Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Default Remember to pack your Common Sense before you leave.

After living in touristy areas and being a tourist myself, please pack your common sense and remember certain things. This is in noway ment to be mean....just observations of what people forget.

-Crime happens everywhere, even on vacation.
-Traffic happens most everywhere...just a part of life.
-Not everyone who lives in tourist areas work in tourist industry
- we need to get to work and are not on vaction time, so don't expect people to serve you
- we like fast food for lunch just like you do, so don't say it has become AMERICANIZED
-Don't get mad when people rush by you or blow a horn for you to get out the way...we go stuff to do
-If there are to many people at the airport or to many cruise ships in, don't get mad.. they are there just like you. Cruise Lines and Airlines dictate the schedule not the town or port.
-Americans shouldn't expect special priviledges in foreign countries or ports. (I am American) We are just like everyone else. Wait your turn in line.
-When you go snorkeling, put sunblock on the back of your thigh and calfs.
-Look both ways before you cross the street, not every country or territory drives on the right side of the road.
-Smile.... cruiseship, airline workers, hotel workers, etc. appreciate it.

---more to come, add yours.
-
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Admiral

I would also add if you are going to a foreign country understand the culture. What is "rude" here may not be in the country you are going to. What is normal here may be "rude" where you are going.
For example: what hand do you use to shake hands? Also in some cultures showing the bottoms of your feet is "rude".

Always be respectful of the country you are visiting and you will have a great time.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to bassnote_1 Send a message via Yahoo to bassnote_1

Speaking Louder or Shouting will not help a non-English speaker understand you any better. Embarrassingly, I've only witnessed fellow Americans do this.

Learn a bit of the language before you go to a "foreign" country.

2/2005 - Splendour of the Seas
2/2008 - Grandeur of the Seas
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Don't be offended or baffled that the local cab driver, especially one outside the Caribbean, won't accept American dollars. Would a New York cab driver accept Chinese Yuan? Ask before buying or paying.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Vacation mode, is something I think we are all guilty of sometimes, Because we are on vacation we just think that, everyone around us, is as well.

When we were in Caracas, we were told to leave all our jewelry on the ship, as not to be conspicuous, to the population. One woman on the tour, came dripping in gold..a perfect example of going against the grain, with a, I will do what I want, wherever I want attitude:( If anyone was a target, it would have been her.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I would also suggest bringing common courtesy (sp?) with you--remember your please, and thank you's!!!!!

You also have to remember you are in a foreign land and are subject to their laws. If you commit a crime you follow their laws and that may mean jail time. As for getting help from your government while you are a guest, don't think they'll be able to spring you, oh no. They will make sure you're treated fair, get info to your family, get you legal help, and be there if you need them, but they will not be able to get you off the hook if you commit a crime!!!!

Treat everyone the way you want to be treated and everything will be fine!!!! Treat the locals badly and they will treat you the same way.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

And, not all countries will get you legal help or treat you fairly if you commit a crime. So....DON'T.

Had a friend who stupidly bought a joint in Jamaica. He spent weeks in the most hellish jail you can imagine and it cost his dad a trip down there plus thousands for bail money. SOme countries will arrest "wealthy" Americans for the sole purpose of trying to get money out of us. Not all are bad, by any means and the people are usually just people, anywhere you go, but a couple of corrupt officials and you are in a lot more trouble than you would be in here in the U.S.

Marty
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Captain

That old do unto others as you would have them do unto you usually works!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96