CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   has anyone taken a train (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/356570-has-anyone-taken-train.html)

phall September 24th, 2008 02:44 PM

has anyone taken a train

Does anyone know how hard it would be to take the train to the port at ft lauderdale? Im taking a ship out of there for 10 days and thought it might be cheaper than leaving my car for 10 days.

colorcrazie September 24th, 2008 04:03 PM

I don't think that the train goes to the actual port, so you would also have to catch a cab from the train station to your ship. You didn't say where you are coming from, but you might end up spending more, not less. Plus, the hassle of schlepping your luggage around.
Marty

dina September 24th, 2008 04:07 PM

I looked at the rates. It's $32 per person each way. You would probably have to catch a cab from the train station to the port. It looks like they only run twice a day but you can check your dates as well. Sounds like a plan to me. Wish I could do that. It would take me 4 days to get to Florida from Michigan. HAHAHAHA

Tampa, FL (TPA) To Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL)
Select Service Departs Arrives Duration Amenities Seats/
Rooms
$32.00 91 Silver Star
Tampa, FL (TPA)
12:45 pm 25-SEP-08 Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL)
5:12 pm 25-SEP-08 4h 27m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 1 Reserved Coach Seat

Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL) To Tampa, FL (TPA)
Select Service Departs Arrives Duration Amenities Seats/
Rooms
$32.00 92 Silver Star
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FTL)
12:30 pm 10-OCT-08 Tampa, FL (TPA)
5:05 pm 10-OCT-08 4h 35m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 1 Reserved Coach Seat

colorcrazie September 24th, 2008 04:13 PM

Did I read that right, that it arrives in Ft. L at 5 p.m.? That would mean going the day before, since most ships leave between 4 and 5. So, if the intent is to save money, adding cost of a hotel really changes the picture.

And, actually, the OP did not say where he/she was coming from. But since we do live in Tampa, it was still usefull info.
Marty

Mike M September 24th, 2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Did I read that right, that it arrives in Ft. L at 5 p.m.? That would mean going the day before, since most ships leave between 4 and 5. So, if the intent is to save money, adding cost of a hotel really changes the picture.

And, actually, the OP did not say where he/she was coming from. But since we do live in Tampa, it was still usefull info.
Marty

Marty,

The OP's profile shows that she is from Tampa. Good information Dina. It is still good to know in the event she would like to come in a day early and enjoy a little of Fort Lauderdale.

Take care,
Mike

dina September 25th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie

Marty

Hi Marty,

Those times are departure times with approximately 4.5 to 5 hour travel time. It would be nice and relaxing I would think.

colorcrazie September 25th, 2008 04:32 PM

Thanks, guys, for clearing that up for me. I've been blonde all my life and it has been a challenge at times. LOL
Since the OP was looking to save money, though, this still doesn't seem like a viable solution, given the added hotel cost.
Marty, who loves trains almost like cruises, so a train to a cruise....aaah

thinfool1 September 27th, 2008 09:15 AM

Re: has anyone taken a train

Quote:

Originally Posted by phall
Does anyone know how hard it would be to take the train to the port at ft lauderdale? Im taking a ship out of there for 10 days and thought it might be cheaper than leaving my car for 10 days.

I dunno about the train, but here is another way.

As I understand it, there are no drop-off fees for rental cars within the state of Florida. Check pricing on one way rentals for your needs.

Some rental companies will even 'pick you up' and drop you off.

The parking rates at FLL make this an ever more attractive alternative.

colorcrazie September 27th, 2008 03:06 PM

You might also consider Cruise Connection bus. Less hassle and a tad cheaper than driving yourself.
Let me know if you want the link. Can book online.
Marty

phall September 27th, 2008 03:51 PM

marty

I found the connection. Can you tell me a little about what to expect.
How long does it take ect. Id be leaving out of Brandon
penny

colorcrazie September 28th, 2008 03:15 PM

Hi Penny,
They have a pickup time for each stop on the bus route. The location is usually a fast food place. Do NOT leave your car there. Try to get a friend to drop you off or get a taxi. Otherwise, your car will probably not be there when you return. They tend to be very efficient, so get there a tad early. 5 minutes late and the bus may be gone. Each bus has a series of stops, as many as a dozen, but usually in a relatively small area en route to the other coast. Once you get past those, it's an express ride to the port. It is usually about 6 hrs, which is not that much more than driving yourself. They usually have a stop half way along at a fast food spot for folks to stretch their legs and grab a bite to eat.
Other than that, it is your basic bus ride. Smelly toilet in the back, and ichy seats...but you can just relax. I often nap enroute.
At the end of the cruise, they load you back up and you do the whole thing in reverse. Let me kinow if there is anything else you want to know.
Marty