Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Were you the 1st...

Among your group of friends to cruise, or did other friends come back with wonderful sea tales, and you just had to see what cruising was all about?

I worked with one woman, who had done a few cruises, but among my pals, we were the first....others followed, but funny, we have never cruised together.

Oddly, my boss at the time cruised once after my raves, and if you can believe it, payed brochure price! She came back saying, how she hated the forced dinner time, and habitually came late to the table..how rude!
If she cruised now. boy would she see the difference!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

One intern at work heard my fun tales of cruising. She was interested. Her husbad had to go to LA for a three-day conference so they decided to stretch the trip out and go for a seven-day Mexico cruise....They loved it...They are hooked. Too bad it was on RCI and not Carnival, but they are sports minded people.....

The BIG boss at work was thinking of taking his family on a cruise on RCI (both his kids are active and his daughter is a figure skater). They didn't like the fact that it took so long to get to Miami and went to the Mayan Riviera instead---uhm, 7-10 hour flight to Miami the day before or a 10 hour+ plus flight to Cancun and then a hour or two on a bus to the hotel=your first day in Mexico is a write off, that and the last day is a travel day....They shoulda cruised....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Amoung my friends I'm the only cruiser! Either they tried it and did not care for it or never cruised before and do not have any desire to.
Family members however are all cruisers! 8) 8)

Convinced my neighbor to try cruising they are booked for 7/09 on the Explorer of the seas. Their boys play hockey and live on the ice so RCCL was the way to go for them.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

The BF has cruised before and always said he wanted to go on another one. We booked it. Talked about it to my sister and his brother and they both booked with their spouses. What turned out to be a cruise just for the two of us ended up being a group cruise. The only one with their sea legs is my BF and the rest of us are just plain newbies. We plan on having a great time!!!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:39 AM
Admiral

I can't even begin to speculate on how many people I talk to at work, and in my leisure time I've talked into cruising, and 99% of them are now hooked. I have four brothers, and we now have family reunion cruises, and they, and their extended families are all hooked, with the exception of ONE brother. He absolutely knows that there is nothing to do, he will feel confined on a ship, so he hasn't tried it.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Admiral

When I took my first cruise, I only knew one person who had been on one. A co-worker who treated his entire extended family. Since he was pretty cheap in general, that got my attention.
A few years ago, a neighbor of ours got married and decided, partly based on how much we love cruises, to do one for his honeymoon. Afterwards, I asked him if they had a good time. He didn't....he had somehow managed to forget that he was one of the Vietnamese who came to US via small boats. His overturned and he was one of only a very few survivors who got picked up by the US Coast Guard. He was terrified of being on the sea at all. He made fun of himself over it, but I still felt bad.
Hasn't kept me from talking up cruising to anyone who will listen, though. I still think it is the best vacation in the world!
Marty
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Captain

My sisters went first and talked me into going with them. I loved it and have talked my DH into going with me. I hope he has as much fun as I am planning on having, as long as he doesn't get on my nerves too much. He works nights I work days and we're not use to being around each other all the time, so it should be quite interesting. Or if you hear of a man overboard it may be him.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife and I were the first to cruise. Based on our love of cruising my brother and his wife went with us on a Western Caribbean cruise. My SIL loved it but my brother just "liked it". He has no desire to do it again. My SIL will go again in the future.

My daughter and I will be going on a cruise in November, her first, and I'll see how she likes it.

Cruising is not for everyone and I won't force anyone into it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Captain

Nope, I had to be talked into it, but took to it like a duck to water .
My husband and his first wife had gone a couple of times . . . his sister & her husband had been on one & were absolutely obnoxious about it.
We went in '96 and then every year for 5 years until health issues made it im practical. THings are better & our Crown Princess trip in October will hopefully be the new beginning to another long stretch of yearly cruises.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Passenger

Default WERE YOU THE FIRST

EXCEPT FOR MY PARENTS WHO WENT ON THE "SEA VENTURE" BACK IN 1971 FOR THIER 25TH ANIVERSARY, A 7 DAY BERMUDA OUT OF NEW YORK. MY WIFE AND I WERE THE FIRST IN OUR IMEDIATE FAMILY TO CRUISE. WE HAVE NOW DONE THREE CRUISES, EASTERN AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN AND ALSO BERMUDA. WE ARE NOW BOOKED FOR JANUARY ON A 10 DAY SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE. WE ARE HOOKED. WE KEEP TALKING UP CRUISING TO OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILIES BUT NO LUCK, THERE LOSS. WE DID TALK ONE COUPLE AT WERE I WORK INTO CRUISING. THEY TOOK A 7 DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE AND LOVED IT. THEY ARE PLANNING ON ANOTHER SOON, PROBABLY AN EASTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE. I MUST LET YOU KNOW WE LIVE JUST NORTH OF TAMPA FLORIDA SO CRUISES ARE EASY FOR US. MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS LIVE UP IN NEW ENGLAND SO IT IS A LITTLE BIT MORE EXPENSIVE FOR THEM.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Admiral

I was the first among my friends. Only one has had the finances to followup.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Amoung my friends I'm the only cruiser! Either they tried it and did not care for it or never cruised before and do not have any desire to.
Family members however are all cruisers! 8) 8)

Convinced my neighbor to try cruising they are booked for 7/09 on the Explorer of the seas. Their boys play hockey and live on the ice so RCCL was the way to go for them.
CQ me too! The one that cruises regularly anyway...I have convinced my friends to go at least once with me but so far that's all they have done. And they love it...but I have yet to get them back on a boat....(money issues)
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
CQ me too! The one that cruises regularly anyway...I have convinced my friends to go at least once with me but so far that's all they have done. And they love it...but I have yet to get them back on a boat....(money issues)
CC at least your friends went once! My BFF won't even go once and money is not an issue for her!
That is ok though my friends can stay home and I'll cruise! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Admiral

My daughter had been on two cruise (won by her husband at work). I couldn't let her be the only cruiser in the family so I booked one with my BF. I was hooked, him not quiet as much as me, but he enjoys them once he is there. Last year we talked some friends into going with us. She loved it, he said it was okay, but every 5 years would be okay with him. I now have our 3rd booked for next year. Haven't been able to talk our friends into it again, at least not him. I would go more often if I could.

Need some cruise help?
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to wehearttravel
Default cruising family

My husband and I started the cruising. My sister and brother in law went one year and they love it, although they cant seem to afford to go again.

My in laws started cruising with us and traveling with us about 3 or 4 yrs ago and now we plan on cruising once a year. We also throw in Vegas a couple of times a year too.

We love to travel, together and especially love the "one stop shop" that cruising allows. Of course we spend lots of money once on the ship but we know the option is there if we choose not to spend extra money.

Angela
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Actually, DS, was the first to cruise. He had been on a Deaf group cruise (he's deaf).

But we started cruising when I had a horrendous tragedy in my family, and we needed to get away and "re-bond".

DH wasn't sure he would like it, but he's hooked as much as I am. In fact, he's the one who likes the long itineraries.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
CC at least your friends went once! My BFF won't even go once and money is not an issue for her!
That is ok though my friends can stay home and I'll cruise! 8)

that's what i say!

at some point we need to cruise together! and drag DTW, and MBJ, and whomever else is willing!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
at some point we need to cruise together! and drag DTW, and MBJ, and whomever else is willing!
Count me in! The Speedo thread posters on a cruise together!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Captain

We were the first in our circle to cruise and, of course, are addicted. I got to thinking about this the other day and we have actually introduced 27 people to their first cruises. Only 2 said they hated it and would not want to cruise again. The rest loved it!
Carnival needs to start paying us a commission
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Friends came back from a cruise and said what a great time they had. I still had to be talked into it. Once convinced it was full steam ahead.