Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Default upper deck vs main deck

Hi everyone, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I spoke with someone at Carnival today about booking a cruise. She told me that she would reccomend the Upper deck over the Main deck for quiteness and smothness of ride. I know it cost more so I'm hoping she's not just trying to make a bigger sale. Would you more experienced cruisers agree? And the cost is only 30 more pp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

She could be correct. You didn't mention which ship but if you look at some of the ship's deck plans, the Lobby deck is right above the Main Deck and yes it can be noisy with the galley, stores and misc above you. I always recommend choosing a cabin between passenger decks only for quiet. Go to the Carnival website and check which ship you are thinking about. My sister was below the galley once and never got any sleep.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Fascination

We'll be on the Fascination. It's between two "sleeping" decks.
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Upper deck is better and $30 extra is worth every penny! We were on NCL Pearl on the lowest deck. It happens to be where their gangway is. Port days were not fun getting in and out of our cabin or using the elevators/stairs because the people congregated there waiting to get off the ship.

Also consider what is near your cabin. We had one on Carnival next to a crew service area (blank space on the deckplan). The metal carts banged around all night and disrupted my sleep.

Now I look for cabins in between other cabins and on a deck between other passenger decks. I like to get cabins towards the aft of the ship. If you go far enough back, there's little foot traffic by the cabin. Some people worry about extra motion there. It never bothers me!
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Admiral

I looked at the deck plans and IMHO, I see no difference in cabins. We had a cabin on the Main deck on the former Jubilee twice and it was a great location. I would save the $30 each and use it towards drinks, excursions, etc. Again, just MHO. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
I looked at the deck plans and IMHO, I see no difference in cabins. We had a cabin on the Main deck on the former Jubilee twice and it was a great location. I would save the $30 each and use it towards drinks, excursions, etc. Again, just MHO. Enjoy!
I agree, on this ship save the money. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I too agree that you should take a mid-ship cabin on Main deck, and spend the extra money on goodies for yourself. I'd bet you won't find a nickels worth of difference between Main and Upper on this ship.
Have a GREAT cruise.

Ken
"Sky"