CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   upper deck vs main deck (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/352477-upper-deck-vs-main-deck.html)

4myhuny June 19th, 2008 05:44 PM

upper deck vs main deck

Hi everyone, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I spoke with someone at Carnival today about booking a cruise. She told me that she would reccomend the Upper deck over the Main deck for quiteness and smothness of ride. I know it cost more so I'm hoping she's not just trying to make a bigger sale. Would you more experienced cruisers agree? And the cost is only 30 more pp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CA Cruiser June 19th, 2008 05:51 PM

She could be correct. You didn't mention which ship but if you look at some of the ship's deck plans, the Lobby deck is right above the Main Deck and yes it can be noisy with the galley, stores and misc above you. I always recommend choosing a cabin between passenger decks only for quiet. Go to the Carnival website and check which ship you are thinking about. My sister was below the galley once and never got any sleep.

4myhuny June 19th, 2008 05:57 PM

Carnival Fascination

We'll be on the Fascination. It's between two "sleeping" decks.

NanaShrek June 19th, 2008 08:00 PM

Upper deck is better and $30 extra is worth every penny! We were on NCL Pearl on the lowest deck. It happens to be where their gangway is. Port days were not fun getting in and out of our cabin or using the elevators/stairs because the people congregated there waiting to get off the ship.

Also consider what is near your cabin. We had one on Carnival next to a crew service area (blank space on the deckplan). The metal carts banged around all night and disrupted my sleep.

Now I look for cabins in between other cabins and on a deck between other passenger decks. I like to get cabins towards the aft of the ship. If you go far enough back, there's little foot traffic by the cabin. Some people worry about extra motion there. It never bothers me!

CA Cruiser June 19th, 2008 08:21 PM

I looked at the deck plans and IMHO, I see no difference in cabins. We had a cabin on the Main deck on the former Jubilee twice and it was a great location. I would save the $30 each and use it towards drinks, excursions, etc. Again, just MHO. Enjoy!

ScurvyDog June 19th, 2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
I looked at the deck plans and IMHO, I see no difference in cabins. We had a cabin on the Main deck on the former Jubilee twice and it was a great location. I would save the $30 each and use it towards drinks, excursions, etc. Again, just MHO. Enjoy!

I agree, on this ship save the money. 8)

skymaster June 20th, 2008 10:14 AM

I too agree that you should take a mid-ship cabin on Main deck, and spend the extra money on goodies for yourself. I'd bet you won't find a nickels worth of difference between Main and Upper on this ship.
Have a GREAT cruise.

Ken
"Sky"