Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default New Cruise Port Suggestion

Rocky Point - at the mouth of the Colorado River inside the Gulf of California.

Put one of your small ships there and get the drive market from Phoenix/Tucson, some 3 million people.

Go to ports few ships ever visit, La Paz, Copper Canyon, and add in Cabo and maybe Puerto Vallarta.

Just a suggestion - nothing like this has ever been tried before, but the West Coast could certainly benefit from new destinations, plus there is a large untapped drive market. (we can drive there in three hours). Make it even easier on us and bus us down from Phoenix. Anyone can tolerate a 3 1/2 hour bus ride.

Rocky Point even has an international airport within 100 miles at Mexicali (a mexican city with 1,000,000 residents and one of the largest Chinese populations in North America). There is a railroad connecting Mexicali to Rocky Point.

Probably crazy I know, I'm just sitting here daydreaming.

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Admiral

Paul, the Sea of Cortez is too narrow a body of water if a storm should come up. I know American Safari and other cruise lines do ply these waters (and my aunt keeps a boat down there except during hurricane sesaon); however, I don't think one of the big cruise lines would take the risk.

If you want to start a thread on wishes for new ports, I would like to recommend a World War II Pacific Naval Battles tour. Imagine going to the Solomon Islands, Guadacanal, Saipan, Iwo Jima, Truk, and a number of other places that are frequented too often and are never (at least I have not seen one) combined into a WWII tour.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yeah, I have benr been to those Asian ports either. Its too bad the greatest generation is dting away so quickly. My trip to Niormandy was very interesting. The cruise lines used to do more such cruises.

I also remember back in the 80s you could hardly go on a cruise without meeting a passenger who said "the only cruise I ever took before was in a gray ship with a few thousand other guys."

Funny, hurricanes and the Gulf of Cortes are not two things I associate very often, but I'm not a boater either.

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Rocky Point might be a port that cruise lines could consider for their smaller ships.

The more homeland ports the better.

I don't know about the three hour bus trip. I know I wouldn't go for one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Carnival appears to be the only cruise line hitting these ports:
Manzanillo, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico
However, as a kid watching "The Love Boat" they always stopped in Acapulco. I would like to see more ships hitting these ports.

On my Alaskan cruise we hit the canadian ports of Vancouver and Victoira. I wonder if leaving from the West Coast (San Francisico, Long Beach, San Diego, and San Pedro) it is possible to do a Canadian cruise with some stop in Washington and Oregon; cause I think that would be interesting. I checked Canada and nothing comes up out of the west coast.

I didn't know what's possible it just seems there should be more to do out of the west coast them is currently availible. It seems like an untapped market.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default New and Improved Houston Terminal

I can't wait to see what's instore for the New and Improved HOUSTON TERMINAL... in 2009 i think

It will great to have a bigger selection of NEW cruises (longer would be nice 8, 10, 12 or more days) and cruise ships. Hope to see Princess back and maybe - HA, NCL, or maybe one of the more formal lines Celebrity

I think this new terminal can offer a lot to travelers...with Houston a major airport only 1 hour away, and other interesting cities close by I hope so.
Does anyone have any info

thanks
debbyedoops
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Carnival appears to be the only cruise line hitting these ports:
Manzanillo, Mexico; Acapulco, Mexico; Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico
However, as a kid watching "The Love Boat" they always stopped in Acapulco. I would like to see more ships hitting these ports.

On my Alaskan cruise we hit the canadian ports of Vancouver and Victoira. I wonder if leaving from the West Coast (San Francisico, Long Beach, San Diego, and San Pedro) it is possible to do a Canadian cruise with some stop in Washington and Oregon; cause I think that would be interesting. I checked Canada and nothing comes up out of the west coast.

I didn't know what's possible it just seems there should be more to do out of the west coast them is currently availible. It seems like an untapped market.
Kat, many ships hit Acapulco; just check Cruise Travel Magazine. This fall Azamara, Carnival, Celebrity, Crystal, NCL, Princess, RCI, and Silversea are scheduled to port in Acapulco.

As for stops on west coast, my father cruised to Vancouver a couple of times from LA that stopped at a number of spots along the west coast. Next year, he has a full alaskan cruise round trip from LA stopping in Astoria, OR. here is his itinerary:

Quote:
Date
Port/City
Activity
Description
Mon, Apr 27
Los Angeles, California Depart 11:00 PM
Tue, Apr 28
At Sea
Wed, Apr 29
At Sea
Thu, Apr 30
Astoria, Oregon Docked Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM
Fri, May 01
At Sea
Sat, May 02
Ketchikan, Alaska Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM
Sun, May 03
Juneau, Alaska Docked Arrive 11:00 AM Depart 8:30 PM
Mon, May 04
Skagway, Alaska Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM
Tue, May 05
Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) Cruising Arrive 12:00 PM Depart 4:00 PM
Wed, May 06
Sitka, Alaska Tendered Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 2:00 PM
Thu, May 07
At Sea
Fri, May 08
Victoria, British Columbia Docked Arrive 11:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM
Sat, May 09
At Sea
Sun, May 10
At Sea
Mon, May 11
Los Angeles, California Arrive 7:00 AM

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: New and Improved Houston Terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbyedoops
I can't wait to see what's instore for the New and Improved HOUSTON TERMINAL... in 2009 i think

It will great to have a bigger selection of NEW cruises (longer would be nice 8, 10, 12 or more days) and cruise ships. Hope to see Princess back and maybe - HA, NCL, or maybe one of the more formal lines Celebrity

I think this new terminal can offer a lot to travelers...with Houston a major airport only 1 hour away, and other interesting cities close by I hope so.
Does anyone have any info

thanks
debbyedoops
Well I agree with you. No new news as yet.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I'd like to see Carnival move another ship to Galveston or put a ship at the Houston port.

I would also like to see a few more cruises out of Vancouver (BC) to Mexico (say a 8-10 day with stops at Catalina, Mazatlan, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta).

It would also be nice if more lines would use Halifax NS as a port for a seven day New England/Maratime cruises.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Corpus Christi

Since we are mentioning future ports I'd certainly consider Corpus Cristi, Texas. They already have the terminal built as they did a combination convention center on the harbor that could be converted easily. Hate to mention it since Houston is still waiting, but CC has a nice airport and as many if not more hotel rooms than Galveston. You could do Vera Cruz, Cozumel, etc. from CC.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This article abot mexican cruising actually mentions Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) as a possible future port:

http://www.mexidata.info/id1914.html

Quote:
Meanwhile, tourism officials seek to “Mexicanize” the country’s cruise ship business, which until now has been virtually foreign. The new initiative will involve the construction of one or more home ports for Mexico-based ships. The SCT’s Ivan Uriza confirmed that his agency is studying the possibility of locating a home port in Puerto Vallarta. Frequently called “Arizona’s Beach” because of its proximity to Phoenix, Puerto Peñasco on the Sea of Cortez is also mentioned as a possible site for a future home port.