Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Default Baltic Cruise - Currency

We are heading out for a Baltic cruise. Do they all except Euros? Do any accept USD? I assume credit cards are the best. What about ATM?

Thanks - you guys are the best!

Joe-Cat
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Admiral

The Eurozone has 15 European Union member states. Here they are:
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, and Spain. Certain states outside the EU have adopted the euro as their currency. For formal adoption, including the right to mint their own coins, a monetary agreement must be concluded. Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, Mayotte, Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City. Montenegro and Kosovo have also used the euro since its launch. Kosovo also still uses the Serbian dinar.

It depends on what fees your credit card charges. In italy we found the best exchange rate/fees using an ATM and the worst going into the bank in Rome.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In other words, most Baltic states do NOT use the Euro. Russia has rubles, Poland has (something), the Scandinavian countries have their own currencies.

Most of the countries will accept Euros, however. They used to accept dollars as readily, but now you will get "the look" and a maybe yes or no.

For expensive purchases a credit card is always handy, for small purchases go to an ATM and get cash. Most merchants that take dollars will give you change in local currency, unless they really cater to the tourist market. However, since many merchants take dollars and prefer local currency, sometimes the best way to get dollars back is through a local merchant. Maybe they have dollars they took in and would rather have the local currency. You have the local currency and want dollars because you are leaving the country. Sometimes they will trade you.

Only paper money will be exchanged, no coins.

Do not count on being able to get dollars back for any currency through a US bank. The fees will kill you.
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Euros, dollars and Visa will all work. shopkeepers in Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen will all know the rate of exchange. Credit cards are best because you don't wind up with a lot of foreign currency to exchange when you get home. (IMHO)

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I lived in Russia for 2 years and while I was there, US dollars were the only thing accepted other than Rubles... right after I left, they made it illeagal to purchase anything in anything but Rubles. there are little kiosks where you can exchange US dollars and they usually have the rate posted (if that is still allowed) on a hand written paper... US singles will always work for tips though.

The further from the Ship and major hotels (even a block), the better the exchange rate (and prices) usually. i would find a Russian or Ukrainian waitress or stewart on board for the best advice... a few dollars extra tip to him/her may save you a bundle on souveniers, tours and food!
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Baltic Cruise - Currency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Cat
We are heading out for a Baltic cruise. Do they all except Euros? Do any accept USD? I assume credit cards are the best. What about ATM?

Joe-Cat
Euros are the currency of Germany and Finland. There were ATMs at each port: Warnemunde and Helsinki. The ship also would convert dollars to Euros but for a fee that was far higher than the ATM fee.

In Stockholm and Copenhagen we there were banks near the port and we just asked where the nearest bank was and stopped there for to obtain Kroners. Never get more than you think you will need for the day. We obtained around $75 at a time.

In Russia (St. Petersburg) there is an ATM at the port entrance, on the right side, as you leave. It is on the outside part of the checkpoint. You can obtain rubles there. You can use dollars at the different kiosks near the Hermitage and Tsar's palace but the currency needs to be in very good shape or they won't take it.

For the most part I would use ATMs for small "walking around money" and use your credit card for most purchases.

Also, MANY taxi cabs and public transportation do not take dollars so, if you don't have local currency, be prepared to go through a few taxis until you find one that does.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Baltic Cruise - Currency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Cat

Joe-Cat
Euros are the currency of Germany and Finland. There were ATMs at each port: Warnemunde and Helsinki. The ship also would convert dollars to Euros but for a fee that was far higher than the ATM fee.

In Stockholm and Copenhagen we there were banks near the port and we just asked where the nearest bank was and stopped there for to obtain Kroners. Never get more than you think you will need for the day. We obtained around $75 at a time. We did find that most places would take Euros.

In Russia (St. Petersburg) there is an ATM at the port entrance, on the right side, as you leave. It is on the outside part of the checkpoint. You can obtain rubles there. You can use dollars at the different kiosks near the Hermitage and Tsar's palace but the currency needs to be in very good shape or they won't take it.

For the most part I would use ATMs for small "walking around money" and use your credit card for most purchases.

Also, MANY taxi cabs and public transportation do not take dollars so, if you don't have local currency, be prepared to go through a few taxis until you find one that does.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

ATMs in St Petersburg?!? Boy, things have changed since I worked there! It is true though, if you don't have the 'latest' and best US currency, many places worn't take it.. but still be careful and take small bills.