Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

View Poll Results: Where Have You Cruised?
Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal 15 55.56%
North America (add Alaska, Canada, Bermuda) 5 18.52%
North America and Europe (including Trans-Atl) 1 3.70%
North America, Europe, and South America 1 3.70%
The World 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Default CruiseMates Cruising Experience

Just a short poll to see the cruising background of the CruiseMates community.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Only one thing wrong with the poll. I have cruised Alaska, Mexico, and has a Transaltantic cruise so were do I put the X? I decided on Alaska that was a great place to cruise to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Admiral

oops I'm a goofy ball I should have put North America and Europe (including Trans-Atl). I think I need more coffee.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I needed a combo button. Can't claim the "world" yet, but definitely more than one category.
Marty
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Marc, I needed a combo button also.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I meant "the world" to mean that you have sailed more than just North America, South America, and Europe. This means Pacific and Asia. Of course, the poll is screwed up as I didn't include Hawaii in North America and many people have cruised to French Polynesia as their sole trip outside of North America. If the poll would allow multiple answers, I could have just listed regions and repsondents could have clicked as many as they want. However, my hypothesis is that most people on this site have only cruised North America; I would like to see if that is correct.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Although I have not cruised the world, I could only put one X in, so the results aren't really true, unless we just vote more than once??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Familiar Face

Your poll as written is really useless. And what is the point?
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid789
The point is that the predominance of those that answered the poll cruise in North American waters only. Nothing truly surprising. All you have to do is visit the Asia or Australia boards to see very few posts. You can read the boards for the luxury cruise lines and see very few posts. I was just trying to verify my hypothesis that most people frequenting these boards only cruise close to home. Given only 12 respondents (out of 34,000 members), it is hard to prove or disprove any hypothesis. I think the poll as written, if enough would vote, can provide an assessment of just this simple question.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It may not be perfect but it isn't useless by any means.

In any case, I once asked how many readers (in another area of our boards) had been on a cruise in Europe and I was surprise to find the number pretty low.

These results look more encouraging. I chose option number 4 only because I thought you meant "world cruise" by "world"

I often encourage people to think of cruising as a way to travel in Europe, Asia and South America. I am not in the "the ship is the destination" camp.

But for many people who mostly only cruise in the Caribbean the ship is the destination (or at least the most important one). For me, I love cruise ships as a way to see the world, especially Europe.
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Admiral

I have stayed in the North American hemisphere because of the expenses involved in other areas, and the self perception that travel for AMericans is not safe in a lot of the areas of the globe.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid789
The point is that the predominance of those that answered the poll cruise in North American waters only. Nothing truly surprising. All you have to do is visit the Asia or Australia boards to see very few posts. You can read the boards for the luxury cruise lines and see very few posts. I was just trying to verify my hypothesis that most people frequenting these boards only cruise close to home. Given only 12 respondents (out of 34,000 members), it is hard to prove or disprove any hypothesis. I think the poll as written, if enough would vote, can provide an assessment of just this simple question.
Some of us are broke. We would love to visit Asia and Australia however, it's cost prohibitive. Same thing applies to luxury cruise lines. If the question is who would like to cruise Aisa and Australia I'm guessing your results would be quite different.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Marc,
You live in Asia. I would love to cruise there, so any time you want to pay my flight from SW Florida, I'll be happy to cruise the Pacific rim or anywhere "over there". We love Asian decor, food, etc. and would love to see the culture firsthand.

Marty
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I put myself in the World camp. My wife and I try to cruise to places where we "haven't" been before even though we would go back to a number of places again.

There are still a lot of places left to cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me