Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Should this have made it through Security???

Just back from Majesty last week and had an awesome cruise!

I had my 18 year old niece with me. She was an art student in her last year of high school and when we got to our cabin on the ship she was going through her pocket book (which is a pretty big size). She pulled out this plastic tube - similiar to a travel toothbrush holder - and inside of it were about 6 'sculpting tools'. They are long plastic handles and the tops are metal and very sharp. They are used to sculpt clay and wood with.

She didn't realize it was in her bag, but shouldn't that have been picked up by Security? You could easily hurt someone with those razor sharp pieces!!!

Not only did they make it on the plane, but the ship also!!

We gave them to our Cabin Steward and asked her to dispose of them since she doesn't need them anymore.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Admiral

I am very surprised that they made it on the plane but not so much the ship.
There are sharp knives for your use or stabbing in the buffet lines.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Should this have made it through Security???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveVegas
Just back from Majesty last week and had an awesome cruise!

I had my 18 year old niece with me. She was an art student in her last year of high school and when we got to our cabin on the ship she was going through her pocket book (which is a pretty big size). She pulled out this plastic tube - similar to a travel toothbrush holder - and inside of it were about 6 'sculpting tools'. They are long plastic handles and the tops are metal and very sharp. They are used to sculpt clay and wood with.

She didn't realize it was in her bag, but shouldn't that have been picked up by Security? You could easily hurt someone with those razor sharp pieces!!!

Not only did they make it on the plane, but the ship also!!

We gave them to our Cabin Steward and asked her to dispose of them since she doesn't need them anymore.
Unfortunately things like that do make it through airport security. A couple of years ago a local TV station did a test of airport security and a number of items made it through the security screeners. This year it had greatly improved.

In regard to the ship, they would not have cared. There is a myriad of objects onboard that are far more dangerous than what you describe. I have brought on a Leatherman tool for many cruises and have never had a problem.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Now that I am working for the State Department, I have been on both sides of the x-ray equipment. The operators "see" the plastic tube. Unfortunately, they cannot see inside the tube. If the tube was deemed to be "suspicious" then they would have pulled it off the line and had it opened to investigate what is in the tube. I was able to practice operating the x-ray amchine with all types of weapons, including handguns. It si alarming how the guns can be positioned to appear to be harmless. Again, it is up to the operator to consider the item suspicious and then have it removed for inspection.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I believe the TSA rules state you can carry a knife as long as the blade is 3" or shorter. The sculpting blades were probably one or two in at most
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds