Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Default Is it true?

I was told by my phone carrier (Verizon) that if I have mobile to mobile it will not cost me anything the call each other, regardless of whether we are on the ship or in Mexico....

Has anyone else had experience the Verizon regarding international mobile to mobile...
We already have free roaming, and m to m. It doesn't even cost us minutes to call each other.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
I was told by my phone carrier (Verizon) that if I have mobile to mobile it will not cost me anything the call each other, regardless of whether we are on the ship or in Mexico....

Has anyone else had experience the Verizon regarding international mobile to mobile...
We already have free roaming, and m to m. It doesn't even cost us minutes to call each other.
I don't know about Mexico but you sure as heck will be charged $2.95/minute, for calls. (Verizon) My wife and I used ours on two occasions to call each other and were charged. This was in the Caribbean and in the Baltics.

I wouldn't bank on it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

You may also run up a bill on the ship. You would automatically be using the nearest cell tower, which is the ship's and they charge as much as $5 a minute. Has nothing to do with your cell phone company.
Plus, we have found that the companies will tell you everything is great, go ahead and use it all you want, then it either doesn't work or they charge you some fee that you have never heard of. Don't risk it. You could run up a huge bill. If you need to stay in touch on board, use family radios.
Marty
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Familiar Face

Hi ferrangi~

NO IT'S NOT TRUE!!!

My husband & I use AT&T. We were told by AT&T that since we have international coverage, mobile-to-mobile & free roaming, we would not have to pay anything to use our cell-phones on the ship, regardless of where we were or who we were calling. We spoke with three different AT&T associates on three different occasions & we were told the exact same thing by each one. "Use the cell phone as much as you want; the cost will remain the same". We have cruised several times & found this hard to believe but we figured, if AT&T said it, we were OK!

Needless to say, my husband used his cell phone A LOT for business while we were on our cruise (he can't seem to grasp the concept of vacation!!!). Our cell phone bill was over $750 from the calls we made on the ship. Because we could prove that we spoke to AT&T on several occasions before we sailed, they credited us 75% of the bill & we paid 25% (this "agreement" was after several aggravating hours on the phone with customer service).

Bottom line, you will pay more to use your cell phone, regardless of your carrier. When your cell phone displays "Cellular at Sea", your signal is from a tower on the ship, which costs anywhere from $2.95 to $4.95 per minute in addition to your regular cell phone bill. I am already checking into the two-way radios for our next cruise, as colorcrazie suggested!!!

Happy Cruising!

PAST CRUISES:
1998 - Carnival Jubilee
1999 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Norwegian Pearl
2008 - Norwegian Sky
2010 - Norwegian Dawn
2011 - Norwegian Epic
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pita
Hi ferrangi~

NO IT'S NOT TRUE!!!

My husband & I use AT&T. We were told by AT&T that since we have international coverage, mobile-to-mobile & free roaming, we would not have to pay anything to use our cell-phones on the ship, regardless of where we were or who we were calling. We spoke with three different AT&T associates on three different occasions & we were told the exact same thing by each one. "Use the cell phone as much as you want; the cost will remain the same". We have cruised several times & found this hard to believe but we figured, if AT&T said it, we were OK!

Needless to say, my husband used his cell phone A LOT for business while we were on our cruise (he can't seem to grasp the concept of vacation!!!). Our cell phone bill was over $750 from the calls we made on the ship. Because we could prove that we spoke to AT&T on several occasions before we sailed, they credited us 75% of the bill & we paid 25% (this "agreement" was after several aggravating hours on the phone with customer service).

Bottom line, you will pay more to use your cell phone, regardless of your carrier. When your cell phone displays "Cellular at Sea", your signal is from a tower on the ship, which costs anywhere from $2.95 to $4.95 per minute in addition to your regular cell phone bill. I am already checking into the two-way radios for our next cruise, as colorcrazie suggested!!!

Happy Cruising!
Yeah thanks for the heads up... I found out the following... I thought I pasted it everywhere I posted the info, but I guess I missed this one...

Okay, so here is what I found out about verizon... the first guy I talked to didn't know what the heck he was talking about....

Okay, here's the scoop....
On the ship.... $2.49 per min
In Mexico.... $.99 per min.

If I call from mobile to mobile either on the ship or in Mexico, I will be charged for both phones....
If I call from one phone to the other phone located in Calif. I will not be charged minutes because we have mobile to mobile. I would only be charged .99 per min.

So I will leave my second phone at home with my nephew and take my primary with me... we will only call home while in Port to check on things...

Oh by the way for all you texters out there.... .50 to send text message... and only .05 to recieve.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pita
Needless to say, my husband used his cell phone A LOT for business while we were on our cruise (he can't seem to grasp the concept of vacation!!!). Our cell phone bill was over $750 from the calls we made on the ship.
If you make calls from the ship, the ship wants a cut. They put that equipment on there and they want it to pay for itself.

Don't believe your cell carrier. When they say the calls will be free, they are assuming you're bouncing them off of their cell towers. When you're onboard the ship, those are private cell facilities, and the ship will set their own rates such that your carrier will get paid for handling the call, plus the cruise line will make their cut. The result is naturally a much higher rate.

I made one call from the Veendam on my last cruise. I wanted to check in with dad at home and make sure everything was okay. That call lasted all of five minutes or so. When I got my cell bill a month later, there was a separate line charge on the bill labeled Veendam for something like $20. In my case, though, it wasn't a surprise. I knew what the rate would be before I made that call.

So be careful with phone calls. Go email instead while on a ship. I would have done this, but dad is 94 and doesn't know beans about computers, nor does he want to. So email wasn't a possibility in his case.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually the ship has to recoup the cost of the satellite it takes to transmit the "cell" signal from the ship to a cellular shore station. That is where the real cost comes from.

There isn't a cell tower in the world than can broadcast or receive 200+ miles offshore.

Sea Mobile is the provider that makes this possible. They need their fee for this.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Why would you want to call anyone while on vacation?

Leave the phone at home, and reserve calls for emergencies, only.

If you really need to stay in touch, use the Internet (yuck).

I am addicted to my cell phone at home, but refuse to make calls on a cruise...you will be happier when you get back.

if the folks at home need you, they can call you. If it's that important, the high phone charges won't matter.

JMO.
Transatlantic / Pacific Princess Final Voyage, Oct. '01
Caribbean / RCL Adventure of the Seas, July '03
Caribbean / NCL Sky, June '04
Caribbean / Celebrity Horizon, Dec. '04
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Take any info from AT&T with a grain of salt. A huge grain of salt !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio

I am addicted to my cell phone at home, but refuse to make calls on a cruise...you will be happier when you get back.

if the folks at home need you, they can call you. If it's that important, the high phone charges won't matter.

JMO.
AMEN!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
First Mate

What about sattelite radio? Is the signal good at sea? I would imagine that the reception would be great. Does anyone know?
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Admiral

I guess I'll chime in. We were told by Verizon that we could call mobile to mobile and text with no charge. I have the plan too. Well I got my bill to the tune of $420.00.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

I believe that the cabin phones are satellite and cost about $10 a minute.
I also think that if my dad was still alive and 94 years old, I would call if he needed me to, regardless of cost and certainly regardless of whether I was on vacation or not.
Marty
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruccio

JMO.
Some of us have children and it wouldn't be a vacation if we didn't get to speak to them and check on them. Not planning on chit chatting with friends or calling work, but you can best believe that no matter how much it costs I will be calling my little ones to say good night and I love you!
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default cell phones at sea

A rental of prepaid international cell phone is the way to go. You can control your costs this way. This also ensures you will be able to have a working phone at ports of call. I should also mention that you have option to buy a prepaid international SIM card if you have one of the Verizon phones that have a slot for it. If you do and choose that route, you will need to call Verizon to get the unlock code for your phone. Don't expect them to be willing to right away though, but they are certain to be easier than AT&T since they aren't a GSM service.
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Even that may not work. In Belize, for example, the only thing you get when you try to call anywhere is a recorded message asking if you want to sign up for their cell tower service. Keep in mind, folks, that the world is not all the same as it is here. In fact, travel would be boring if it was.
Marty
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Admiral

I will chime in with a suggestion that has worked for us. We usually take a laptop with us and generally speaking it is pretty easy to find a wifi signal when you are in port (I am not talking about the ships internet service). We simply plug in our skype phone and call from wherever we can get a signal. It works great and last year it was kind of fun sitting on our balcony while anchored quite a distance from land in Grand Cayman and calling back to the US and Canada for 2 cents a minute. It seemed the wifi signal bounces quite nicely over the open water from the hotels on the shoreline. Kuki was on the ship that was anchored right next to us, I was so tempted to call his cell phone and say "HOWDY, neighbor"!

You can pick up the skype phones relatively cheaply or you can simply hook up headphones and a mic to your laptop. It will not work with the ship internet service, but is really nice in the event you need to keep in touch and don't want to break the bank doing so. I pay $30 a year for this service and it has been great. I intend to find a skype phone that doesn't require the computer and see if I can take that with me when we go to Europe in November so I don't have to haul the whole rig, wish me luck.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have T - Mobile. Last year before going to Alaska we called to find out the costs and were told calls from the ship were 4.95 a min but if we called from shore with our roaming it wouldn't be any more,we got our bill and it was as they said. This year we went from Seattle to Miami and thru the Panama Canal we called again and were told anywhere fron 2.95 to 4.95 a min but text messages were only .
.35 each out going and .15 incoming (grandparents checking on the babies), this time the bill was .35 out and .35 in (we are calling on it) anyway text message is the best, you are on vacation.