Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Beginner

Default Should single person go on 8-day cruise?

I'm planning to take a cruise to the Caribbean this month (August 23) for the first time. My problem - I have no company; my daughter has to work. I am a 46 year-old woman (Bronxite).

What are the chances of me enjoying myself alone on a first time cruise?
Is this a good idea?
I also worry about my safety.
Will my personal belongings be safe?
I've heard about people falling/or being thrown overboard, or even disappear from some cruise ships (all rare).

I've been wanting to go on a cruise for the last five years and finally I can afford to go.
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello, I enjoy solitude a great deal and probably would enjoy a solo cruise. I am male and security would not concern me. I would suggest that you take normal precautions that you normally would in your daily routines. I highly reccomend that if booking excursions that you use the ships offerings and not set off on your on agenda. My wife and I felt totally secure on the cruise and had a great time. Have a great time.........MD
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Admiral

By all means... GO! Enjoy yourself and have fun!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Solitude is the key word. Expect some periods when you will not be able to find someone to talk to even if you are in the mood for it. If you are OK with that you will be fine - that is a personal thing.

Women generally fare better sailing solo than men, because they are less "threatening." There is a good chance your tablemates will make you one of the family if you like them and drop a few hints. Like if they say they are going on a certain excursion mention you like the sound of it.

My one piece of advice is that if you don't like your tablemates then asked to be moved early in the cruise so you have a chance to meet new ones. Also - go to activities like trivia and be assertive - ask if you can join a group. Look for groups that look like they could use a little firing up as far as social intercourse is concerned (as opposed to what appears to be close friends sailing together).

Otherwise - take some good books, order room service at 3:00 am, and enjoy being on your own. Many people love it.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
Familiar Face

8) Like Mountain Dog said, use precautions like you would at home. Easy on the alcohol, don't wander off alone, etc.... There are plenty of people having a great time and you shouldn't feel lonely unless you want to be. You'll have a blast and probably make a few new friends to boot. 8)
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I've cruised solo twice and going for a third in 33 days. I LOVE IT!!!! I love the fact taht I have no one to wait for, no one to meet up with, no one to meet at this time or that time, no one to drag me where I do NOT want to go! I love it!!!!!

The one downside to cruising solo is you don't have someone to watch your bag at the beach when you go in the water. I did take a dip at Half Moon Cay last September and I always kept an eye on the beach in the water. I was there early enough to frolich in the sea for a good hour before my shore excursion made me leave and wander back to the welcome center. If you are doing a snorkling tour on a boat/catamaran then you should feel safe that your bag is safe. Your valuables will be safe in the cabin safe, but do remember to bring an old gift card to open/close the safe.

As far as man overboard, there always seems to be a reason why it happens. I say if you are responsible, then there will be problems! Go, enjoy yourself and have fun!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I am female and have done a dozen or so solo cruises. Most when I was single, but have even "run away from home" and hubby after getting married. When his work won't allow time to go...I'm still going. I have never felt unsafe on board a ship.
But, ports can be a different story, which is why I always take ship's tours when going solo. ALso, as soon as I board, I go to the maitre d' and ask to be seated with other people who are traveling alone. Have met and made some good friends this way.
You will be fine. Go, enjoy, relax, etc. You'll probably fall in love....with cruising!
Marty
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Captain

Sure, why not?
Do you take day trips alone? I would not be afraid to cruise alone. I've been teasingy husband that if he can't go with me i October, then I'll see him in 7 days
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Familiar Face

8) Love the wife, BUT would love to take one cruise solo. What I want, when I want, where I want, if I want. 8)
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Admiral

SpongeBetty - if you can survive the Bronx, you can survive the Caribbean! Be smart and you will be safe - don't drink too much and leave over a railing or try to climb from one balcony to another and you will only leave the ship when you want to.

Have a great time.

The other Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

YES! Do yourself a favor, please go and enjoy yourself. The trip is what you will make of it. I have done this myself. It's the way I prefer to travel. You can be pampered, you can relax, you can join in any activity you feel like. People on a cruise vacation seem always to be friendly.

There will be friends to make if you chose, alone time if you want it.

And 8 days is a perfect cruise length. You can see the mood of the ship change. First day or so people are still shrugging off their work-a-day lives, next few days people are relaxed and into having a great time, end of the cruise people are so comfortable it seems like they just plain belong on the ship. Too short a cruise and you miss out on that.

I think you can really have a great time.
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Sure, why not? Look for other singles to hang with. Mingle and I'm sure you will find that people on cruises are very friendly. And yes use all of the precautions.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Thank you all so much for responding. Your kind words will be in my thoughts when I board that ship - which I am really looking forward to.
I plan to enjoy myself, make friends, and take take lots of pictures.

I will post details of my cruise when I return.

Thanks again
SpongeBetty +
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBetty45
Thank you all so much for responding. Your kind words will be in my thoughts when I board that ship - which I am really looking forward to.
I plan to enjoy myself, make friends, and take take lots of pictures.

I will post details of my cruise when I return.

Thanks again
SpongeBetty +
Well this may be to late as you probably already booked but I will put it out there are way. Princess does singles cruises. Here is the link http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise...gles/index.jsp I think on a cruise like this a single could have a good time as long as they aren't to shy. I'm happily married, I was looking up the information for my MIL.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Beginner

Well this may be to late as you probably already booked but I will put it out there are way. Princess does singles cruises. Here is the link http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise...gles/index.jsp I think on a cruise like this a single could have a good time as long as they aren't to shy. I'm happily married, I was looking up the information for my MIL.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I will try this cruise some time in the future. This one will be interesting.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Beginner

OK, I am back from my Carnival Triumph cruise.
My cruise was great. We had to make a detour back to avoid the hurricane(s) so after Cozumel (hot, hot, hot) we sailed for two days to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (gorgeous relaxing island). I had lots of fun there - touring in a glass bottom boat and then just swimming, relaxing and eating. In Nassau, Bahamas (or New Providence Island) six ships were docked avoiding the hurricane(s). I did a tour of Atlantis which is a very nice place and there is so much to see. We skipped Jamaica and Grand Cayman but I will make up for those on another cruise. I am already planning one for next year.

I sat at the dinner table with six other people. Except for two coworkers, the rest of us were cruising alone. I believe we had the best waiter/waitress on the ship. They were just lovely. We all had fun. Whenever I would go on a tour I would always meet someone who was also cruising alone. I met a woman from Brooklyn and we attended many shows on the boat and luckily, she was my photographer and vice versa; we basically hanged out. We exchanged phone numbers on our last evening of the cruise and planned to keep in touch.

Once again, thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

SpongeBetty45
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBetty45
OK, I am back from my Carnival Triumph cruise. My cruise was great.
SpongeBetty45
Welcome home, so glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Wasn't it WONDERFUL?

You are planning your next cruise already. I am taking my next in 11 days. Solo cruising is such a comfortable way to go on vacation.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admiral

SpongeBetty,
Thanks so much for letting us know that you went and that you had a good time! Sometimes, we never hear back from people who ask questions, so your update made my day!
So, when is the next one?

Marty
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I agree with Marty it's so great to hear you enjoyed yourself. I think it gives other people considering solo cruising the push to go for it. Cause they know they can enjoy it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
SpongeBetty,
Thanks so much for letting us know that you went and that you had a good time! Sometimes, we never hear back from people who ask questions, so your update made my day!
So, when is the next one?

Marty

Thanks Marty.
Well, a co-worker asked me if I want to join a group she is trying to set up for a cruise in August 2009. I already gave her my "yes" and I'm waiting for her feedback. 8) 8)
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Default going solo

sponge, am glad you had a great time on your solo cruise. i will travel solo on my cruise in jan. i am taking a theme cruise. i would never do a reular cruise because to me it is a meat market out there, and unless you are average or better you will not meet anybody. i did a cruise with a riend 10 years ago. it was bad, she met all kinds of guys, i met squat. i have gone on a theme cruise. it was awesome. you meet people that are there for the same thing. i personally like to travel solo. i went to new york by myself and had the best time by myself.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdad
8) Love the wife, BUT would love to take one cruise solo. What I want, when I want, where I want, if I want. 8)
Is nice.

OP: I've read some good advice on this thread, GO!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Becky,
One cruise is not necessarily the norm. I would never cruise to try and meet men, even if I was single again. While I would love to do a theme cruise, any cruise can be relaxing and enjoyable. The old meat market days of cruises are so over now anyway. I can remember when singles scene onboard was wild, now you rarely see any singles parties. Go for the cruise itself.
Marty
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Beginner

SpongeBetty,

Is there a reason why you are only sailing in August? I sail solo too and always have an excellent time.

The point is August is very active period for bad storms.

By the way welcome back! :