Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:38 AM
First Mate

yes. i guess it is just the way i was raised. my parents were 'cash and carry' kind of folks, plus there were not a lot of credit cards around,, and they didn't have much money, either. you just learned to live within your means and be thankful for what you had rather than whining about what you didn't have!! alas!
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Admiral

There are advantages to credit cards in that it allows you to build credit, and as far as credit goes a vacation would be acceptable to put on a credit card, but you should have at least a significant portion, if not all of the money, to pay it off once the bill comes in. Personally I am going to use a secured card to help rebuild my credit and ease the burden of travelling, but I am mainly going to be using it for shipboard expenses as opposed to the entire cruise. I think it may help me budget some, knowing I will have to pay it off.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

We use one credit card for everything (for airline miles), but we always pay the balance in full each month.

We wouldn't put a vacation on our credit card, unless we could afford to pay off the balance when the bill arrived.

Nor, have we ever taken out a loan for a vacation.

If we can't afford it, we don't go.

As for booking a vacation without each other knowing....never has happened. Planning the trip together is part of the excitement!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Admiral

The only reason I would delay a full payment against the credit card is the fact that monthly payments can help restore my damaged credit. But I would likely pay off 50-70% on the first payment to make it clear I am being responsible with credit.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
First Mate

I need to make more money...

I always paid for cruises before I left. But now that hubby and i just built our dream home, I only get to window shop and I hate it.

By the way, my fil wrote a book called Bankrupt about the state the economy is in about 13 years ago. Funny huh!