Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

On the Brilliance of the Seas in the Mediterranean this August
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Familiar Face

Serenade of the Seas. 7 night Southern Caribbean. 36 days!

RCI Grandeur 5/2014
RCI Jewel 5/2013
RCI Serenade 7/2011
RCI Enchantment 5/2010
RCI Grandeur 5/2009
RCI Independence 1/2009
RCI Explorer 1/2007
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default RCI??

I note that this thread is under Royal Caribbean....does this mean if we haven't booked RCI we can't reply??
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I've only sailed RCI once in the last 2 years. I posted our cruises on other companies including our river cruise and no one jumped on me.

Right now we don't have any cruises booked!!!! It's been years since we didn't have at least one in the offing.:evil:

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Familiar Face

Talking Liberty of the Sea "June"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Tell us what cruises are in the planning stages, or what you have booked.... Some of us would like to dream vicariously through you
I am taking the Liberty of the Seas Cruise out of Barcelona touring the Western Carribean - St Tropez, Nice, Florence, Rome, and Naples. I am most excited to be traveling to Rome and Pompeii (Amalfi Coast).

I am spending 5 nights in London and 1 night in Barcelona before we leave. As I booked my Cruise in March of 2010 (well over 450 days ago) and have been counting down I feel like I can't catch my breath or am so excited I might pee my pants. (not really) My friends laughed as I announced each mile stone, 400 days, 300, 200, 100 etc. Until I could use only my fingers and toes to count. Today I am on 1 hand until I leave. Needless to say my bags are packed! I need to weigh them -- under 50 pounds.

I live in Texas and it have been in the high 90's and humid. It is miserable. I looked at the weather in London last night low 70's in the day and 50's at night. I am not excited about the 50's but who cares I'll be away from TEXAS!

Galaxysunshine
Carnival Jubilee 2002
Liberty of the Sea 2011
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I booked my honeymoon cruise on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I grabbed it May of '10, and got an E2 on deck 7 just aft of the elevators.

This is my first vacation in 18 years, and a honeymoon trip which includes my fiancée's birthday celebration. We're doing July 21st from Bayonnne, NJ on a 9 night Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and San Juan PR cruise.

We grabbed up Portofino for her birthday night, and once again for the murder mystery dinner theater.

This is her first cruise ever (she inherits my diamond member status), and I really hope it's special.

The only thing I have in question that I can think of at the moment is when to arrive to board. I hear 10:30, I hear noon, I'm not yet sure which I'll do. Back when I was a yearly cruiser leaving from New York City, we got there around 11ish and paid a porter we knew to get us on early. Unfortunately, those days are loooong gone, and we don't know porters anymore. When should we get there?
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Aeonoix,
I would plan on getting to the port no earlier than 11:00 or noon....You should be able to start boarding, but normally your cabin won't be ready until 1:00, so you can grab some lunch while you wait.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the reply Donna! I thought about arriving at 11:00 to board early. I've read they will board us, and we are Diamond members (my fiancée getting my benefits) so hopefully we'll get priority boarding.

I figure she'll want to wander around anyhow, not head to the cabin. We'll want to get our ice show tickets, and such, grab a bite. She's never been on a cruise before, and this is a completely new experience for her! I'm actually not sure who I'm more excited for, her, or me... lol.
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Unless they changed the process of getting the ice show tickets. It was a day or two into the cruise before they were available, but good idea to find out.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonix01 View Post
Thanks for the reply Donna! I thought about arriving at 11:00 to board early. I've read they will board us, and we are Diamond members (my fiancée getting my benefits) so hopefully we'll get priority boarding.

I figure she'll want to wander around anyhow, not head to the cabin. We'll want to get our ice show tickets, and such, grab a bite. She's never been on a cruise before, and this is a completely new experience for her! I'm actually not sure who I'm more excited for, her, or me... lol.
You should be able to start boarding about 11. Yes, you will both get priority boarding.

Don't worry about knowing or not knowing a porter - they don't have any special pull to get you on early. You still have to go through security like everyone else and the porter's can't go with you.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Now, I'm more than sure you're 100% right. Back 18+ years ago, our friend on the pier always got us on much earlier than we were supposed to get on. Agin, that was a very very very long time ago. Security, and much else have changed. I remember cruises with Bon Voyage parties in cabin for friends and family who would have to leave the ship just before the cruise would set sail.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Unless they changed the process of getting the ice show tickets. It was a day or two into the cruise before they were available, but good idea to find out.
Donna, Thank you for your quick and courteous replies. It's nice to see how warm and friendly this board can be.

My Aunt has gone on explorer for several years, and mentioned something about getting the ice show tix on day one. I'm not sure if she's right. It's kind of hard to tell because RCI customer support seems to know nothing about on-board activities.
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Now, I'm more than sure you're 100% right. Back 18+ years ago, our friend on the pier always got us on much earlier than we were supposed to get on. Agin, that was a very very very long time ago. Security, and much else have changed. I remember cruises with Bon Voyage parties in cabin for friends and family who would have to leave the ship just before the cruise would set sail.
I remember those days too. I used to sail back and forth to England with my mom on Cunard and there were always people onboard who left quickly once the announcement was made "all ashore that's going ashore." Easier times back then.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I remember those days too. I used to sail back and forth to England with my mom on Cunard and there were always people onboard who left quickly once the announcement was made "all ashore that's going ashore." Easier times back then.
Indeed, weren't those the good ole days? Going with mom to England must have been great! Were those long cruises, or were you leaving from the northern U.S. or Canada?
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Indeed, weren't those the good ole days? Going with mom to England must have been great! Were those long cruises, or were you leaving from the northern U.S. or Canada?
They were 10 day cruises leaving either from Montreal or New York - depending I think on the time of year.

I liked to spend a lot of time in the library onboard. I still have some black and white photos from onboard at least one or two cruises. I also have a post card I picked up on one of the ships. I see I dated it September 1961.

We always sailed into Liverpool which was great as we were always going to Manchester where my mom's family live.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
They were 10 day cruises leaving either from Montreal or New York - depending I think on the time of year.

I liked to spend a lot of time in the library onboard. I still have some black and white photos from onboard at least one or two cruises. I also have a post card I picked up on one of the ships. I see I dated it September 1961.

We always sailed into Liverpool which was great as we were always going to Manchester where my mom's family live.
That's great to hear. I'm sure going across the pond was always a great experience. I would love to cruise or even fly out to the UK and Europe. It's just not in the financial cards for now. One day though. I'm happy to hear such great memories like that. It's also nice to know you have photographs from back then. Cruising back then was not as common as it is now. It was a MAJOR luxury for most people I know, and I don't go back before the late 80's or so in cruising life.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Familiar Face

Hello everyone. We're booked on the Radiance of the Seas for September 16, 2011 from Vancouver BC to Hawaii. Hope to meet someone from the forums onboard.

RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 – E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 – S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 – E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 – W. Caribbean
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Freedom of the Seas-July 3rd to July 10th-Eastern Caribbean

So excited!!
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That's great to hear. I'm sure going across the pond was always a great experience. I would love to cruise or even fly out to the UK and Europe. It's just not in the financial cards for now. One day though. I'm happy to hear such great memories like that. It's also nice to know you have photographs from back then. Cruising back then was not as common as it is now. It was a MAJOR luxury for most people I know, and I don't go back before the late 80's or so in cruising life.
My mom wasn't using it as a luxury. It was a means to an end. Flying was generally in its infancy for regular folks and the cost was prohibitive. As we had come to Canada originally on a ship, it was natural that we went back to England to visit the family by ship.

In retrospect, compared to today's flights it was a luxury and still is.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
My mom wasn't using it as a luxury. It was a means to an end. Flying was generally in its infancy for regular folks and the cost was prohibitive. As we had come to Canada originally on a ship, it was natural that we went back to England to visit the family by ship.

In retrospect, compared to today's flights it was a luxury and still is.
Indeed. When you look back at how much cruising has changed it's insane. The Nordic Prince and Song of America were huge ships until the Majesty of the Seas Came. Then Explorer, Liberty / Freedom, Oasis / Allure. They're insane now. How much bigger and wider can these things get?

I personally love the idea of bigger, newer and fancier. What are your thoughts?
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Indeed. When you look back at how much cruising has changed it's insane. The Nordic Prince and Song of America were huge ships until the Majesty of the Seas Came. Then Explorer, Liberty / Freedom, Oasis / Allure. They're insane now. How much bigger and wider can these things get?

I personally love the idea of bigger, newer and fancier. What are your thoughts?
DH and I sailed on the Song of America. It was his first cruise. No balconies, no special anything, but it was wonderful. Also, the only time we were invited to the Capt. table for dinner.

We are D+ now and have sailed on every type of ship RCL has. Our favourite are the Radiance class. The others are fine. I always vowed I wouldn't go on the Oasis class. I was invited to a Seminar on the Allure back in February so I broke down and went. My SIL was with me as DH didn't really want to go.

She and I had a good time. First time every for her and I to travel together without DH's. We enjoyed it and enjoyed the ship, but overall if was too big for us and we wouldn't do that class again.

Radiance and Solstice classes for us.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 18th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Already booked to go on The Enchantment of the Seas August 25th 2011 (9 day cruise) I cantt wait! <3
Old June 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Admiral

We have booked a transatlantic on the Celebrity Equinox November 2012.
We may take a little 4 day on Monarch of the Seas this December-not booked yet-depends on my MIL who said she wanted to do a short cruise- we told her we would go with her then. We can't before-so it is up to her.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Aug 5 2011 Monarch of the Seas, 3 nights to the Bahamas & Dec 2011 Freedom of the seas, St. marteen St. Thomas, bahamas
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Default Trying again for a radience class ship cruise

We are booked on the Jewel of the seas for the Dec19-24, 2011 cruise. We were booked on the Radiance of the Seas this same time last year but had to cancel because I was in the process of getting dental implants and could not eat with my temporary partial, and could not bring my self to "redneck it" in the dinningroom.

We were also booked on the Jewel of the Seas 5 years ago for a fall 2007 transatlantic. RCI cancled that cruise to do a six weeks long drydock-so we ended up on Celebrity Constellation instead.

My daughter wants to know about the thermal suite-what it is-anyone know?

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
First Mate

Default G'Day Mate

22 nights Australia/New Zealand cruise tour

Cheers!

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Emerald Princess - Nov. 28/11 - southern Caribbean.

Going with friends. We've decided we need to try another princess as we were on a small princess before. This time we're going to try a larger one.

I'm afraid we've outgrown RCL but really like Celebrity.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Emerald Princess - Nov. 28/11 - southern Caribbean.

Going with friends. We've decided we need to try another princess as we were on a small princess before. This time we're going to try a larger one.

I'm afraid we've outgrown RCL but really like Celebrity.
We will be on Royal this Dec. with our daughter-almost the same exact cruise we canceled last Dec. except it is 5 day and we go to costa Maya also.

Next year we will be on Celebrity for our transatlantic. We are also spending a week in Italy-yeah! Our daughter will not be able to do the TA-as she has to get back to work-but as the week in Italy is Thanksgivng week-she will join us for that.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Admiral

March 17,2012 :Celebrity Silhouette
Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My husband & I are on the LIberty of the Seas (RC) Oct. 15th-22nd for our 1st Mediterranean cruise. We are celebrating his 65th BD. This will be our "dream vacation", so we are sooooo excited & very much looking forward to it. We have a room on the ship with a balcony & hope to enjoy the sea air with a glass of wine every evening. This tour departs from Barcelona, Spain & from there visits Nice & Caanes (France), Rome, Florence, & Isle of Capri (Italy). We feel very Blessed to be able to make this trip!! If any of your "seasoned cruisers" have taken this cruise before, it would be great to hear of your experiences.