Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Default Travel agent question

It has been so long since I've used a travel agent, but I feel the need to do so for our first cruise. I contacted one and she is checking on connecting rooms for me for the ship I want.

However, what other services, things, etc. should she be informing me about. There are so many things I already know from the internet and sites like this...but it just seems that she should be giving me advice step by step. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Admiral

My personal experience has been that travel agents in general no longer provide much service beyond what is needed to get your booking. They simply don't make as much commission as they used to and have to make for it by volume of customers. Trying to get one to even look up alternative dates is regarded as out of the question. Of course, a lot of info is readily available via internet, so I do my own research first....a lot of it....then call our agent.
Marty
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't expecting too much or that I just had a dud agent.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Make sure they ask and request the dining arrangements you prefer. They won't be able to absolutely guarantee what you request, but at least they should make the line aware of your preference.
They should also ask if you qualify for any discounts,,ie: past guest, military, interline, state of residence, senior citizen, etc.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

They should at least go over all the different cabin arrangements, dining options, special occassions, and transfer info.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They should ask you things like your arrangements to get to the ship, do you need transfers? they will help you select a cabin, and they will deliver your documents to you.

They are also good to have should anything go wrong during the cruise.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Like everything, you need to be pro active. If I was a first time cruiser, I would expect to be walked through the process. If you feel you are not getting what you need..mention it..Anything we can help you, just ask.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Passenger

Additional fees, such as tipping! There are also spa services, specialty restaurants, etc.....
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Make sure you have the proper travel documents (passport preferably) so there won't be any chance of not being allowed to board the ship. There was a poster who missed their anniversay cruise because they were told at the pier they didn't have the proper copy of their birth certificates.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Well, I like to deal with a travel agency that only does cruises like
Cruise Planners out of North Carolina. They really know their stuff and
are very accommodating. We are using them now for the third time.
Also, ask if any of the agents have sailed on the cruise line you are looking at. Nothing like personal experience and recommendations.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Good suggestions from everyone....you can also ask if they have onboard coupon books good for discounted alcoholic beverages, photos, etc.

Your T.A. has a wealth of knowledge, also look on the Cruisemates home page for lots of information for first time cruisers. She should be walking you through every step of the process. The most important things for me (other than a fair price), is location of my stateroom and dining time. Once she has stateroom information, go to the cruise line's web page and check out the deck plans...you do not have to accept the staterooms she suggests if you do not like their location...have alternatives ready for her to check availability.

Another minor thing I request is a stateroom on the Port side if I sail to the eastern Caribbean and a stateroom on the Starboard side when sailing to the western Caribbean. I know, I know, I'm a weirdo.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Beginner

A good TA should always ask if their clients are past passengers, military, teachers, union members, over 55, etc. in order to get the best rate when calling the cruise lines.

They also should be qualifying the client and finding out if their dates of travel are flexible, explain the cabin categories, find out if they need air, transfers, hotel, insurance, etc.

They should be checking to see if one date might be less expensive than another, or research a couple of different cabin categories to give you options.

Your TA is one that should believe in service AFTER the sale!! There is so much after the booking that the client still might need, and that is the reason why TA's should be in business.

Your TA should be giving you information about documents, shore excursions, online registration, checking for upgrades, etc. and on top of that, offering to help you with those things.

A good TA is also available 7 nights and evenings...it's the service they're providing that is what you're looking for. They also should honor lower prices if a client has found them elsewhere.