Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Crowded Ports

What port have you sailed to, that was so overcrowded with passengers, that you wished you had stayed onboard? I know in St Thomas, the goverment will shut down the main street to cars, when many ships are in. When I resarched an article for CM, I think the highest ship count in for St Thomas was 12. For, me this was the most crowed I have I have been to.

I know for many people who have been to the Caribbean, numerous times, sometimes, they just opt to stay onboard. New cruisers wanting to get off, may find some islands quite crowded. More so, when the Oasis Class ships start sailing with soooo many more passengers!

A friend off the Freedom ta, and, summering in Italy, told me just how crowded everything was there as well.

What port have you sailed to, where the amount of people was just overwhelming? Being a toursist, I guess we're all in the same boat. pun intended:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I find Cozumel to be crowded at times, even with the two ports operating...Of course, I think we've all been stuck in the St.
Thomas traffic often enough. It was never anything terrible, but would of been nicer if fewer cruisers running around.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Grand Cayman is not a huge island, and when six ships are in port it is quite crowded. I was there in February when two monster RCI ships, two Carinval (Victory/Conquest), Century, and Oceana were in port. I roughly calculated that there was anywhere from 18000-20000 people on those six ships, and that is a lot of people to disembark and let loose....

The most ships in port I have been with is six ships. I can't imagine what 12 ships in port at once is like...If I was in St. Thomas when that many ships were in port I'd do a quick shopping run at the nearest place and then go back to the ship, or not get off at all..

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

On the CM Cruisemates Century cruise, in Grand Cayman, we too had 6/7 ships in..The flotilla in port was wonderful to see, but, since I was ill that day, I was in my cabin, but heard it was shoulder to shoulder in port that day!

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Admiral

San Juan

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Grand Cayman is very crowded when there's more than 3 ships. The streets are narrow,traffic is running all day and people are everywhere.
MTL
Old June 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman, Cozumel (which used to be my favorite) and even sadder, Key West. Last time I was there, they had 4 mega sized ships plus 10,000 sailoirs on shore leave. Complete chaos.
Marty
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Captain

My vote has to be Grand Cayman. The last time we were there it was a nightmare getting back to the ship. I can't remember exactly how many ships were there but more than I'd ever seen. We had to wait for almost an hour for the tenders to take us back to the ship.
St. Thomas is bad when lots of ships in port. The most we've encountered has been 4 ships.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Admiral

One cruise, we had to port on the other side of Grand Cayman. I wonder if the seas on both sides of the island were calm, why they don't allow some ships to go over to the other side.....

The town would be just as busy, but the tendering & crowds would be less. the only difference would be, a bus needed to take passengers across the island...not a long ride.

Old June 8th, 2008, 12:33 AM
First Mate

Nassau, Bahamas is wretched with 6 or so ships in. Also have experienced too many ships on St. Thomas. 'Taxi' travel down the main drag is a joke. At one point I jumped off the back of the truck-style conveyance, picked up a souvenir hat someone had lost then walked along side and stepped back on. It is just that slow. Cozumel at least has the two docks, and sometimes a tender going as well. I think this is one reason I don't care to try the mega ships....too many people unloading in port.
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

I agree with Misguidedangel about Grand Caymen. I was there in February as well, and there were six total ships, 2 Royal Caribbean, 2 Carnival, 1 Celebrity, and one other that I can't remember. We had booked an excursion but ended up cancelling. I wanted to shop for jewelry, but you could barely move in those shops. I recommend booking an excursion or staying on the ship unless you are a serious shopaholic!