Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Captain

Default Cruise complaints

We've been on 5 total cruises (Commodore, RCCL, NCL, HAL, Celebrity) and loved all 5. Were they perfect? No. Did we have a terrific time? Yes.

I read a lot of cruise reviews and comments on these sites and have noticed what seems to be a trend for many bad reviews and comments. Many many complaints.

And IMHO many of the complaints sure seem minor compared to the "problems" which cause these cruisers to have such horrible times on their trips.

No towel animals! (I've never had towel animals)
Confiscated the booze I was smuggling aboard!
Luggage arrived late
Waiter didn't remember that I like X with dinner
Buffet was crowded
Carpets were worn
food was horrible
Dancers couldn't dance
People had the nerve to wear jeans in the dining room.
gym didn't have enough treadmills

And on and on............

So, is the cruise industry really deteriorated this much? Should I be concerned when finally getting around to our next cruise....no these bad reviews won't stop us........?

It does seem that most of these negative comments come from cruisers that have cruised a lot. In fact, I can't recall a negative review from any first time cruisers.

What's the feeling out there? Is it that bad now? I would guess not.
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When someone has a compaint of consequence, not the list mentioned, my opinion is, it should be addressed on a ship, just as you would address it on land...being on a cruise ship does not justify, not addressing something legitimate that effects one's cruise..in the proper manner, I would add.

If the passenger is a person where everything bothers them, or someone who's expectations of what they have imagined their cruise should be, and it does not measure up, small things can get a life of their own.

Most people do roll with the flow, unless, there is a major glitch...the Crankies, will whine, and come back and post...

Enjoy your cruise...99 % of us do

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Admiral

WOW,,,,if I were you, I'd give a lot of thought to what you're doing before you book your next cruise. If you're not careful,,,you might book a ship and bet a cabin where you got NO TOWEL ANIMALS! What could be worse? The next thing that'll happen, is that your bus boy will probably forget that you like iced tea instead of water! I just can't imagine such a horrible experience!
How stupid can people be? I've been on well over 100 cruises over the years, and yes, I've had cruises that had slightly overweight dancers, and no towel animals, and maybe the frozen yogurt was strawberry instead of chocolate,,,,but I had a GREAT time anyway.

Ken
"SKY"
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Captain

I believe that no matter what you do there will always be people who just likes to complain. Now I've been on an All Inclusive and hated it. But that was because it was not my thing. I've only been on 1 cruise but I loved it. It was more to my style of vacationing. I think if the people who complained where really as miserable as some state, they wouldn't cruise anymore. I think there just wanting to sound off and maybe just have somebody listen and reply

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Some people wouldn't be happy if they weren't complaining about something It's their vacation after all so they should want to be happy!!!
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old October 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Familiar Face

OH NO !!! A cruise with no towel animals? 34 cruises & almost always had friends in my room at night wearing my sunglasses that I left on the table. Guess when I go on my next cruise, if there aren't any animals, I 'll talk to my hubby instead of my towel creatures.
Sometimes it's difficult to listen to all the complaints about cruising. I know a lot of changes have been made due to cutbacks, but alot of the changes also come from some of the younger new generation of cruisers that the lines are trying to attract.
Some people just can't be pleased. I guess to each their own.
Still, all in all, you can't beat the value of a cruise when you figure in all that we get. Food, entertainment, activities, the different ports, etc.

Old February 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Familiar Face

I, too, have had problems with cruises. But they were NEVER bad enough to ruin my cruise!! We had some serious issues on the last cruise, but it was not enough to make us stop cruising. We're just happy to be away and on vacation.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I believe anyone who leaves a negative feedback, went on their cruise with a negative attitude. For goodness sake your on vacation just relax and enjoy the beauty of being catered to. I for one have never in 7 cruises had a bad expierence. I was just happy to be on vacation. So enjoy your cruises you deserve it.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
First Mate

yes, i used to be one of those people who started noting 'negatives' on the first day, then i learned to note the negatives and tear up the list before complaining or entering them on the cruise evaluation form. most were so very minor anyway -- and the very few that weren't were saved for the questionnaire. you'd be surprised how after a day or two aboard a wonderful ship the little things tend to disappear. to cruise is heaven.

if the fresh flower displays in the atrium were old and wilted, did i notice? well,, of course. did a ask around? of course. did it ruin my cruise, definitely not. some things i just, as the younger folks say, learn to 'suck up' and go on.
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think it is a bit naive of anyone to think that someone could go on a cruise, have problems, that could impact the enjoyment of the cruise,and not be a bit upset over their experiences. I don' know of anyone who goes on vacation, with thoughts of complaining. We all work too darn hard for those vacation dollars, and we all want to relax and enjoy every minute.

Some people harp on the small stuff, that's when you gotta go with the flow, but when toilets overflow, no air conditioning, things of that sort happen, who isn't going to rightly, be upset..Complaints of that level, should be handled by the highest level of customer service, and handled swiftly. Swiflty would be desired, but the ship could have issues that delay even the best of problem solving personnel...

Communication is the key I feel, in allaying someones temper. Things happen, big and small..what would run off my back, could set another cruiser on edge..But we cannot dimiss a cruisers legit complaints, just as we are thrilled to hear of a perfect 10 cruise...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
First Mate

anyone out there ever have a 'perfect 10' cruise -- or even a day of life, for that matter???
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Captain

My original post was not of course directed at major problems like bad plumbing, etc but what I consider petty "problems" like no towel animals or worn furniture.

Of course the big problems like plumbing and A/C are a real pain but even then if the crew is fast and efficiant with solving the problem, why complain later?

To me the only time to really complain other than the evaluation forms (yes, they should know about worn areas) is if they don't work the problem immediately and you get stuck for a long time with bad plumbing or A/C type problems.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

I let nothing ruin my fun. I belive that everything you do is what you make it.

I did not have a cabin steward, so I asked someone else to help me.
They over charged me, it was fixed the day we docked.
The ship caught fire, I made it home safe.

I think these people are overworked as it is. I try not to complain unless things are really really bad. I was told by one bar tendner that he has to work 14 hour shifts aday everyday. He is older and can not get a decent job back in his home country (India) and has a wife and kids to support. He told me that they only have 18 hours to leave the US after they start their vacation or end their contract. Can you imaige buying a air ticket in 18 hours and the price it would cost? And the lines does NOT pay their way. He did say that he makes more money on this ship then he would in India but he feels like a slave.

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm hardly the pro many people on these boards can claim. Although, truth be told I have over six years comulative time at sea. Unfortunately, all but three weeks was on board a submarine in the USN. Talk about lousy food...

Anyway, I have been on three vacation cruises and I had the occasional large problem but everyone was taken care of promptly when I brought it to the attention of a staff member. There are always little things that one can choose to complain about but why? Life is too short to complain all the time. I may come off as a Pollyanna but I go out of my way to enjoy myself, especially when I am on vacation.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old February 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Admiral

We cruise to get away from all the hustle of everyday life. People are going to complain no matter what. Have I ever had a cruise that was a "perfect 10", no but I sure have had a lot of fun on the 9's, 8"s, 7's......