Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Last Minute Crusie Deals

Howdy Cruisemates

I have a question, i'm no sure this is the right place to post but...

Can you just walk up at the terminal and cruise CHEAP like i've heard
I would love to surprise my DH with a short spontaneous cruise.
I have a passport (now for 12/14/08 Conquest cruise with mom & sis) but he only has a birth certificate. will this be a problem?

Or if you can't just walk up where is t he best place online to find true Last Minute DEALS.

thanks debbyedoops
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

First off, many ships are sailing full and there is no guarantee they will have a cabin for you. You wouldn't want to arrive at the port and discover that there were no cabins available. Second, some cruise lines now require you to be on the passenger manifest 24 hours (or even longer) in advance. I would call the cruise line to see if they do accept walk-up guests.

You might be better off checking the sites that offer last minute deals about a few days before you want to sail. Sometimes, you can find really good deals. Other times, nothing is available.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Homeland Security has pretty much assured that one cannot just walk up and get on board as you ask.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Homeland Security has pretty much assured that one cannot just walk up and get on board as you ask.
Michael, this is not true. As I posted recently, the homeland security requirement is to have paseenger manifest 15 minutes prior to sailing. This is changing (might have already changed) to 60 minutes.

Carnival will let you book at the pier; RCI wants 24 hours. I don't know about any other lines.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Michael, this is not true. As I posted recently, the homeland security requirement is to have paseenger manifest 15 minutes prior to sailing. This is changing (might have already changed) to 60 minutes.

Carnival will let you book at the pier; RCI wants 24 hours. I don't know about any other lines.
Well, I didn't know that Marc. Thanks for pointing that out. That's why I left an out when I stated "pretty much assured" instead of absolutely.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Quote:
Michael, this is not true. As I posted recently, the homeland security requirement is to have passenger manifest 15 minutes prior to sailing. This is changing (might have already changed) to 60 minutes.

Marc is correct:

The 72 hour requirement that I and others have been quoting for quite a few years was only in effect for a few months after 9/11. This was confirmed by Carnival reservations department.

I won't be making that quote anymore.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks all for the info
I'll call Carnival and see what i can find out directly

debbyedoops
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I thought I heard in the recent cuise safety hearings that they do have to turn in a passenger manifest to homeland security I believe 24 hours before they sail. It takes time to get you on that list.

I'll se what I can find out as well.
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Paul, I posted this almost a month ago:

Quote:
As for the legal requirements, the passenger manifest must be transmitted 15 minutes prior to sailing; however, the requirement is changing to 60 minutes. Here is the link to the Federal Register:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/..._departure.pdf

I don't know where this 72 hour rumour got started; it would be great to get the correct information more widely disseminated.
It is pretty clear that the requirement will be/is 60 minutes.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14