Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Beginner

Default CCL Inspiration or NCL Norwegian Dawn?

My husband and I are planning our second cruise together, and while we were both happy with our cruise on the Carnival Victory, we both kind of want to try NCL. The cruise on the Inspiration is a little less expensive, and we would only be driving to Tampa, which would also save us money. However, I've been told that the extra money to go on the Dawn would be worth it.

Does anybody have an opinion they would care to share with us? Any and all information would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Beginner

I have taken Carnival and NCL and perfer Carnival. We took NCL from Seattle to Alaska last year and found that there were alot of extra cost on board and the staff was not very friendly. Most disapointing was the food on NCL.......we are leaving on a CARNIVAL cruise again this month and will always be a loyal Carnival guest
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Have been on both of these within the last year. Entertainment on NCL was awesome. Not as good on the Inspiration, which was a disappointment, as both lines usually do this well.
The food on the Dawn was really good in the main dining room, not so great in all the other restaraunts. You would think if you pay extra, if would be better, but that was not the case for us. Food on Inspiration was not as good as I expect from Carnival. Probably just a new chef, as others who have gone on her said it was great.
Desserts on the Dawn were horrid. Helped me not to gain weight, but I prefer that I get to choose whether to indulge or not.
However, as ships go....Inspiration wins hands down. So much room on the Dawn was taken up by their 14 restaraunts that it is a very large vessel, but mostly just money making options. The Inspiration is simply one of the best ships out there in my book.
If you have any specific questions, ask. I love thinking about cruises, past, present, or future.
Marty
Old October 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Beginner

Thanks Ya'll! You both kind of confirmed what I'd been thinking all along. We live fairly frugally throughout the year so we can have a good time on vacation, and I want to get the most bang for our buck . The thought of paying that much more for a cruise and then paying extra for dining, etc, seemed a little much. I'd much rather use that money for a cool shore excursion, or, even better, SHOPPING!

I was happy with the food on Carnival and my husband was, too. In fact, when his Grandma asked him what his favorite thing he ate on the cruise was, he quickly replied " the hotdogs on the lido deck!" Oh, to have such simple tastes.

Besides, we'd get free drinks at the welcome back party!

Thanks ya'll!
Old October 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Admiral

You're welcome. Have fun...lots of it!
Marty
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Inspriation last year and I have to say that I had the best time EVER! The entertainment was great, and I easily became friends with another couple on board! The food in the dining room was fabulous, and our waiter was out of this world! If we ever needed anything the staff was there to help and assist us in a timely mannor. Room service was good too. We booked our excursion on the cruise and that was easy. Hands down, the Inspiration will be a fun and memorable time for you! I hope you enjoy your vacation!!

Carnival Glory ~ July 2009
Carnival Inspiration ~ August 21, 2008
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I did not like carnival Inspiration. Now, I liked the Carnival Miracle and if you said Carnival Legend. (also out of Tampa, but 7 day instead of 5 day) I would say go on the Legend. but I would pick NCL Dawn over Carnival Inspiration.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Admiral

mom,
You are right in that the Legend beats both of the others hands down.
Marty