Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Erik I don't understand why a bent passport is a security issue. Execpt I read some internet sites about old passports with bents in them having the information modified for fake IDs. So maybe that is the reason. It is an alert to the security people that the IDs maybe a modified passport if there is a bent.

Snoozeman, they do good look I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Wow, those do look good.

I live in a Norwegian community (Norse, Texas) and they are on the annual Norwegian smorgasbord menu as well.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Yeoman

Meatballs are great, if they are homemade!
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Meatballs are great, if they are homemade!
Absolutely agree, they have to be homemade.

Down here chili con carne out of a can is not chili.

Kind of back on topic: The new card size 'mini passports' are due to come out very soon. They will help people who cross the border often. I think they are only good for Mexico, Canada, & Caribbean though.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Yeoman

Are they creditcard sized and also hard like creditcards?

I wish we could get that kind of passports too but of course they should be valid for the whole world.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Are they creditcard sized and also hard like creditcards?
Yes they are. It will be a good test for future designs. It would fit in your wallet as well.

Future Cruises:
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

The question is, why haven´t they come up with that idea before?

A hard, creditcard sized passport with a chip must be the best way to do it. All informations which are stamped and/or written on the pages in an "old type" passport can be in the chip but the question is, what happens if they have a computer error in the security area?
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

How would the question of visas be "attached" to the credit card type of
passport??

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Erik... we do understand what you are saying. Just so you know, I have had problems with scanners not being able to read my passport. Many airport e-ticket scanners ask for your passport for scanning, and mine rarely works. But at the point the clerk verifies it manually.

So we do get your point. I do not know if a bent passport is impossible to use or not. But I agree with you that a valid passport should be accepted even if it means they have to take extra time to verify it.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Default passport card

I see that it's not for air, but will be perfect for many Caribbean cruises.

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land borders, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will point to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.

Future Cruises:
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
How would the question of visas be "attached" to the credit card type of
passport??
Couldn't be at this point.

The more I think about it the more I think this card is great for cruise passengers. I think I may apply for one, that way I have one in my wallet and can keep the other in the cabin safe.

Paul--maybe one of your great articles about this card? It would be very useful for 90% of American cruise passengers and help with that 'extra cost' factor of 1st time cruisers.

Future Cruises:
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yeoman

Sherrie, was the visa question for me or for Snoozeman?

Snoozeman has answered the question with that it´s not possible now if the question was for him.

In case the question for for me, I´m just speculating and in the future I see no reason why a visa can´t be attached in a credit card type of passport. Since Swedish people normally don´t need a visa for entering the US I´m not sure what they look like but I assume that whey are written, printed, stamped and/or glued in on one of the pages in the passport. That work can be done on the embassy and then scanned and saved on the chip in the passport, and also in a database they have access to in the security area on the airport. The only problem I can see with that is what might happen if they have problems with their computers in the security area. It can also be filed on paper at the embassy so that they can call and check if something happen on the way
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

my mother had to take the deed to her house along on her last 3 week trip to Hawaii from Canada... they wanted proof that her house was still there when she came back and that it was not for sale, her bank accounts listed with balances and a list of any debts she had... all because she is a landed immigrant and wasn't Canadian... hilarious... of course, she had all this ready when going through immigration, presented it to them and they looked at her like she was from Mars!

After all that, my mom decide to become a Canadian citizen and skip the hassles...

Personally, I have more trouble getting into England for some reason...
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Canadian...

Too funny about your Mom. Also, I am not surprised about England either. They are very strict about security at Gatwick last month. That was the longest line I ever waited in.

Snoooze...
I have done articles about the about the passcard. Another really good option, similar to it is the "Enhanced Driver's License" or EDL

So far, I think only Washington State issues one, but the US govt is trying to get all states to do it. It is a driver's license that verifies your citizenship for border crossings. No matter what state, they are good at any border crossings by land or sea, including cruises in Florida (even with a WA issued EDL).

They are not good for air entries, though. I don't know why the air entries are always an exception.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you want to travel get a passport or a passport card. I won't support an EDL or "REAL" ID. Sorry, but it's one step closer to "May I see your papers".

I have no problem with "special" documentation to travel outside the country but not for a national ID for inside the country.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That's funny, I never heard that perspective on EDLs. They are used by border states like WA or AZ where we have a lot of people at land crossings, instead of passports, but the fact that they are as good as a passport at landings in states other than the ones issued in I perceived as a benefit.

Am I missing something?

Sorry, Erik, we are getting a little off-topic here, but obviously the whole US border security issue is still in flux and just now starting to get the kinks worked out.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Passport Rules: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative
by Paul Motter
May 9, 2008

Carribean cruise passengers can still get by without a passport, but not for much longer, and we don't recommend it.

The notion that passports will soon be needed by all cruise passengers is true, despite some misinformation posted on the Department of Homeland Security Web site. Specifically, the WHTI FAQ, a document available online (there is a link to it below), is incorrect. After the WHTI becomes law in June, 2009, all cruisers will be required to have valid passports to re-enter the United States after a cruise within the Western Hemisphere.

The State Department recently published, on March 27, the final rules on the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and while it appears that the rules are not changing much from what they have been in the past. You can currently still travel with a state-issued ID and another document, e.g. a birth certificate, as long as you are traveling within the defined Western Hemisphere, which includes Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and much of the Caribbean, but only until the WHTI becomes a permanent law.

And on the day the new rules take effect all cruisers, except those 16 years of age and younger, will be required to show a passport or the equivalent upon re-entering the U.S. The only exception to the need for a passport will be new ID card options considered to be the equivalent of passports just now becoming available. These include the Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) currently offered by only a few border states such as Washington State. Another option is the Passport Card, a credit card-sized ID card which is good for land and sea crossings, but not for air travel.

Countries covered by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative include:

Canada
Mexico
Bermuda

17 Caribbean nations as follows:

Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Aruba
Bahamas
Bermuda British
Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Jamaica (except for business travel)
Montserrat
Netherlands Antilles
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Turks and Caicos

Now, when it comes to the transition period we are in, and whence the WHTI is fully implemented, the State Department and Customs and Border Patrol are warning us that if you do not have a passport you could be subject to delays. Here is the most recent statement regarding border crossings:

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

CURRENTLY:
U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (available in spring 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:
On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note that these rules are for land and sea arrivals. The exception is arrival by air. All air passengers are already required to present a passport to cross our borders. While the statement above implies that a passport or equally official document will be required for anyone arriving by sea, it isn't the whole story. As of January 31, 2008, the information below shows the list of acceptable documents to prove citizenship:

This list I will refer to as the "one document option" (although that is not an official term).

U.S. or Canadian Passport

U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)*

Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*

State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver's License
(when available - this secure driver's license will denote identity and citizenship)*

Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*
U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
Form I-872 American Indian Card
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card

* Frequent Land Border Crossers - to expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above asterisked documents.
Below is what the State Department calls the "Two Document Option." That is their official term.

The "Two Document" Option:

All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the columns below:

(Column 1)

Identification Documents*

Driver's license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority U.S. or Canadian military identification card.
* All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth.

(Column 2)

Citizenship Documents

U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority

U.S. Consular report of birth abroad

U.S. Certificate of Naturalization

U.S. Certificate of Citizenship

U.S. Citizen Identification Card

Canadian Citizenship Card

Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

In other words, the old standard of a drivers license and a birth certificate is going away - although the WHTI FAQ says the opposite. Even during the current transition phase, the State Department notes that you face possible delays if you go with the "two document" plan. State also points out that you should know the requirements for any country you plan to visit, because many of them require a passport to enter.

Here is the relevant wording from the 38-page document titled the WHTI Land and Sea Final Rule, dated 3/27/08:
( http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-6725.pdf -- page 37, middle column)

When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

The above is valid only during the current transition phase.

Here is the incorrect statement from the WHTI FAQ: (link:
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...andsea_faq.pdf)

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The first sentence is incorrect. All adults will be required to show passports or the equivalent when re-entering the country. What is known as the "two-document option" which is currently in force during the transition to WHTI, will no longer apply. Only the part about minors under 16 is correct.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you'll be making on your cruise.

CruiseMates still recommends that every cruiser should have a passport. It is by far the best proof of citizenship. They are even better than the new U.S. Passport Card, when they become available (applications are now being taken here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html).

The reason a standard passport is still better is because even though the passport card will facilitate entry at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda, the card cannot be used to travel by air.

Another reason for our passport recommendation is that all cruisers must now go through Customs and Border Patrol when disembarking a cruise ship. This means everyone must prove their citizenship in order to get off the ship, and if you are relying on the "two-document option," it can delay everyone, not just yourself.

In addition, if an emergency occurs you might find yourself in a situation where you have to enter a foreign country that requires a passport. Or you may be forced to return to the U.S. by air, and all air travelers are now required to produce passports to airport Border Patrol and Customs officers.

Yes, we are just as confused as you probably are, and that is yet another reason to just get the passport. For more information, go to these web sites:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...andsea_faq.pdf

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va..._in_proced.xml
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
That's funny, I never heard that perspective on EDLs. They are used by border states like WA or AZ where we have a lot of people at land crossings, instead of passports, but the fact that they are as good as a passport at landings in states other than the ones issued in I perceived as a benefit.

Am I missing something?

Sorry, Erik, we are getting a little off-topic here, but obviously the whole US border security issue is still in flux and just now starting to get the kinks worked out.
Paul,
Many states have rejected the REAL ID and the EDL (which is another way to back door REAL ID) format for licenses. The federal government is playing the heavy hand and trying to force implementation. It had originally been required by June 2008, now it is 2017.

Do a Google of REAL ID and there are many references to the issue.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Yeoman

Paul, it´s okej that we are getting off topic since I seem the get more enemies than friends with what I wrote!

It´s not a big thing for me but it´s important information for all forengers who which to enter the US. I really can´t understand why no nonamericans has responded with a "thank you for the information"!
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Thanks Paul, good information.

I also see that the initial Passport Cards are now issued and in the mail. They also have a new photo of the card on their website. I checked about getting one and looks like I'm better off waiting until I renew. It's a bit confusing just now, but look like they don't want to issue cards to those currently holding, but will issue a card with new passport applications and renewals. When I renew I'll get new passport booklet AND a card.

Future Cruises:
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Its a dated link but it explains the passport in detail.....

http://www.auswanderer-forum.com/for...assport-57691/

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Its not just passports Eric. Here in Florida, they changed the drivers licence. Well, they seem to crack right along the magnetic strip. If you are pulled over or questioned by police. They do not have to accept the licence. They may accept it, then give you a ticket for the way it is, broken, by no falut of your own. Two people at work went and got theirs, not even a day went by and the card was broken.

The law may be silly, but its the one we have. I tend to think that the 6 month policy is because you can get a visa ( work or other ) while you are in the country you are in. Some of those visa's are for a longer time than 6 months, so they want you to have a passport that is valid. In 2015 when mine is 6-9 months from exp. date, I will renew.

You are always welcome to our great country. Hope our paths will cross one day, I too will extend my hand in friendship. I'll buy you a beer as well ( soda if you dont drink ).

Tim Ruth
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Yeoman

Tim, I like most things in your country but most of your beer is really grouse so it will have to be an imported one!
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah I know the beer is gross, but hey, its beer

Tim
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This is the problem I was talking about... with our dollar down so much one upsode should be that tourism goes wild. Well, it isn't. This is excepted from "travelmole.com"
http://www.travelmole.com/stories/11...vT_m~AAvvT_m~A

28 July, 2008

Tight visas discouraging foreign conventioneers to US

The expected growth of overseas visitors coming to the US for conventions and trade shows is not as robust as it should be. Travel observers blame two factors: tight visa regulations and a crackdown on illegal immigration.

“The Department of Homeland Security wants to keep out anyone perceived to be a threat, so you must have legitimate business to come in. However, even that is a struggle,” Stephen hacker, president and CEO of the International Association of Exhibitions and Events, told Meetings Midamerica.

Visitors from the 27 Visa Waiver countries, which primarily include Western Europe, do not have the problem. But it is particularly acute in emerging nations such as India and China.

Other roadblocks are in place as well. In Brazil, for example, there’s a three-month waiting list to obtain a visa to the US.

World figures from the US Tourism Industry Association report that international travel to the US has fallen by 17% since 2001.

“With our dollar down, there should be a tidal wave of tourism here,” said Mr Hacker.

Report by David Wilkening
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Something else....ESTA

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...a_web_tool.xml

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization is a new, fully automated, electronic system for screening passengers before they begin travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.

ESTA Web Tool is asking the same questions as the old I-94W that travelers who fall under the Visa Waiver program have to fill out. The only new thing is that it has to be filled out 72 hours in advance and only if it clears can one actually use the Visa Waiver.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Yeoman

I heared about ESTA yesterday. It doesn´t seem like a big deal right now.

The question is, what´s next?

Is there any risk that every european needs a visa to enter the US soon? If that happens, I don´t think that the European Union will be very happy and MAYBE every american will need a visa to enter the European Union!

It is a little complicated to get an american visa but I have less than to hours by car to your embassy in Stockholm so it´s not a big problem if I ever has to do that.

How easy will it be for you ge get a visa to the European Union? I´m not sure but I guess that if you ever have to get a visa for Europe, you need to get to an embassy in Washington DC. That´s not so easy for everyone!
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Gee, Why is it people don't trust the goverment?

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation - USATODAY.com

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014