Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cruise Line Rut, Just asking:)

I am interested in why some cruisers stick to cruising only one line. "Most" perks given to elite members, are they that good, that you want to only enjoy only the ambiance of that line?

With multiple lines now, sailing from very diverse US ports, the choices are many for you to choose from...Galveston will be catching back up soon.

I know familiarity brings comfort, but don't you just, sometimes, want to switch things up, and experience different lines concepts?

I guess aftere so many on the same line I would get bored, especially being type A:):) Don't flame please, just curious as to why;):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Admiral

For us, it is physical convenience. We live in Florida and thus have lots of options.
And, having had some bad experiences on one or two lines versus a lot of good ones on other lines. That, and budget. Different lines when things are good...DH is self employed.
Marty
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

For me what I like is to change it up. Why stay in one's comfort level all the time. That is boring and mundane.

But there is the only hold back of achieving the status levels for the additional perks.

If there was some type of uniformed database that regardless of cruiseline you cruised on but based your perks on the number of cruises overall then that would be the perfect world.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Good subject, I have only traveled on Princess and RCCL. One of my goals is to travel on most if not all of the other cruise lines. I try to read about the differences but the only way to really know for sure is to try them yourself. I enjoy Princess and RCCL, but have no doubt that HAL and the others have a lot to offer. More often than not the people that do reviews have had some type of problem and use the review process to vent. Mike
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Line Rut, Just asking:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I am interested in why some cruisers stick to cruising only one line. "Most" perks given to elite members, are they that good, that you want to only enjoy only the ambiance of that line?

With multiple lines now, sailing from very diverse US ports, the choices are many for you to choose from...Galveston will be catching back up soon.

I know familiarity brings comfort, but don't you just, sometimes, want to switch things up, and experience different lines concepts?

I guess after so many on the same line I would get bored, especially being type A Don't flame please, just curious as to why
Great Question Trip!

I too have often wondered about this. I know that the perks for being an Elite passenger are good but they aren't that good that it will make me forsake all other cruiselines.

People can make their own choices and I have no problem with that but I do not understand someone who has "never" cruised another cruise line and continues to cruise the same one. I can understand someone who has tried others and finds one that is right for them.

Me: I basically know what I will get on a ship "some ships and lines I am a little leery of" but I won't say no to any ship or line if an itinerary or circumstances are of sufficient interest to me. I have yet cruised purely because of the ship or the cruise line. However I do like those CC casual cruises, but not to exclusivity.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Captain

I do not understand why the large corporations (Carnival Corp) for example do not make there loyalty problems apply to ALL therer lines in this case Canival, HAL, Princess, Seabourn, Windstar etc.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Admiral

For me, it is those two words they say when we board:

Welcome Home

It is the crew, the ship, the food, the service....it is going home. We have found no reason to change cruise lines. Of course, we do have two river cruises in the next year so they are different cruise lines but we still plan most of our cruising on Regent.

BTW, their frequent passenger perks are pretty shoddy. We are currently gold with 139 nights. All we really get are free internet, three hours of free phone, and free USA Today (or any other) newspaper, and free pressing. We are looking forward to free laundry at next milestone.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Captain

I'm not usually real conservative, but I am with my cruises. It's really too big of a deal to me to book less than I expect to be thrilled with.
We have tried Carnival, RCI, Celebrity and Princess. We prefer Celebrity and Princess. I would consider going back on the other two, but the price would have to be fab.
Our cruise on the Crown is the fist one in YEARS! I hope this goes well & if we're able to get back in the habit of cruising yearly- maybe I'll loosen up!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It is the crew, the ship, the food, the service....it is going home. We have found no reason to change cruise lines.
I'm with Marc on this subject.

It is nice to board a wonderful ship and be familiar with the staff already and have excellent service.

Most of my future cruises will be on Royal.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We tend to spread the wealth amongst the different cruise lines (notice that I have 4 cruises booked on 4 different lines). We do have Platinum status on Carnival because we like them for quick short getaways. If I am taking a longer cruise, I prefer Celebrity or HAL. I likeoyal Caribbean when the itinerary is better than one offered by Carnival since they are usually higher priced when compairng the same itinerary. I have sailed a couple of times on Norwegian, but I don't care for freestyle cruising so I probably won't sail them again.

For me, a lot depends on which ship has the best price for the itinerary on a cplace I want to go. I am only 1 or 2 cruises short of elite status on any of the lines, so that no longer makes a big difference to me. (If I didn't have to work, I would be elite on all of them.)

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I like to ick it on the ship and the price. I wonn't, yes WON'T go on RCI unless the whole trip is free or someone else pays. I don't like the size of the ships and the layout isn't good either--that and they use the same names over and over and over and over and over...

I'm wiaiing for platinum on Carnival and then I'll consider trying Princess. I can safely say I will NOT go with Norwegian as the restaurants I would want to go to would be the pay ones and I don't go on a cruise to meet people, I go to have fun! Needless to say, I'd be eating at a table for one if I did Norwegian!!!!

HAL is too stuffy and formal for me--I don't want to dress up each night. Celebrity is too expensive and their ships are medium size, I like the 100-110 tonne size....

One day when I am rich I'll try anything and everything, but until that happens I'll stick with Carnival!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Passenger

Default CRUISE LINE RUT JUST ASKING

MY WIFE AND I ARE GETTING READY FOR OUR FORTH CRUISE. WE HAVE CRUISED RCL, NORWEGIAN,AND COSTA BEFORE. OUR NEXT CRUISE WILL BE ON HOLLAND AMERICA. WE ENJOY THE DIFFERANCE OF THE SHIPS. SO FAR NOWEGIAN IS OUR FAVORITE, WITH RCL A CLOSE SECOND. WE REALLY DIDN'T ENJOY OUR BERMUDA CRUISE. IT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ALL COSTA'S FAULT. WE HAD ROUGH WEATHER AT BERMUDA. BUT WE CRUISED IN EARLY APRIL AND MAYBE THATS TOO EARLY FOR BERMUDA. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GO BERMUDA FIRST AND THEN NASSAU. WHEN WE BOARDED THE SHIP WE WERE INFORMED THAT THERE WAS A COLD FRONT NEAR BURMUDA AND THAT WE WOULD GO TO NASSAU FIRST AND THEN BERMUDA. WHEN WE GOT TO BERMUDA WE HAD TO SIT OFF SHORE FOR A DAY AND A HALF. WE FINALLY GOT TO SPEND 8 HOURS IN BERMUDA INSTEAD OF 2 AND A HALF DAYS. I PERSONLLY THINK THAT IF THEY KNEW ABOUT THE BAD WEATHER AROUND BERMUDA, THEY SHOULD HAVE DIVERTED INTO THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN INSTEAD. PLUS THE SERVICE WASN'T VERY GOOD WE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE WAITERS AND THE FOOD WASN'T VERY GOOD
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
First Mate

I like to mix it up. Don't know if the "perks" are enough to keep me with one line.
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Just an FYI to angel....HAL is not a dress up every night cruise line. If it was, I would never get my DH on board and it is his favorite line...and mine.
Marty, aka anti-stuffy
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Yeoman

Freestyle is probably the main reason why I don´t consider anything else than NCL. I see no reason to share my dinner table with people I don´t know just because I´m on a cruise, I never do that on restaurants when I´m not cruising.

I also don´t want my waiters to "perform" for me, I want them to serve my food.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My least favorite thing on any cruise line are the "Singing waiters on Carnival" but it still won't stop me from booking a Carnival cruise. Even if I don't care for one aspect of a cruise there are many other positive things that offset it.

I'm not so set in my ways not to at least try new things or let some things I don't care for slide by in order to enjoy the positive parts of a cruise line. Carnival has great food.

I'm not a "Stepford Cruiser" where I am happy to just be on a ship and I don't care what happens as long as I don't have to cook a meal. Actually I'm pretty critical when it comes to cruising and if a cruise or a line doesn't meet my expectations or has gone downhill I will let people know about it and voice my opinion and observations.

Life's too short to be a "One Cruise Line Wonder."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Freestyle is probably the main reason why I don´t consider anything else than NCL. I see no reason to share my dinner table with people I don´t know just because I´m on a cruise, I never do that on restaurants when I´m not cruising.

I also don´t want my waiters to "perform" for me, I want them to serve my food.
This is the exact reason I do not sail on NCL and I do sail on RCI. I enjoy meeting new people and on most every cruise we sail on, we meet people at our dining room table that we become friends with for the cruise. I can see not dining with others while at home, we have friends for that. However, we cruise alone on a ship and it's nice to meet people at our dining room table that we can be friends with while on the cruise. We have really enjoyed some of the people we've met, and have even kept in touch with some of them to this day!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Mike wrote...I'm not a "Stepford Cruiser" where I am happy to just be on a ship and I don't care what happens as long as I don't have to cook a meal. Actually I'm pretty critical when it comes to cruising and if a cruise or a line doesn't meet my expectations or has gone downhill I will let people know about it and voice my opinion and observations.
It's always astounded me, when someone decides to post something not so flattering, or describe a bad situation they've encountered on a cruise ship, and they get flamesd to death, and told to suck it up, and go with the flow....they are not cooking, cleaning etc...

Let the person vent about the sewerage in the bathroom, or no air for 4 days....I know I would not be a happy cruiser either. They deserve the right to complain, as others have the right to rave...Of course there may be exceptions, but many times, I think people will not complain, due to the "Moran Syndrome"

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
It's always astounded me, when someone decides to post something not so flattering, or describe a bad situation they've encountered on a cruise ship, and they get flamesd to death, and told to suck it up, and go with the flow....they are not cooking, cleaning etc...

Let the person vent about the sewerage in the bathroom, or no air for 4 days....I know I would not be a happy cruiser either. They deserve the right to complain, as others have the right to rave...Of course there may be exceptions, but many times, I think people will not complain, due to the "Moran Syndrome"
I don't think it's so much flamming what the poster is complaining about as much as it is flamming what the poster wants in compensation for what they are complaining about.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

I will agree that many posters go over the top sometimes, in thinking that they deserve the world, when things go wrong, on a cruise, and those posts generate, replies that can run the gamut from agreement, sympathy, and outrage.

On the other hand, over the years, I have seen posters who, will make a statement about something or other that happened, not asking for any form of compensation, and the flames start.

Of course what bothers one, may not bother the other, and when people tell a poster to ignore it, or go with the flow, you're on a cruise gosh darn it...it just devalues that posters right to have that opinion. If they had that issue in a hotel, or a land based vacation, would they be so willing to say go with the flow.

I guess this is just my observation from reading posts for 12 years, and being told that, they will not post any negativity, thinking they will go up in smoke, and have to deal with their not loving everything.

Old July 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
First Mate

We aren't adverse to changing lines, and as you can see--we have.

Basically for us, it depends on the cruise, and the fact DH won't fly.

So---golf cruises we sail Carnival. Longer cruises, we sail HAL, which is our favorite so far. DH says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I am getting restless with the "same old', same 'old", so we have RCCL booked for 2009, and we're looking at Princess for 2010.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Yeoman

Isn´t it great that cruiselines, and people, are different?

We don´t cruise to meet new friends so we have no interest in dining with other people. If we were forced to eat with other people, most of them would probably be very nice and it shouldn´t be a problem but sometimes you might not like them and then it´s a problem! Since our language isn´t english I also see another problem, if we should talk about something that noone else has no reason to understand we should prefer to speak swedish but I think that should be rude to the other people around the table!
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
First Mate

Yes Erik, we also prefer to dine alone unless we are cruising with friends.

Mike is very shy and doesn't talk much, so it's hard for me to be the only one to carry the conversation.

However, last April, we did spend 15 days dining with a wonderful couple from Canada.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yeoman

As I said, it´s great that the cruiselines are different. If you wish to eat with other people you can cruise with a company that offer that, if you wish not to you can choose that kind of company. One good thing with NCL is that you can ask to be seated with other people if you wants to.

One problem with meeting new people and fixed seatings is that if you meet people by the pool or on an excursion or whatever you can´t dine with them in the main diningroom if you are assigned a time and a table.