Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Passenger

I work 3 blocks from the Sotherby's HQ in NYC. They conduct their auctions a little different than Park West. We attend the pre auction spiel's on board as they do offer some true facts about the different artists, look at the works they are offering, find what we like, hit the net and buy prints if available. We collect for looks not value
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Thanks for sharing this with us, such informations are hard to find.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Beginner

Hi, Paul; If you watch the video closely, you will see that the Dali was not sold; it was passed. The auctioneer's hand motion toward his chest means that he is taking the bid for the house. This piece remained the property of Park West.
The reason I know this is that I am a former Park West auctioneer. I served a six-month contract on three different ships. I am also a Virginia licensed auctioneer and certified personal property appraiser. I auctioneered for years prior to accepting a PW assignment. I am no longer with Park West and owe them no allegiance; however, the mis-information that is attached to articles and postings about PW is unfair to PW and to PW customers. I have only read the first part of these postings, but in the first part alone I found 7 errors. I would like to point them out.
For starters, Fine Art Registry and Park West have been embroiled in suits and counter-suits for years. Only their lawyers are getting rich off of this situation. Most of the bad press that PW has received originated with FAR, and the FAR article is not to be trusted; it is full of errors and misrepresentations. The points I have trouble with are these: #2, "no preview of contract". The terms of the auction are printed on the bid card, and it is explained prior to every auction that these terms constitute the terms of sale. #7, regarding the credit card application, is completely wrong. Filling out the credit application is not required to bid, and there are no surprise charges put on a card. A credit card slip has to be signed by the purchaser. #8, extra charges. All charges are explained at the beginning of the auction, are printed on the bid card, and reviewed when the purchaser is asked to sign the invoice. Generally, people are not so stupid as to offer their credit information and sign an invoice blindly. Regarding sales tax: it only applies to Florida and Michigan residents, because PW has facilities there. The handling fee: is actually 1% of the purchase price, and provides in-transit insurance for the full amount of the purchase. Regarding framing, some works have framing included in the price, and others don't. Framing rules are written on the bid card and explained at the beginning of the auction. Shipping & handling will vary according to where the purchaser lives. In my time as an auctioneer I shipped art all over the world. PW uses Fed Ex and UPS. Last time I checked, neither of these companies shipped anything for free. PW auctioneers offering artwork as an investment are subject to fines and termination by PW for doing so. Every one of my auctions was videotaped and sent to the compliance department of PW and the cruise line for review. Mis-statements by an auctioneer are subject to warnings, fines, or termination. If state-licensed auctioneers were subjected to similar scrutiny, paying fines would become a regular overhead expense for auctioneers.
I will continue to read the rest of this thread, and may post again. I am at your service to offer more comments about cruise ship auctions. My credentials can be found at Wayne Jordan Auction & Appraisals- Liquidation and Valuation solutions for estates, retailers, and van lines
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Cool It's about time

Neither Parrot Pop nor I are gamblers or big drinkers on cruise ships, but we discovered the Park West Art Auctions many years ago and found for a nominal price we could buy a "souvenier" of our cruise. First.. I've seen the Dali pieces introduced and in all honesty the "explanation" of the whole art collection left me confused, but then again I am not looking to buy high end pieces.Two, we do have a Park West credit card and when we buy a piece we are able to pay it off without interest... a great sales feature, but not many know about it now it seems. Third, we have always and I mean always heard the explanation of buying (no returns) and Wayne Jordan tells it like it is.. We have sat at auctions and watched guests on shopping frenzies for "old masters" and in my opinion out of control. We have only had one auctioneer, a female, who was as disrespectful to us a she was to the staff helping her. We do not buy for investment, but because we love the piece or it "moves" us.. On our last cruise last month, we found the Park West Gallery and fortunately had made up our mind...enough.. Could I afford a Peter Maxx, absolutely not..the Tarkays now seemed out of my reach, yet I did see people privately buying.. In return we have picked up thanks to the auctioneers a smidgen of knowledge. Until recently we have had our work framed locally. One cruise in the past few years we have bought "take offs" some framed.. you should have seen my overage in luggage at the airport.lol If Park West is a "rip off" why are their auctions so well attended, it can't be the champagne..I'd rather attend one than play Trivia..Chagall, Franch, Miro (the latest darling now being sold by P.W.), Chen, etc. On top of this the auctioneers are very well acquainted and are very informative. So, folks.. don't go, don't buy..
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Admiral

On our most recent cruise,Carnival's Legend in Nov. 09, the Park West auctioneer surprised me. I had poked my head in only because they were showing a never released video that was a collaboration between Dali and Disney. That struck me as such a strange match that I went and enjoyed it. After the video the auctioneer went back to sales pitch. BUT, he flat out stated that one should never buy ship art as an investment, but only if it was something you wanted to look at on the walls of your home. Ran into him later and thanked him for his honesty. Very refreshing!
Marty
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

There are signs that things have changed at Park West and with art auctions on ships. For example, Oasis of the Seas doesnot have art auctions - only an art gallery.

The auctioneer on Celebrity Solstice is Millenium Gallery out of Florida instead of Park West. And it is more of a gallery than an auction house (same on Oasis, it is a gallery).

It seems pretty obvious that the pressure the company started receiving from the public, class action lawsuits and other scrutiny have changed some of their policies, especially regarding what happens on cruise ships.

I still stand by much of my own personal research however, where I attended auctions and saw the practices of the auctioneers onboard (who are independent contractors) two years ago and I said "watch out" because a lot of the things they were saying (two years ago when I started researching this) seemed to be lacking in full disclosure.

In all honesty, I have not re-researched this topic lately, because all of the lawsuits are playing out and I figure a legal decison should be made fairly soon.

Old January 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I still stand by much of my own personal research however, where I attended auctions and saw the practices of the auctioneers onboard (who are independent contractors) two years ago and I said "watch out" because a lot of the things they were saying (two years ago when I started researching this) seemed to be lacking in full disclosure.

In all honesty, I have not re-researched this topic lately, because all of the lawsuits are playing out and I figure a legal decison should be made fairly soon.
FYI, the art auctions on Princess are run by Princess employees, not independent contractors. We are very happy with the pieces we bought (we only buy what we love and would never spend thousands of dollars!) and found that there was "full disclosure" both stated by the auctioneer (several times) and in the written material given to the bidders before the auction.

I think if you research again you'll find a lot of changes , yes, probably due to lawsuits... .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Fern, I'm glad to hear Princess still uses their in-house auctioneers. On our first cruise Carnival was using Princess auctioneers and it seemed they had a larger variety of artists and the auctioneer was more informative. But maybe that was just a rookie experience.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014