intense sun or will they wilt like a flower on a hut summer day in a drought? I can see people booking an inside cabin because they get motion sickness and getting a balcony/OV makes it worse, OK, understandable.

The sun is so hot and intense I tend to spend more time in the sun on a shore excursion than I do at sea. I may be outside for the activities, but I don't/can't sit for hours and sit in the sun--I burn in an hour with SPF 30 sunblock on! I generally hang out in the cabin for a good two hours+ at a time on port day (the sun saps my energy) and about that at sea. I'll go RnR on the balcony and get some energy back!!!!

I love the sun and warm weather, however, it doesn't love me back....I'm hoping we can come to a happy compromise...In the meantime, a balcony is what I take. Considering where I live and that I cruise solo, cost to me is nothing, comfort is everything...I only get 4 weeks holidays a year and generally take two weeks off at a time, so I have enough for two cruises a year...except next year I'm doing three!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Admiral

what about the inside that has a window overlooking the royal promenade
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Well, that's a possible choice but I understand the cabins are rather small and cramped with very little storage space. Be sure to draw your curtains
unless you want to put on a "show".

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Unless you are lucky enough to be able to say "cost to me is nothing", go with your budget. Some people feel that a balcony is a necessity. It's not. It's a luxury. Cruises are a luxury which many people never get to experience. None of us are "entitled" to extra goodies in life. Many people works their butts off and are grateful to have vacation days where they just don't have to get up when the alarm clock goes off. Nobody gets what they "deserve" in life, good or bad.
Okay, end of rant!
:evil:
Marty
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

We tried an interior cabin ONCE and that was the last time. It was far too small for me. I was able to stand between the beds and stretch my arms out to the side and there was only about 3-4 inches room to either of the walls. It felt far too cramped for us.

We like to have a balcony for a couple of reasons...1) a quiet breakfast on the balcony - especially days when we're at a port...there are far too many people all at once at Windjammer trying to have b'fast before getting off the ship. 2) a nice place to relax after a day in port when we get back to the cabin. Don't get me wrong...we love to be out on deck but when one of us is getting ready for the evening, the other can hit the balcony.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Passenger

I had each type, window, balcony and inside. I will have an inside for the second time in 11 days.

We prefer the inside. I didn't feel as if I got my "moneys worth" out of the balcony. JMO.

I would probably not choose a balcony again, I'd rather spend the extra money on everything else ---DRINKS----SHHHHH!!
2008-Carnival Victory-NE/Canada
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have done balcony and tried inside cabin once. We were not happy and if you go on vacation you should be happy. We won't do an inside again. Having said that our friends always take an inside cabin and love it and love saving a few extra dollars. Really is personal choice. If you need your windows open and lots of light coming in the house when you are home, you might not enjoy the inside cabin. On one of the boards it was mentioned to turn on the tv without sound, keep it on the "bridge view" so when you get up during the night you will know if it is daylight.
Nona
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Both cruises we have done were inside cabins. They are not bad, especially for that afternoon nap to be rested for evening activities. I, personally wouldn't want a room with bunks for the children because it would definetly cramp ones love life during the cruise

I do not know if there are rooms with doors between though, you would have to ask your t/a about that.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old September 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I disagree, I could never take an inside cabin. I'd rather wait and save my money for at least an ocean view, preferably a balcony.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10