Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Can Cabin Location Adversely Affect The Quality Of A Cruise?

I have been reading a number of posted messages concerning past experiences.

We had a very bad experience on the Maasdam last year, but it would seem that others love the ship; some who were perhaps on board either at the time we were, or just before or after.

I noticed, too, that those who sang praises for the Maasdam and mentioned their accommodations tended to have veranda cabins, or better. For the first time ever, we had an ocean view cabin rather than a veranda. Our experience was nothing like what we'd come to expect from past cruises on HAL and other lines. Nor were the problems we encountered restricted to our cabin only.

So, my question is this: Can one expect problems, or more problems, with AC, lack of hot water, etc. with an inside or ocean view cabin than they would in a veranda cabin?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Can Cabin Location Adversely Affect The Quality Of A Cru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjkw11
I have been reading a number of posted messages concerning past experiences.

We had a very bad experience on the Maasdam last year, but it would seem that others love the ship; some who were perhaps on board either at the time we were, or just before or after.

I noticed, too, that those who sang praises for the Maasdam and mentioned their accommodations tended to have veranda cabins, or better. For the first time ever, we had an ocean view cabin rather than a veranda. Our experience was nothing like what we'd come to expect from past cruises on HAL and other lines. Nor were the problems we encountered restricted to our cabin only.

So, my question is this: Can one expect problems, or more problems, with AC, lack of hot water, etc. with an inside or ocean view cabin than they would in a veranda cabin?

Bob
To answer the question of your post: Can Cabin Location Adversely Affect The Quality Of A Cruise?

It really depends on the individual(s). There may be noise and some folks handle it better than others. One person's extremely noisy is another's "yeah, there was some noise but it didn't bother us." I have been under the pool areas and could hear the dragging of loungers across the deck in morning and at night and it really didn't bother me, especially when I knew what it was. Other people have been driven crazy by the sound.

I don't think you can expect to have less problems with a balcony than an inside or outside cabin but in terms of air conditioning, you can at least open the window. If the ventilation is bad in an inside or an outside you have no recourse. You also have no chance to get fresh air in the event there is a plumbing problem and there is a lingering smell.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
First Mate

I agree with Mike. But! I will add that my overall happiness seems somewhat related to booking balconies or suites. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I do think that the a/c and quality of the plumbing should be on par for all types of cabins, though. I'm certain that the cruise lines like to have those sorts of things in good order.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

I would certainly think so - after all, an inside cabin on the lowest passenger deck extremely aft would put you near the engines and depending on the construction of the ship and soundproofing - could be
horrible !! I, for one, love a balcony (actually, if I can't find a balcony to
fit my budget, I don't go). I have always been told that the best cabins
are mid-deck and mid-ship as far as possible "motion" issues. It all depends on your personal requirements - if you want the least expensive - chose an inside. If you want more space, daylite, and nicer "extras" - then definitely consider a balcony or, at least, an oceanview.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Seems to be two questions.

I have sailed in a variety of cabin types. I think the service (maintenance and cleaning) is the same irregardless of it being an interior, O/V, or balcony.

Now as to enjoyment, that is more individual interpretation. I'm sure there are some cabins which are worse than others at certain times due to noise or other variables. I've have some great cabin locations through a guarantee booking and some that were not so choice.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Passenger

What made the Maasdam so miserable was the lack of hot water and AC. I spoke with a number of other pax and was stunned to learn that those who had verandas had no problems. Those pax that I talked to that had ocean views, including on the promenade deck , and inside cabins had the same problems we had. It just seems oddly coincidental that the upper decks (more expensive) had no problems, while the lower 'steerage' decks/cabins did.

I actually prefer an ocean view cabin. The wife and I no longer smoke, so a balcony isn't as important as it once was. I happily noticed, however, that there was more closet space in the Maasdam's ocean view than there was in the Zuiderdam's veranda.

I guess there's no definitive answer. It seems like one pays their money and takes their chances (like everything else in life).

I'm still hoping for more opinions, etc.

Bob
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Like any mechanical system of that size the utilities work in zones. The breakdown could just as easily been in another area and left the most expensive cabins without A/C or hot water. It is not uncommon to have problems in one area while other areas are fine. The cost of the cabin is not a factor but the location within the ship is. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Hmmmmm. Interesting thought. We were portside, far aft. And it did seem like, as far as the hot water is concerning, it was like the 'rolling blackouts' that some areas of the country has suffered.

Bob
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Aboard newer ships, regardless of line, all of the services (AC/water/sewer/power) is compartmentalized as each cabin is constructed miles away from the ship and brought over and slid into their place, connecting to the central resources on the ship. There should be no issues between internal and say external cabins.

Now your broader question regarding can a cabin effect your cruise enjoyment.... absolutely! Both from the side and category of cabin to the phyisical location of the cabin. Just ask folks who had cabins far forward that have experienced a ship dropping anchor. My gosh the sound is deafening in the whole front quarter of the ship. Also cabins aft tend to have vibrations and some rumblings from the engines. Additionally, cabins over or under busy public areas are also not fun. We once had a cabin beside an elevator and the stairs. It was a nightmare - thank goodness it was only a 4 day cruise.

When we decide on a cruise, we search the deck plans for cabins with only passenger cabins above and below, toward the center of the ship and away from major areas such as crew areas, elevators, stairs. That usually ensures the quietest cabins. Doesn't guarantee quiet, but in life there are no guarantees.

Anyway any day on a cruise is exponentially better than any work day so I tend to count my blessings of just being on a cruise ship and let it go form there! Happy cruising!
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I too, would agree to book with cabin decks above and below your selection, it's the most quiet.....But, have to say, I have never had any nosie issues with elevators near any of our cabins..We prefer not to have the dreaded long walk at the end of the night.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I too, would agree to book with cabin decks above and below your selection, it's the most quiet.....But, have to say, I have never had any nosie issues with elevators near any of our cabins..We prefer not to have the dreaded long walk at the end of the night.
You are right. The way the newer ships are designed elevator noise is a thing of the past. We are just paraoid since our first cruise on the Carnival Mardis Gras back in the early 80's when we had an inside cabin surrounded on two sides by the wooden stairs ( it was an old ship with many fine wooden fixtures) and a third side by the elevator. It took me over 12 years to get the Mrs. back on a cruise ship. After 14 other cruises I probably should disregard the elevator/stairs fobia I have.
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Admiral

In the past, I almost always booked GTY cabins, and more often than not got a good upgrade. Having said that, two times out of the last three cruises I was assigned, shall we say, less than desirable cabins, once way way forward, (yes, the dreaded anchor noise, as well as the waves hitting the hull while underway), and last cabin in the aft end of the ship (yes, the constant droan of the engines and props when underway). Because of that, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) has insisted that we select our cabins for future cruises, even though it may cost a few bucks more, and we won't get the upgrades. (Won't get the cabins with the noise either)

Ken
"Sky"
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

Our last big cruise was 34 days on the Pacific Princess, from Sydney to Honolulu. We had booked an inside guarantee and ended up with a lovely balcony!! However, that room was almost completely forward, right over the main theater! We would often lay in bed at night and listen to the music from the later show! It was not terribly loud and we actually kind of enjoyed it! The TV would have covered the sounds from below, it was just not an issue. And yes, the anchor was loud! But it only lasted for a minute or so and it imeant we had stopped in some new and exotic place!! Pinch me, we are in Bora Bora!! or Raiatea, or Samoa!! I would actually book that stateroom by choice the next time! Aside from those two sources of noise, it was very quiet down at the far end of the hall, only one cabin and an owner's suite beyond us, no one across the hall.
That being said- our very first cruise was totally ruined by a sick, crying baby next door. That baby, and/or his toddler sibling, cried 23 hours a day, making even a nap a total impossibility. By the last of 4 days, sleep deprivation has turned me into a total animal- I would have gladly CHOKED those stupid kids. I was too tired to enjoy anything. And I know I wasn't the only one. You could hear them crying out in the hallways for 8 rooms in either direction. That was 8 years ago and it still makes me angry when I think about it (which I don't do very often!!)