Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Default Booking group rates: cruise direct or TA ?

I'm planning a group cruise wedding, and can't decide whether to book directly with the cruise line, or with a AAA agent who won't give me any quotes (other than brochure) until I give her names & cabin choices. The cruise line's quotes are decent compared to other online agents, but they're locked and she only offers midship cabins, upgrades if available and lower fares if available. The AAA agent will offer all of the above plus shipboard credits if they become available.

It seems like AAA have more flexibility to get me the best deals, but I don't have quotes. Should I trust that? Has anybody had any experience booking through AAA or gotten good prices when they booked w/out first getting quotes?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

To be honest, AAA, has in the past, always been high in the quotes I got...You need to check around if you haven't already with other agents.

I always book with a ta...you sometimes need an advovate, and help over and above, and a ta, has always been there for us.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't even talk to AAA, or any other agent who wouldn't give me a quote without knowing names, addresses, or other information up front. There are simply too many GOOD agents out there to fool around with this nonsense.
I agree with Trip too, in that when I have checked with AAA, they have always been a bit higher than most anyone else. Give Cruisecompete.com a shot. At least that will give you a good idea of what the accommodation's you're thinking of should sell for, even if you don't elect to do business with them.

Ken
"Sky"
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Booking group rates: cruise direct or TA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellocruise
I'm planning a group cruise wedding, and can't decide whether to book directly with the cruise line, or with a AAA agent who won't give me any quotes (other than brochure) until I give her names & cabin choices. The cruise line's quotes are decent compared to other online agents, but they're locked and she only offers midship cabins, upgrades if available and lower fares if available. The AAA agent will offer all of the above plus shipboard credits if they become available.

It seems like AAA have more flexibility to get me the best deals, but I don't have quotes. Should I trust that? Has anybody had any experience booking through AAA or gotten good prices when they booked w/out first getting quotes?
In my experience and the experience of others, AAA is not a great place to get cruise rates. From my personal experience it's one of the worst. I would find an agent who specializes in groups and contact them.

If you need a recommendation you can PM me and I'll give you one or you can use some of the advertisers here on Cruisemates.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'm getting quotes from several other TAs now.