Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Captain

Default Why is Royal Caribbean so much more expensive

I was just pricing cruises and it seems that Royal Caribbean is one of the most expensive lines. It was at least $200 more per person than Princess or Holand. Why is that. I cruised on Royal Caribbean a few years ago and it didn't seem to be that way. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention. Any answers? I'm cruising on Princess in October and hope it will be a good as Royal Caribbean was.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why is Royal Caribbean so much more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhearty1
I was just pricing cruises and it seems that Royal Caribbean is one of the most expensive lines. It was at least $200 more per person than Princess or Holand. Why is that. I cruised on Royal Caribbean a few years ago and it didn't seem to be that way. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention. Any answers? I'm cruising on Princess in October and hope it will be a good as Royal Caribbean was.
You have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Itineraries are rarely exactly the same, and thus port charges and taxes are different. You also need to compare ship size, length of cruise, time of year cruising, and cabin. RCI does cost more for the newer ships, so it's hard to compare exact cruiseline to cruiseline.

Also, the revenue management department of the various cruiselines will adjust prices based on inventory left to sell and time left until the cruise date. So if you check the same cruises again at a later date, prices may change.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise on Princess.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The ships they are building are monstrosities of the sea. They are simply too big, and now they want to build a 200+ tonne ship (Oasis of the Sea...). That monster would cost close to close to a billion dollars to build.

I'll stick to Carnival and their megaliners...the Dream will be big, but not huge!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Admiral

I tend to agree with "misguided". RCI has gotten out of hand with their pricing, and I don't care which "size" ship you price, it'll be considerably more expensive than most any of the others. I have lots and lots of cruises on RCI, (formally RCL) and love their smaller ships, but I no longer even consider them, as the price is prohibitive. I guess RCI figures that they have enough "faithful" customers who will sail them no matter what, that they can build their 200 ton barge on their backs. No thanks!

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Royal prices are getting high. I had to search high and far until I found a decent price on a repositioning cruise. When I added up how many nights the cruise was and what my cabin costs the price was reasonalbel. Now I have to find a decent airfare to get me to the port.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Admiral

jhearty1 I have noticed the Freedom of the Seas, Indepenance (sp?) of the Seas, and the Liberty of the Seas are more expensive. This is because they have: ice rink (and ice shows), rock climbing wall, and Flow rider. Holland and Princess do not have these things on board. If these are not important to you than it's not worth the additional cost. Some people cruise for the ports and other people cruise for the ship. I enjoyed Princess when I was on her, but that was about 5 years ago.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Last September while waiting for the flight home we were talking to a father/daughter and another family who were on the Liberty of the Seas. They all had a good time, but the one comment they all had was the feature attractions on the ship, like the ice show, was nearly impossible to get in to see. They didn't always do two shows a night and when they did have a show people started to line up well over 90 minutes in advance to get in. The two families in question tried for five nights to get in to see a show and finally got in on the last night and said it was interesting but wasn't worth waiting 90 minutes in line for. The theater also only sat a very small number, which meant majority of the people didn't get to see the show at all!!!!

The other sporting activities were good, but they said that if they went again they wouldn't necessarily go on a ship with all the attractions because it wasn't always easy to get time to enjoy it. The flowrider was constantly busy and everyone was limited to how much time they got. One of the ladies was able to try it, but said if she wanted to stay longer she'd have to go to the back of the line and wait all over again....

Sporting activities like that do nothing for me, so the chances are slim that I will go with them, unless I win it all expenses paid (air included)....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Yep Royal has higher rates

Misguided That is weird what that couple has told you. I had no problems getting into shows and never had to wait 90 minutes. Always saw the ice show too.

The Flowrider can have 20 minute wait times and when your turn is over you have to go on line again it is only fair that way.

If one is not into ice skating, rock climbing, surfing etc or Royal is not in the budget then other cruiselines might work.

Enjoy your cruise on Princess.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Never once have I ever had to wait to get into a show. I've showed up a little late and had to take an upper deck seat, but never a line or a wait. Never had trouble getting into an ice show either.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Captain

I think I'm too old to rock climb, might brake something so guess I'm good with princess . I just want to enjoy it as much as I did on Royal.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas